Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Opera at Lincoln Center, NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/opera-at-lincoln-center-nyc-562939/)

bennnie Oct 6th, 2005 09:33 AM

Opera at Lincoln Center, NYC

We are contemplating going to the opera on an upcoming trip to NYC. I think I read somewhere on line that 1/2 price tickets may be available on the day of the performance. Does anyone know or be willing to speculate 1) how likely such tickets would be available for a Friday or Saturday night performance the first weekend of Nov and 2)how/where do you get such tickets - box office or TKTS or elsewhere?

We are opera virgins and thought we would give it a try but don't want to spend big bucks. If we buy tickets in advance, what are the cheapest tickets we could buy that would still be worthwhile? I've seen $42 tickets online but they appear to be nose bleeds. How bad would it be?

The performances we are contemplating are the Marriage of Figaro on Friday night or Aida on Saturday. Two different companies and two different theaters if I am not mistaken. Any recommendations on which would be more accessible to a bunch of amateurs?

Thank you in advance.

yk Oct 6th, 2005 10:24 AM

Going to the Met is always a wonderful experience. No, there are no 1/2 price tickets at the Met. The cheapest tickets will be far away, just bring binoculars (I've sat there many times).

Both performances (marriage of Figaro and Aida) are Met productions and held at the same venue. It's just different casts.

Here's a link on Met's website re: discount tickets (standing room only)
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope.../faq/#discount

yk Oct 6th, 2005 10:25 AM

BTW, both operas are great for people new to operas. The Aida set will blow you away (bring binoculars though).

bennnie Oct 6th, 2005 10:46 AM

YK - if we move up to the $76 tickets will it be worth it?

labfans Oct 6th, 2005 11:03 AM

Totally! The entire Met experience is worth it. The building, the audience and the opera itself combine for a fascinating experience and one you can't get anywhere else. It is magical! I agree about the binocs - no matter where you sit they bring the stage right into your lap. Go for it!

HowardR Oct 6th, 2005 11:06 AM

The $78 tickets will still be far from the stage, but a definite improvement over the $42 ones! And, still bring the binoculars!
Both operas are being performed at the Met. Where did you get the idea that it was "two different companies and two different theaters"?

yk Oct 6th, 2005 11:18 AM

It's difficult to say if moving from $42 to $76 is worth it for <i>you</i>. Like Howard said, the $76 seats are still far from the stage and you'd still need binoculars.

Bokhara Oct 6th, 2005 12:00 PM

If it were me, I'd buy the best I could afford AND take binnoculars. Your choices are great - you'll be hooked :)

donco Oct 6th, 2005 12:31 PM

Take cushions also. We had good seats but they were not comfy. Have heard amazing things about Aida there.

GoTravel Oct 6th, 2005 12:41 PM

Yes go! What an experience!

Are you possibly thinking of the day of practice performances by the philharmonic? They are quite inexpensive.

wantsomesun Oct 6th, 2005 01:24 PM

Standing room tickets are just that you stand for the 3 hours or so, but you are in the orchestra, well at the very back of the orchestra.

I'd suggest checking on ebay to see if there are any tickets available for the dates you will be here.

The Met does not discount tickets, Opera is VERY expensive to produce, and the hall is very large, but the views are great from everywhere in the Met Opera Hall.

Also right at your seat is a Kyron so you know what the singers are singing about, sort of a libreto right at your figertips, makes hearing the music and seeing the performance that much more enjoyable.

When you get to Lincoln Center, Avery Fisher Hall will be on your right, the City Opera House will be on your left and the Met will be right in front of you.

You might get a recording of the opera you are going to hear, so you get familiar with the music and pick up a Libreto so you know the story line.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

bennnie Oct 7th, 2005 06:17 AM

Thank you all for your comments. We were a group of 4 with 2 having more limited budgets than the other 2. But those 2 are not coming now so I think we will spend the money to get better seats. I really starting to get excited.

After we decide on what seats, we'll have to figure out what to wear and where to eat. It seems to me that there are not that many nice places to eat near Lincoln Center. I know there is a nice Chinese restaurant and a chain restaurant too (Fridays?). But neither is appealing to us. Any suggestions? We will be staying within walking distance (West End Ave).

donco Oct 7th, 2005 06:42 AM

We've only been to opera once and we went to Club 21 first (a splurge) so we wore suit/tie and dressy pants, then took taxi to the Met.

Is Amsterdam and 80th near where you are staying? We ate with friends at their favorite, Monaco's. We ate outside so don't know what it's like inside. Food was good but not great that night.

LuvMaine Oct 7th, 2005 06:52 AM

We went to the Met last spring and decided to do it up big. I mortgaged the house and got balcony seats (first row), had dinner at the restaurant there, and dressed to the nines. We'll probably never do it again, but it was great fun and I highly recommend it.

SharonG Oct 7th, 2005 07:33 AM

Go for it. I'm paying $75 just to see Neil Diamond in Nashville. I'd much rather go to the Met and hear Aida. You will have a ball.

p.s. I like the Chinese place across the street.

dan_woodlief Oct 7th, 2005 08:33 AM

I went in the first half of November a couple of years ago and saw La Boheme. It really is an amazing experience that you won't forget. I was able to get front row center dress circle for $100. I believe that price has increased, but the seat was fantastic. I didn't really need binoculars, but I did take them just to use a few times for a closer view. I was glad I spent the money for a night at the opera rather than seeing a second Broadway show, and I really like Broadway shows.

bennnie Oct 7th, 2005 09:01 AM

dan - thanks for the mention of the dress circle seats. I was wondering if they were good. I think they are about $120 now but that's okay. I believe they are the same price as rear orchestra which I never like.

rbrazill Oct 7th, 2005 09:12 AM

There are dozens (perhaps 100's) of restaurants within a decent walking distance of Lincoln Center. Go to New York Metro:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/
and you can research by neighborhood, price, cuisine, etc.
One of my favorites is Ouest, 2315 Broadway at 84th Street. At roughly 18 blocks from Lincoln Center it's a hike, but you may want to walk off some of that dinner, or you can take a cab.

HowardR Oct 7th, 2005 09:16 AM

As ong as you decided to spend more for tickets, get the best you can. It'll be worth it!
As for dining, I don't know where you got the idea that there aren't many/any good restaurants in the area. There are plenty. The ultimate dining experience might be for you to dine right at the Met. I forget the actual name of the restaurant, but it's elegant...and, naturally, not cheap!
If not there, what type of food(s) do you prefer and what price range?

bugswife1 Oct 7th, 2005 09:27 AM

Sadly, most people don't 'dress' for the opera these days. You will see many people in jeans. Just wear nice pants and a shirt and be comfortable. It is a long sit.
We don't usually go for a heavy meal prior to a performance, just makes us tired. We like Rosa Mexicano across the street from Lincoln Center. High end Mex/Spanish. The guacamole is great, as are the grilled shrimp, spanish steak, and swordfish. We also really like Josephina (across the street). They have a fabulous antipasto bar. The Chinese you are thinking of is Shun Lee, and next door is the more casual Shun Lee Cafe.