Reload this Page >

Opinion on Hilton Waikaola on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 09:42 PM
katherine

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Is it worth the cost?

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 01:33 AM
drpace

Yes. I vacationed there a few years ago with my wife. I used FF certificates (1/2price $250 room rate). It was definately worth it at that price. I thought that it was a beautiful resort. Is very unique with canals with boats to take you to your room, many pools, a lagoon, dolphins (which we paid to swim with), and several good restaurants. The only downside is that it is bit of a drive to the nearest town (12miles)---so eating at the resort got to be expensive. I am not sure what the room rates are, but at the time they were competitive with other resorts of this quality on the islands.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 04:43 AM
Vic

My information is dated. We stayed at the Waikaola about 6 years ago when it was a Hyatt. The place is like a miniture Disneyland with trains and boats and Dolphin encounters. They have a large number of pools connected by water slides.
It's hard to believe but the big island is devoid of good beaches. The Waikaola was importing sand from Santa Monica when we were there. The only good beach within a reasonable distance is at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.
At least when we were there, it was like Disneyland for another reason. There was a total lack of tranquility, it always seemed crowded where ever we went. I think the place draws curiosity seekers from other hotels. We didn't mind it much because we went there to entertain my eight year old daughter. She loved the place.
If you don't have young children, its rides and such become pretty old pretty fast.
Again, this is six years ago, but as drpace says the food is expensive and I wasn't much impressed.
The Ritz Carlton next door by contrast is a much more tranquil place for adults, but they don't have much of a beach either.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 05:59 AM
Ruth

Katherine, I have visited the hotel several times, to accompany my husband as he took a ton of pictures, and to see the dolphins. It is beautiful and interesting, but really does seem like Disneyland to me, as Vic mentioned above. I can imagine children loving it, but it's not what I go to Hawaii for - too unreal!

There's a gorgeous beach right next door, the Anaehoomalu Bay, right out of a movie set, where the Outrigger Waikiloa hotel (previously Royal Waikoloan) sits! That hotel is being renovated now until October. Now there is what I consider to be the real Hawaii - with the Royal Fishponds, petroglyph fields, beautiful beach, palm trees, etc. The hotel rooms themselves were just okay before, but I imagine they will be much more than that when it re-opens, and the lobby and public areas were already beautiful, though certainly not the Ritz.

Of course, everyone has their own idea of paradise. I'd look at the Hilton website and the Pleasant Hawaiian (think they have a virtual tour of the Hilton Waikoloa) - and read a couple of top travel books for descriptions. You can't go to far wrong in Hawaii!!!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 02:37 PM
Sharon

Hi Katherine. My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa in November and I have to agree with the others that it is a bit Disneylandish. There are 3 main towers spread throughout the property and if you are in the far tower (can't remember the name) then the distance from the entrance/reception area/pool almost necessitates that you take the on-site transportation (!) of either a boat or the tram to your room. Luckily the transportation runs frequently although neither the tram nor the boats operate all night. The rooms are large and nicely furnished and we had nightly turn-down service where the maids restocked the towels in the evening. The in-room toiletries are from their spa and they are wonderful. The beach is non-existent except for a small man-made beach on the man-made lagoon but the pool is large and gorgeous. The property sports several good, but not outstanding, restaurants and one of the only Big Island nightclubs with dancing is at the Hilton. Another plus is that you are close to the shopping center where the excellent restaurant Roy's is located.

All the kids seemed to be having a blast so if you have children this is an excellent property, especially with the "Swim with the Dolphins" program. If you are looking for more of a taste of old Hawaii you should probably check out some of the other resorts.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 02:54 PM
katherine tse

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 05:47 PM
Scott

Hi Katherine!

My wife and I LOVE the Hilton Waikoloa Village. We spent the better part of our honeymoon there, and returned on our anniversary two years later. If you go, ask for a room in the Palace Tower. It is by far the most magnificent of the three, architecturally speaking, of course. The sunset view looking directly out from the lobby is unrivaled. All the rooms are lovely. The grounds are exquisite. The staff is the most friendly I've encountered, and in a genuine sense, too. Be sure to reserve a terrace seat at Donatoni's too. It is romantic; the food (Italian, as you may have guessed) is delightful; and dining under the stars, waterside, is marvelous! I can attest that, the Disneyesque comparison that some insist on making stops at the trams that whisk you between towers. The spa is terrific, and the lava flow drinks, consisting of a strawberry daiquiri poured over a glassful of pina colada, is paradise!! Our favorite memory of the HWV is also our first: being exhausted after enduring the LOOOOOOOONG flights from Washington, DC to HNL to Kona, we were greeted at the entrance by a gentleman in authentic Hawaiian dress, who said "Welcome to our little corner of paradise!" Email me if you need "elaboration"! Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 03:24 AM
annemarie

Actually we loved it too! The cost was less that the Ritz, the Princeville and the Kea Lani which are all properties that we have stayed at.(and the Hyatt in Kauai) Be sure to ask for the Bounceback rate which includes a buffet breakfast.Our rate ws lower than 200.00What are you being qulted? Be sure to call the hotel direct and the 1 800 number to compare!

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 12:29 PM
Melissa

Is this the same hotel as the Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 01:42 PM
annemarie

Actually not. The Hllton Hawaiian Village is on Oahu and the Waikoloa Village is on the Big Island. No comparison.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 03:54 PM
TC

We stayed there in June of this year. I totally agree - it is Disneyland on the Beach. Beautiful setting but very contrived. It IS a good drive to town and a 55 mph speed limit is STRICTLY enforced. The room diagrams and pictures on Hilton web site are very accurate. Be sure to ask for a room in the "Lagoon Tower" (the one that overlooks the dolphin pool). This is the only tower close enough to walk from the lobby, has all the shops, is located above the BIG swimming pool and has rooms with dolphin views. The hotel is noisy. The lobbies of each building are open air and they fill up with birds (thousands) at night. These birds make a horrid racket until about midnight and start up again at sun up. Take earplugs if you're a light sleeper. We paid a convention rate of $235 for a deluxe ocean view room. Plus $4 per day to park, $3 per day to use the safe in your room, etc. Its a pricey place. Personally its not my taste. I wouldn't go again. Not that it was bad, I just prefer something more intimate. If you have more specific questions about the hotel or island, feel free to email me directly.