One night hotel room Clearwater/Tampa area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting relatives in Seminole, FL for one day in early November. We will have to drive to Orlando Airport the next day (5pm flight) so we don't want to stay South (St. Pete). Any nice hotels, on the water for a decent price. I keep finding "motel" type places on the beach. Any time-share condos I might get last minute? The usual websites don't seem to be helping much. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Seminole is about as close to St. Petersburg as you can get. I'm not too sure what you're asking. The closest beach is Indian Rocks which is mostly condos. I don't have any recommendations for you in Clearwater myself but if anyone else has one, they will need to know what you consider "a decent price" before they can give you a decent recommendation. So ante up.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

The Marriott Suites 219+ and the Hilton $200+ seem to be overpriced for what you get and there are a bunch in the $79+ that seem to be dumps. Any $129+
Maybe I'm just getting spoiled with priceline....
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Rocky, do a google search for "hotel rocky point courtney campbell" and you will find a tiny island waterfront area (called rocky point - how appropriate!) just west of Tampa airport, which has several new nice hotels. There is a small cluster of restaurants also, and a couple of office buildings. Recently drove through this area, and there is a Days Inn, a Hampton, a Radisson etc. They are maybe 5 minutes from 275 North, which puts you right onto Route 4 West, on your way to Orlando (allow 2 1/2 hours midday).

Here is a map of the location, to show you what I'm referring to:

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hote...esults.jhtml.1

I am assuming you meant Marriott and Hyatts in Tampa? So you will be somewhat on your way when you awaken?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM

So are you staying over night on the beach and then going to visit the relatives and leave from their house, or are you leaving for the airport from your hotel. That makes a lot of difference. Slogging across the city on regular streets and getting across to the other side of Tampa in the middle of the day can take a complete hour. Then another hour to hour and a half to the Orlando Airport. One of the fastest ways through Pinellas County is on I-275 north from St. Pete Beach, so staying there is not a bad deal if you are leaving from the beach. You go across on the Pinellas Bayway and hop on 275. The sand is sparkling white, fine and cool on St. Pete Beach. Our adult relatives like to stay on Madeira Beach at the Shorline Motel because no one under 18 is allowed to stay there and it is quiet and directly on Madeira Beach. It would take just a few minutes to get up to Seminole. If you just want someplace close to the relatives that is on the beach, then check out Madeira Beach or go north to Indian Rocks Beach. The sand isn't white and fluffy on Indian Rocks and Indian Shores, but OK and the water is all the same of course. Make sure the hotel/condo is actually ON the beach, if it is across the street on Gulf Blve, you won't see the water due to the obstruction of the tall buildings on the beach. Unfortunately more and more of the hotels are being torn down for $$$ condos. I searched for hotels, motels and rentals on Redington Shores, Redington Beach and Madeira Beach and found some places. Actually, a lot of the little Ma and Pa motels directly on the beach are very nice. Choose a couple and ask your relatives to go by and check them out. That is what we do. Unfortunately, most of the big spacious condo rentals require a week rental. But, once in a while if they are stuck with a night or two with no rental, they will rent to you for a shorter time if they feel generous! Maybe someone who lived on the beach will be able to recommend a specific place.The Hilton on Redington Beach is OK, the Thunderbird and the Bilmar on Treasure Island are nice (not luxurious, but a land mark and usually clean, etc.) and Belleair Beach, just north of Seminole has several condo rentals and nice hotels. It is a high rent area so I am imagine they would be nice. The hotels on the Courtney Campbell Causeway (hwy 60 from) at Rocky Point are good and very close to the Tampa Airport, and are on Tampa Bay, but not on the Gulf of Mexico. They have wonderful water views non the less and would be a good place to stay when first coming into or leaving Pinellas County, but a good 45 minutes drive to Seminole.