One to two week summer camp for 14 year old daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a good forum for this question or can you all help me? Hubby and I are celebrating 25th wedding anniversary this summer and daughter would love to go to a camp while we take a celebratory trip. She has been to camps here in Northern California but we may be open to something in another state. We've been on the aca.org website and it is a great resource but would love some more personal recommendations. She loves animals, arts and crafts, theater, water sports. She thinks Maine sounds like fun. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM

My son did a 14 day Outward Bound trip (hiking, rafting, climbing in Colorado) when he was 14. Outward Bound has trips all over the country. There are some sailing trips on the eastcoast. Google Outward Bound to find their website.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maine is a long way to go for a week, especially with everyone seeming to get the flu on cross-country plane rides these days.

New England Music Camp is great if she plays an instrument, but it might be a full-summer program, I'm not sure.

Here is a listing of Maine Camps, Matoaka has a good reputation but not sure if they do 1 or 2 wk stays
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 02:09 PM
mei

Check the YMCA website. They have camps all over and they also run some great travel adventures for kids your daughter's age. I know a lot of kids who attend YMCA'a Taqua in the Chesapeake, my daughter went to YMCA Frost Valley in the Catskills for 5 years in a row(loved it) and I've heard a lot of good things about the YMCA of the Rockies. I don't know what your budget is like, but YMCA's are a little more reasonable also.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
lvk

She doesn't have to leave the state . Here are some Southern Cal. camps that my kids' friends have enjoyed.

Lazy J Ranch Camp
Catalina Island Camp
Astro Camp in Idyllwild
Pali Adventures camp www.paliadventures.com

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Maine Teen Camp (goofy name, excellent camp) I would highly recommend. I worked there as a counselor years ago and plan to send my 6 and 3 year old when they're of age. It's the best in Maine-if your daughter's still interested in Maine-by far. Just google Maine Teen Camp and their site will come up.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Here is a thread on collegeconfidential.com about summer camps that you might find helpful.It is written by parents.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...t=summer+camps