Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One night hotel in Portland, Oregon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-night-hotel-in-portland-oregon-779346/)

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 04:47 AM

One night hotel in Portland, Oregon?

Driving alone from Seattle to Ashland in June and would like to spend my Sunday night IN Portland -- eat at a nice restaurant and MUST have breakfast of salmon hash at Mothers before departing on Monday.

I was going to bid Priceline, but typically the downtown hotels still get around $50 a night when lucky. While that's not bad, most of them seem to charge around $30 for parking (including the taxes) and $10 to $12 for internet, which I'll probably want. So with the Priceline fee I'm still looking at around $100. I'm not that picky but DO want to be downtown. Are there any hotels/motels with free parking -- free internet?

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 05:50 AM

I believe that Inn At Northrup Station up in the NW 12/13rd area has free parking. I have no idea about free internet. It is not a bad walk to Mother's, but there is always the streetcar to bring you closer to Mother's in the morning if you like.

I have received emails lately with Kimpton specials, so you might check that as well. The Monaco is really nice, and many time you can book either with POVA or call the hotel directly yourself, and they will have a package that includes parking. Since you are coming in June, we tend to still get rain, and the Monaco has underground valet, so that could be another consideration for you. Also, the Monaco is a short walk to Mother's.

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 05:51 AM

Too early to post, lol...that should read NW 21/23rd area, sorry:)

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 06:17 AM

I'm confused (my standard condition). Is the Monaco what used to be 5th Avenue Suites? Yes, I liked their parking arrangement with the elevator straight up.

Will also check out Inn at Northrup. Most of the chains I was checking where free internet and parking are the norm seem to be across the river or near the convention center, not that convenient.

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 06:25 AM

OK, the cheapest I found at Inn at Northrup was $190 a night with tax. Their parking says "on a first come, first served basis". Don't think I'll go with that.

Hotel Monaco shows some discounted rates of $111 ($125 with tax) and free internet, but packages with parking ($28 I saw on a Priceline review) are only more than one night it seems.

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 06:43 AM

Yes, the Monaco is the old 5th Avenue Suites. Too bad about the rates. You might call and ask though as I have always gotten better rates by calling directly. I am not a fan of the convention center area. What about the Silver Cloud Inn? Not on par with the Monaco or anything, but a relative that was up visiting last fall stayed there for a shopping trip and she loved it. She is pretty picky too.

I know you said you want to be right downtown, but think about the Kennedy School. It is about a 5-10 minute drive to the heart of downtown and is a lot of fun. It is a McMenamin property, has free parking (no idea about internet, but I am sure the website has those details), and is very comfortable. I stayed there once when we had a reunion and I didn't want to drive. I love the McMenamin properties and they are unique to OR and WA. Very good rates too!

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 06:45 AM

I did a quick look and there is free wifi at the Kennedy School.

sunbum1944 Apr 16th, 2009 07:31 AM

I have stayed at the Inn at Northrup Station and have never paid a price like that

I just checked on the Portland Oregon Visitors website (POVA)
and the lowest I see for the date I plugged in is $119 - including parking and I have never had a problem finding a place to park when I stayed there

Check the POVA website because their deals usually include parking, breakfast and a variety of coupons for restaurants

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 07:34 AM

Sunbum--I haven't stayed there, but from reading posts of others that have (like you) it does seem high. I wonder if Patricks date happens to fall during the Rose Festival?

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 07:56 AM

June 14 (Sunday night)

I guess maybe I should rephrase my original question. It looks like I can get a Priceline downtown 4 star for around $100 WITH the parking and internet. So I'm not really looking to book the same price or more for a lesser property without as good a location. I thought if there were a LaQuinta or a Red Lion or something close for something like $89, that would be fine, but it's looking like there isn't. I was trying to picture a downtown chain type "motor inn", but I'm not coming up with one. I'm back to thinking the one night gamble with Priceline 4 star is the best bet if I get a decent rate -- even adding parking and internet seems to be better than the others.

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 08:02 AM

I should also mention that if I want to drive into downtown in the evening and in the morning, then I'd be fine staying at one of the cheaper chains right along I-5 -- which would be OK too. No real point to me in just spending the night in a place out somewhere (even if nicer).

beachbum Apr 16th, 2009 08:14 AM

From what I've read, 4 star Priceline bidders often end up in the Benson, Portland's Waldorf Astoria wannabe. Decent place, and an easy walk to Mother's. I hope that salmon hash is as good as you remember it.

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 08:39 AM

Yes, I've noticed that the Benson is the most often won place on Priceline and usually around $50 -- so would still be under $100 with parking and internet. But I'd probably bid and win somewhere not nearly so convenient (like the Riverplace which I really don't care that much for -- particularly the location).

You know they say "you can't go home again" -- but Mother's salmon hash keeps calling to me -- had it two days in a row my last trip to Portland, while Lee's breakfast there was Marionberry cobbler with ice cream!

Dayenu Apr 16th, 2009 09:19 AM

One-night stand is giving you trouble, eh? ;)

kimamom Apr 16th, 2009 10:14 AM

The Benson is very nice if can get that one on Priceline. We stayed there last summer and walked to Bijou Cafe for breakfast, they have a really great Oyster Hash there. If you haven't been to Andina, check it our for dinner, a Peruvian place with a fun ambiance. Enjoy your travels! ***kim*** ((#))

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 10:16 AM

Dayenu, don't you know those one night stands ALWAYS lead to troubles! :D

sunbum1944 Apr 16th, 2009 12:36 PM

I think there is a "Days Inn" downtown area but have never stayed there

heres a link to POVA just in case you want to check it out

http://www.travelportland.com/visitors/

NeoPatrick Apr 16th, 2009 12:45 PM

I believe that Days Inn is what I'm finding is now closed and being transformed into yet another 'trendy boutique' hotel called the Modera.

sunbum1944 Apr 16th, 2009 07:21 PM

Ah- I think you are right about the Modera

I also stay at the Crowne Plaza fairly often- its on he other side of the river though-walking distance to the Rose Garden which is why we stay there ( for concerts)- but easy drive downtown .There is a restaurant on site -

Can't recommend a restaurant for dinner
in that area but we go to the Cadillac Cafe for breakfast- however, there is usually a line outside waiting for a table.

nanabee Apr 16th, 2009 10:13 PM

For dinner I recommend Paley's Place @ 1204 NW 21st Ave.