Opinions about Paradise Point in San Diego?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:27 PM
kevin

Opinions about Paradise Point in San Diego?

There have been several negative postings about the Paradise Point resort on Mission Bay in San Diego, e.g. roaches, scum on the ponds/lagoons, dirty Bay. Expedia has a $175/night rate for March, as well a price for the near-by Catamarand at under $140/night? Any opinions? Thanks!!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:45 PM
xxx

If you are deciding between the 2 go with the Catamaran. That is my 2 cents worth.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:57 PM
I love

Yeah some of the people on this board have issues. I am going to do this to set the record straight because I feel PP has been unfairly thrashed to those wanting a resort in San Diego.

Paradies Point is a bayside resort in San Diego across from Sea World, on the outskirts of Pacific Beach. All of San Diego Bay is not what anyone would call pristine. There are occasional sewage spills. When this happens, signs are posted warning that this has happened so you don't get in. It doesn't ever smell bad, and judging from the number of people that swim in in and play around on their water toys every day I would say it's perfectly safe. I, myself, have gone swimming/waterskiiing/jet skiing on occasion and in my 25 years in San Diego I have had no adverse reactions. There are lots of fun things to do at Paradise Point and I like staying in the cottages vs. a big impersonal hotel. It has tennis courts, a great pool, fun bars and restaurants, even a marina where you can rent boats and other water toys. It was remodeled just a few years ago when Princess Cruises bought it (used to be Vacation Village) and then again when Paradise Point bought it. I have never seen or heard of cockroach problems and I have spent plenty of time there with visiting family members.

Having said all that, I would stay at the Catamaran simply for location (unless you're looking to get away from the action). It has the same tropical atmosphere and is on the other side of the bay but is also across the street from the beach, near lots of action and off property opportunities. It also has a fun bar and restaurant if you want to stay on property. The ONLY downside here is that the rooms aren't that big, unless you get a suite.

I hoped I helped. And no, I don't work for PP (you'll note I rec the Cat), I just hate to see all of the misinformation that gets on this board by people who have obviously never even stayed at certain properties.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:35 PM
Katie H

We stayed at Paradise Point about 2 years ago while my husband attended a business conference. It was clean and comfortable. Very enjoyable week.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:47 PM
xxx

I love S.D. I was raised in San Diego, and I happen to have been there when Vacation Village was first built. I know both locations very well, they are both OLD, the Cat happens to be located in an area closer to the beach.Close to Pacific Beach Blvd. Garnet, etc. restaurants etc. By the way most people who actually RESIDE IN SAN DIEGO, don't stay at the Hotels. Maybe visit, but certainly not stay overnight.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
I love

I reside in SD and have many family members/friends from college/etc that come to visit and stay in nice hotels. When I go visit them, I see the hotel and its property, I also hear their feedback about the place for referrals for others who would come to visit. I have also used some of the facilities..for example, we have rented sail boats from the PP marina. In addition, all these places have restaurants, which I have visited for various reasons.