Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One night in Miami, arriving late...where should we stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-night-in-miami-arriving-late-where-should-we-stay-373347/)

tcreath Jun 5th, 2008 12:48 PM

One night in Miami, arriving late...where should we stay?

My husband and I have an overnight layover in Miami on our way to Costa Rica over Labor Day weekend. We arrive at 9:00 pm on the 29th and depart the next morning at 10:00 am. Because of this I'm not looking for anything fancy. However, I am hoping for either a hotel that has a lounge or that has restaurants nearby. I know we arrive kind of late but its the first night of vacation so I doubt we will want to go to bed right away. We will have already eaten dinner, but it would be nice to get a drink and relax before going to bed. I haven't been to Miami in many years.

Right now I'm looking at the airport hotels because they have shuttles to/from the airport. There are a few Ramadas and La Quinta Inn's, a Courtyard by Marriott...the usual suspects. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Tracy

doug_stallings Jun 5th, 2008 01:37 PM

The Standard is cheap enough that it might be worth a look even though it's farther from the airport and doesn't have a shuttle. And it puts you in an interesting and trendy hotel instead of a dreary airport hotel.

rncheryl Jun 5th, 2008 01:55 PM

Woo, Don't know the airport hotels, but with 12 hours total, would probably choose an airport hotel with a shuttle connection.

tcreath Jun 6th, 2008 04:29 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Doug, I will definitely research the hotel you suggested! I would prefer a shuttle though, if possible, to save some money. We considered renting a car but as we don't get in until 9:00 it just doesn't seem to be worth the extra hassle.

Tracy

kelliebellie Jun 6th, 2008 04:42 AM

We stayed at the Hilton Miami Airport and it was very nice. We got a great rate on the internet. They have a really great breakfast buffet. It was very close to the airport.

Gretchen Jun 6th, 2008 04:51 AM

I'd choose an airport hotel and bid on PL for it.

fontmn Jun 6th, 2008 09:33 AM

Just an idea - Miami Beach is no more than 8 miles from the airport. An easy drive for taxis or possible free shuttles from the hotels. It will have an active nightlife, without the need for a car.
On the beach, assuming you stay on Collins, simply take a bus from your hotel to Lincoln Road (which is 17th Street unless your hotel is within walking distance). There are wonderful cafes, nightclubs, shops etc.
It may sound like a lot, depending on how active you are. But, it's definately doable.
Otherwise, I would also select the Hilton near the airport and get a good night's rest for your trip to Costa Rica.

Orlando_Vic Jun 6th, 2008 12:13 PM

I was in your situation last year only our time of arrival in Miami was close to midnight. The Holiday Inn <http://tinyurl.com/yqx8gu> in Miami Springs should meet all your needs. It is very close to the airport, they have a shuttle and a restaurant.

beckytx Jun 6th, 2008 12:29 PM

I remember paying $30-35 for taxis from the airport to South Beach, so to me that is a lot just to spend a few hours there. But it would be fun!

tcreath Jun 8th, 2008 07:02 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice! After giving it some thought, we decided to try our luck at Priceline. This is our first experience with Priceline but we are pleased with the results. We got the Holiday Inn at the airport for $55. There seems to be a lounge and a free airport shuttle so hopefully it should work out nicely. I would love to go to South Beach but given our time frame it just doesn't seem worth it for such a short amount of time.

Thanks again!
Tracy

Orlando_Vic Jun 9th, 2008 06:58 PM

Congratulations. You got a good deal. I also suggest that you join Holiday Inn's Priority Club. That particular location gives some additional perks (in addition to airline miles). We got an upgraded room and some drink coupons (I think) but couldn't use them because we got in too late. Anyway, it's something for nothing.

Ackislander Jun 10th, 2008 03:27 AM

If you had not specifically wanted a place with a lounge, I would have recommended strongly against this location -- mostly because of the lounge! It is very popular and packed on weekends, making it hard to find a place to park -- again not a consideration for you.

This is a hotel mostly used as you are planning to use it, a stopover at the beginning or end of a cruise or flight. We had a horrible experience there, but your mileage may well vary. You are paying about what the room is worth. Good luck!

The breakfast buffet is excellent, and you get to look down on planes landing nearby.

tcreath Jun 10th, 2008 04:44 AM

Ackislander, I must say I am a little nervous about this hotel but as it's already paid for and it's only for one night I'm going to hope for the best. Normally we are not the type to sit in a lounge, and rarely use restaurants or lounges in any hotels. I was just hoping for a little something to occupy what little time we have in Miami since we are arriving late but not late enough that we'll be ready to get into bed. I hope its not too roudy because my husband and I are definitely not the roudy, lets-get-drunk type!

Tracy

Ackislander Jun 10th, 2008 08:12 AM

Wll, you can put up with almost anything overnight, and you may find when you are there that there is not the overcrowding we found.