One night stand in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Chicago (Ohare) around 2 p.m. and flying out the next morning. Staying near the airport. Looking for suggestions for limited time we have, plus restaurant suggestions.
Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:19 PM

NotMe, which day of the week are you coming into Chicago? This will assist us in making suggestions.

Also, please advise price range and cuisine you prefer.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Since you have such a limited time, I would say check out Millenium Park...it will be a good choice, especially in the summer..lots of activity going on.
You can have a nice dinner at the park, the restaurant Park Grill is primo location & the food is good & not overly expensive. Or, if in the mood for Chicago pizza...one of the deep dish kind would do...Pizzeria Uno, Due or Gino's...are recommended. A walk to the lakefront at sundown would be nice...then you can view the beautiful skyline and watch the transformation from day to night...have fun!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I would probably limit myself to the suburbs with that brief amount of time. Unless of course, you have a desire to experience rush hour commuters on the metra or sit in a cab for too long.

Where near the airport are you staying and what are you interested in? What type of restaurant? Can I assume that you will be cabbing it?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

We are flying in on a Saturday and leaving for Bermuda the next morning. Will be staying at the Holiday Inn (Ohare), supposed to be convenient to the airport. How is Harry Carey's place? Yes, we will be cabbing it and would prefer to avoid really long cab rides. We like any kind of food. Although we're not looking for super expensive, price is really not a concern as long as the food and service is good.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Depends on what you like....not knowing anything I would head over to the Art Institute (One of my favorite museums) or walk along the lake around Navy Pier.

If you are a big spa person, you could spend a few hours at the Peninsula spa, one of the best. They have a very nice indoor lap pool with gigantic, tall windows.....cool to do your laps surrounded by skyscrapers! We then enjoyed more city and lake views in our spa robes while we dined on scrumptious spa cuisine on an outdoor deck, just off the lap pool. Unusual, but pleasant spa experience.

http://chicago.peninsula.com/pch/leisure.html

I would eat dinner at North Pond restaurant in Lincoln Park. The most awesome atmosphere, views, food & wine list!

http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/

Not sure when you're going, but today sunset is at 8:25. If you go, I would time your reservation for about an hour or so before sunset. The directions that the restaurant gices you has the cab drop you off at a certain spot not too far away. Then its ust a short, but scenic walk through the park and around the pond to the restauratnt, which formerly was a warming house for ice skaters in the winter. If you reserve a window seat (they're actually atrium doors) you get the best of all worlds: the very comfortable and stylish dining room as well as feeling "Outdoors" with views over the pond and a spectacular city skyline with the park as foreground.

Another great restaurant was the Shanghai Terrace. Great food & romantic ambiance. We ate in the dining room, but overlooking their lovely terrace.

http://chicago.peninsula.com/pch/dining_01.html
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Stick with Rosemont, eat at Harry Careys..very nice place. Be happy.

Don't waste the time, money and energy to go downtown.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM
JJ5

Totally agree with placeU2- enjoy where you are in your time frame.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM

I agree with placeu2 and JJ5. But I wish I had suggestions for you for something other than restaurants. It seems like too short a time to be worth the hassle of going downtown. But it's kind of a long time to do nothing but eat. I'm not familiar enough with the area to make other suggestions.

Anyone else out there got anything?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Take your date and look into the Allstate Arena and the Rosemont Theater in the event something is going on there. Both are extremely close by.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM

NotMe, with all due respect to other posters, I think you SHOULD come to Chicago, especially if you have never been here before.

To miss one of the greatest cities of the world (if you had the chance to visit it) and stay out at an airport hotel would be a dreadful shame, even if it means a little travel time to get here/back. Of course, that's up to you. Me...I'd sleep on the way to Bermuda.

I see that the Holiday Inn (Rosemont) has a complementary train shuttle to the Blue Line stop, about a mile away. (Confirm that with them, though, to make certain the website is up-to-date and also see how late it would run for you.) Take the Blue Line into the city (cost $1.75/pp/ea way, 40-45 minute trip). Get off at the Washington/Dearborn stop.

Walk east 3 blocks - you will be at Millennium Park on S. Michigan Avenue.

Let's say you get into Chicago at 4:00-4:30 pm. You have plenty of time to catch a cab, trolley or bus and go north up to the top of the Magnificient Mile. Go up to the Signature Lounge for a drink or two, enjoying the spectacular view. Walk north from the JHB 2 blocks and take a short stroll along the lake. Then pick up a cab or bus and go back to Millennium Park.

Depending on when you are here, you could enjoy a free Grant Park Symphony concert--they usually start at 6:30 or 7:30 pm, but there is at least one with a later start time. You could eat at Park Grill at Millennium Park or have a picnic (plenty of places you could pick something up along the way--Corner Bakery, Park Grill, etc.)

You don't have to stay for the entire concert, of course, but they don't last too long. If you were here until 9:00-9:30 pm, you'd be back at your hotel 10-11 pm at the latest.

I guess it just depends on your leanings. Me: I'd be here. I hope your leanings are the same!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM

You're amazing, exiledprincess! I have to say your plan sounds much more interesting than just dinner and the hotel. And it sounds very do-able! (doable?, neither looks right!)
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Exiled Princess has the right idea. Rosemont(O'Hare) has little besides hotels, traffic and airplane noise. Downtown is beautiful and will give you a whole different perspective on Chicago.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Whoa now....

You downtown fans seem to be assuming:

Flight will be on time along with luggage.
Airport Hotel will have instant check in.
There are no commute issues...we still don't know the day that NotMe arrives in our fair city.
Chicago is not the destination, just a stopping over point.

Make your own decision but I'd be looking forward to my real objective.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM
JJ5

I agree with placeu2. Sounds great, but you will be dropping by the time you get to Bermuda.

The reason I myself stay downtown to see downtown is that the commute is hard. And you will also be walking non-stop between two flights.

Take your Airborne and your vitamins, NotMe. I hope you are in your 20's and have a lot of excess energy and resilience. If you are & do, go for it- but Chicago is a trip in itself.

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I would probably also do something like exciledprincess suggested, but NotMe will certainly make up his or her own mind on how much energy they want to expend.

That said, there's no "assumption" that the flight and check-in will go flawlessly. If the flight is delayed by much or check-in takes too long, NotMe can just choose to stay near the hotel instead. There aren't any tickets to buy in advance or anything. The flight might even be early.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Oh, ye of little faith!

NotMe indicated they would be flying into O'Hare on Saturday afternoon with ETA of 2 pm. I have them into Chicago at 4:30 pm at the latest = 2.5 hours to get here (and the Blue Line ride is only 45 minutes). Unless we have many unhappy coincidences, I'm sure the time frame can be met since the HI O'Hare ALSO has a complementary shuttle service to/from the airport (by their website).

By the way, the walking time in Chicago is very limited - only the 3 blocks going over to Millennium Park, the time spent along the shoreline, whatever they do back at Millennium Park and then 3 blocks back to the Washington/Dearborn stop. Couldn't be over a 1.5 mile for the entire stay here.

NotMe, the final call is yours...but I say: do yourself a favor and come visit us.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

exiledprincess

I like your plan. It was exactly what we were looking for. Assuming flight is on time, we'll at least get a chance to see a little of your fair city.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Please report back and let us know how it went!