Reload this Page >

Opinions -- Kauai, Maui and BI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Kristin

Which two of these islands would you visit for a 2 week August honeymoon trip? In Kauai, we'd stay at the Sheraton, in Maui at either the Renaissance Wailea or the Four Seasons (depending on how much we decide to spend), and on BI, we'd stay at Mauna Kea. We will scuba dive a couple of days, want to do some deep sea fishing, golf is not important, want great beaches and snorkeling, nightlife not important but good food is, and we'll want to do a stunning helicoper trip. I think BI sounds great, but I'm afraid I'll miss the lushness of the other islands. I know we'll be happy whichever way we go, but I'd love to hear what others think. Thanks.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Beth

Kristin,

I have visited 2 of the 3 and will be visiting the 3rd in two weeks. Maui is nice and there are many things to do, the Big Island is very diverse with many climates. I have really enjoyed them both but have been told by many that Kauai is the best (will find out soon). We are staying at the Sheraton when we are there so I can give you feedback when we return.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:30 AM
dlk

We stayed in Kauai for 2 weeks about 3 years ago. It's fabulous and plenty to do for the whole 2 weeks. However, I would recommend staying one week south and one week either north or east. We stayed at Lawaii Beach Resort near Poipu and that was great for Waimea Canyon and things south and eastern. But we missed a lot of the stuff in the North beause we didn't want to have to drive all the time. Then again, if you're willing to split the weeks, why not spend a week in Kauai and a week on the BI?

Cheapest and best food in Kauai was a little hole in the wall with about 20 counter spaces.... Hamura Saimin Noodle. Get a fabulous noodle soup, chicken or beef skewer and 6" high passion fruit pie for under $6!!! And the cafe next to it is great too! You may wonder when you find it in a warehouse type district, but it's worth the trip! We ate there at least 4 or 5 times!

Aloha!!!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Jean

Kauai, hands down over Maui. Great Beaches, Great Restaurants (yum, The Beach House on Poipu Rd), and a much better helicopter ride. Try Safari for helicopter rides--has about the best safety record!

There isn't as much night life in Kauai as in Maui, but the traffic in Maui is becoming awful. Haven't been to the Big Island so can't compare.

The Sheraton in Kauai is great. Poipu area has great snorkeling, as does a beach way out past the light house (there are some caves out there) Can't think of the name right now. (it's a long, but beautiful drive, whereas close to the Sheraton there is so much.

Happy Marriage!
Jean

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Rich

We are partial to Kauai. Have traveled there 24 times since 1985. Can not beat the beauty of this island. I have some info , tips, etc. If you are interested email and I will forward to you.