Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leave in 5 Weeks, what temp. should I pack for? Ny, Ma, Vt, Me, Nh etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 5 days in NYC and then train to Boston and drive for a week. We arrive Oct 1st. I'm assuming it will be cool............ should that read 'cold'?

Thanks to all the wonderful people on this site who helped me 'nut out' a rough route to take and lots of other wonderful advice. I've booked Inns and printed restaurants and great places for site seeing all thanks to you all.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM

We'll be past shorts weather by then, but daytime temps could be anywhere from 50 to 80. Bring a sweater, and a light jacket that can be worn over it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM

It won't be cold during the day. Wear layers. During the first week of Oct, it could be quite warm. You might want to pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, just in case. Evenings will be cool. Have fun in New England!
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Sounds perfect, very excited. We have one week left of winter her in Brisbane Qld (sunshine state) and today is going to be 30deg C. (86deg F) "Qld Beautiful one day, Perfect the next".

I will be bringing a jacket, but it sounds perfect for site seeing, thanks again.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
mma

You have picked a nice time to visit. We even love walking the beach because the water temp. is still nice to put your feet in! Right now we are having very very humid weather. Very heavy to sightsee in. You should have much more favorable temps. Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM

The beginning of October is unlikely to be cold - unless you're on top of a mountain in the middle of the night. NYC could be coolish or warmish or Indian summer (in the 80s) during the day. But it's likely you'll need a light jacket or sweater for evenings - especially if you're put on the water - and you'll want pants - not shorts and sandals.

I usually pull out my leather jacket late Oct or early Nov - but it's often not cold enough to wear it (just need a raincoat or blazer).
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM

Since the OP might be going to the mountains NH and VT, we need to note that the average high temperature for Montpelier VT for October 1 is 60 Degrees F (16C) and the average nighttime low, 40F. This is likely to feel quite crispy to a Brisbane resident.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:15 PM

You just never can tell about the weather that time of year. The weather could be any of three seasons (summer, fall, winter)...and typically changes dramatically every few days.

We live in New Hampshire. The first week or two of October could be pleasant, chilly, cold, or very warm with a spell of Indian summer. For northern destinations and the seacoast, you'd want to be prepared to dress warmly mornings and evenings regardless of the forecasted highs, which, that time of year, last only past noon through the afternoon.

Best bet is to check the 15 day forecast on accuweather.com, to finalize your packing, and pay attention to the lows as well as the highs, but still plan for warmer or cooler.

We drive through the White Mountains the first or second week of October almost every year. Some years, we've been glad to have our down parkas along, other years our lightweight cotton slacks and tees, most years something in between.

Of course, the ubiquitous layers are best. And, it could rain quite a bit, so one of those layers should be waterproof.

Those of us who live here have an assortment of outerwear to choose from based on the forecast as we head out for the day, or can just leave a coat or jacket in the car.

There's a huge difference between what's needed to get from your house to your car, your car to work, your car to the store...and what you'd want to wear so as to be comfortable while out and about for a few hours.

You can always do a bit of shopping, if necessary.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks djkbooks, you have me given much good advice over the last 12 months. I had pretty muched planned to pack for layers (as we will be on the West Coast for a month also)but am still deciding on what coat to bring. sounds like my light weight water proof one will be best.

We will be in Stowe for the Columbus Day long weekend, so I'm guessing cooler there than say on the coast?

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:59 AM

You could wake up to a frosty morning in Stowe. Overnight below freezing but daytime could still be sweater weather. Light weight water proof coat sounds good. Just in case, make sure rental car has an ice scraper.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Sounds lovely, did I mention I'm excited?