Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One more question please...New England States or Grand Canyon for my husbands surprise 40th birthday?

Search

One more question please...New England States or Grand Canyon for my husbands surprise 40th birthday?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:26 AM
onemoreplease

I've been posting a few questions, and I thank all of you who have answered. I have changed my mind from Walt Disney World (cause the men have said I am lame for surprising my husband with Mickey Mouse).

So It is Grand Canyon or New England States October 5-12.

Thanks soooo very much!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:38 AM
NewEngland

The New England states are really pretty during that time. Nice crisp air, pretty walks, lots of history.

Have fun.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:42 AM
utahtea

My DH and I were at the Grand Canyon last year during the first week of October during our Anniversary trip. We had fantastic weather.

What does your husband like to do? Has he ever mentioned the Grand Canyon or New England states as a place he would like to go?

I've never been to the New England states but if your husband likes the wide open spaces and hiking then the Grand Canyon is the place to go.

Utahtea

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:34 PM
RB

Another vote for the Grand Canyon. I'd go to the North Rim, which closes October 14, and stay at the lodge. It's a wonderful time of year there, and the view from the lodge's "deck" is amazing.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:18 PM
lili

Does your husband like to hike, camp and ride mules? If so, the Grand Canyon is the way to go.

Has your husband been to the Basketball Hall of Fame? Would he enjoy eating lobster and mussels? If so, New England is the way to go.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:20 PM
lou

If you go to the Grand Canyon, you must stay at the best room at the El Tovar for at least one night! Order room service all day long and enjoy the view!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:29 PM
cd

I think you have to make reservations WAY ahead of time for the mule rides into the Canyon. The Canyon has great scenery, but is that what your husband would like? We went to the Grand Canyon, walked around for awhile, walked to the rim and took pictures and since we weren't taking the mule rides or rafting the river, left. It really at that point held nothing for us.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Obvious

cd -

What about, um, HIKING? Some people do actually go INTO the canyon quite a ways without having to have a mule take them.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Unbelieveable

The average visit to the Grand Canyon, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, is UNDER an hour. The average American adult watches 20.5 hours of television a week. Which stat is more depressing? I think it's a toss up.

Life is short. Play hard. Or watch TV.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:51 AM
good

Unbelieveable...thats a good one.