Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One Ocean Resort - Atlantic Beach, FL (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-ocean-resort-atlantic-beach-fl-788669/)

ebiddix Jun 7th, 2009 01:07 PM

One Ocean Resort - Atlantic Beach, FL

I just booked a quick weekend getaway for my husband and I to One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach over our anniversary (which will also be serving as a short babymoon). We plan to spend most of the day relaxing, not a lot of sightseeing (July, 7 months pregnant means not a lot of walking around!).

Any restaurant recommendations - especially for our anniversary dinner?

Any sightseeing that we should put on a short list, in case we decide to leave the hotel during the day?

Thanks in advance!

ebiddix

Scarlett Jun 7th, 2009 04:14 PM

Oh there are plenty of things to do and places to go ! Lots of shopping too :)
Atlantic Beach is part of Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach .. you are a short drive from downtown Jacksonville and not far at all, 5 minutes? drive from Ponte Vedra and maybe less than half an hour from St Augustine.
Ponte Vedra has a great restaurant in the Sawgrass resort area .. you can't miss it .. Aqua Grill .. wonderful food..
In St Augustine you can wander the old streets and back ways and look in the shops .. some are really cheesy tourist traps but there are some interesting ones mixed in with the crappy ones. You can get a horse drawn carriage ride through St Aug..
There is a great diner in Jacksonville Beach called the Sun Dog Diner .. right by the beach, where the Sea Turtle Inn is located.
My times might be off some, I have not lived there in a few years .. it might take longer now from one to the other but they are all very close .. Have fun, Congratulations :)

ebiddix Jun 8th, 2009 07:09 AM

Thank you - very helpful!

Anyone else? I don't think we're going to wander far from the hotel - probably stay within a 15 minute distance.

mschau Jun 8th, 2009 09:02 AM

There are plenty of places to go in Atlantic Beach. Ragtime is within walking distance from One Ocean and is great if you like red beans and rice! Also in downtown Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach is Mezzaluna, and Sun Dog Diner, both which are great. Ponte Vedra also has some great spots- Aqua Grill was mentioned. A good place in Jacksonville Beach, fun, casual and good tacos is TacoLu. They have a cute little old VW bus in front. Very beachy.

For the anniversary dinner I would reccommend Mezzaluna or Aqua Grill. Great places.

One Ocean has a great little bar that runs along the ocean. It's very trendy at night. Also, if you want to head to a funky beach bar just to check it out, there is Lemon Bar which is within walking distance also from One Ocean.

Hope that helps! Enjoy One Ocean! It's beautiful!

BUpright Jun 8th, 2009 10:20 AM

For transparency sake, I used to handle public relations for One Ocean. But I wholeheartedly agree with the other folks that it is a beautiful, luxury property.

For dining, the hotel has an oceanfront fine dining restaurant, Azurea. For your anniversary dinner, it's the only place to go (and the only public oceanfront dining in the area). Hint - tell them it's your anniversary and you'll get a surprise or two. Lots of other casual dining spots are within a block of the hotel: Sun Dog, Ragtime, Mezza Luna, Al's Pizza - just to name a few. You won't need your car - can walk to Starbucks, the ice cream shop, Shelby's Coffee Shop, the Book Mark (great local bookstore) and some unique art galleries.

And for Scarlett - who replied earlier, One Ocean sits on the site formerly known as the Sea Turtle. That's been gone a little while now.

Enjoy your time at One Ocean!

Jenn_Aringdale Jun 10th, 2009 10:51 AM

First I would like to say congratulations on an anniversary and a baby! I am positive both are excellent mile markers in your life.

Second, On behalf of One Ocean Resort Hotel and Spa I would love to have you dine at our restaurant because I am sure it will exceed your expectations (and I'm not just saying that because I work here :)) My personal favorite is the Azurea Seafood Cobb Salad (Cornmeal Crusted Calamari, Pan Seared Diver Scallops and Shrimp = a little piece of heaven)! But you should check out the menu on our website as well www.oneoceanresort.com

We would love to offer you free dessert as incentive to dine with us. Please don't hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.