Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One more needlepoint question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-more-needlepoint-question-236180/)

kam Jul 2nd, 2002 10:16 AM

One more needlepoint question

Please help. We have a nice early morning flight from the West Coast to Chicago and I would love to bring my needlepoint to do on the plane. Still don't know if I'm allowed to bring tapestry needles. I have a cutting device that is not pointed so that's not the problem---it's the needles which are pretty blunt but could still be considered a pointed object. Anyone flown recently with needlepoint? BTW--it's a UAL flight. Thanks.

amy Jul 2nd, 2002 10:38 AM

I went to San Francisco with cross stitch in my carry on-no scissors but two 24 gauge needles, and a clover recessed thread cutter. No one checked my stitching bag. I did take scissors but checked them in my baggage

XXXXX Jul 2nd, 2002 10:47 AM

Call the airline that you are flying on and get the advice from them.

Statia Jul 2nd, 2002 10:52 AM

In regards to what I have and have not had taken from my carry on baggage recently, my honest opinion is that the rules vary airline to airline, airport to airport, and person to person.<BR><BR>For instance, I have traveled thru the same airport numerous times since 9/11 with safety pins in my sewing kit and only last week had them removed. Yet, no one gave my travel sized cork screw (which I accidentally left in my bag) a second glance.<BR><BR>I think that no matter what the airline tells you, in as much as they have their own regulations to follow, it will ultimately depend on WHO you deal with at the various security check points on your journey.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>

kam Jul 2nd, 2002 12:36 PM

Called UAL twice today. Got two different responses. One said no way. The other said no knitting needles and others only with a MD's prescription. Couldn't make her understand that they were sewing needles but not sharp and I wanted to use them on the plane. I give up. Do these people think? I'm still undecided about what to do. Any advice?

Statia Jul 2nd, 2002 12:42 PM

Kam:<BR><BR>All I can tell you is try to bring them on ONLY if you don't mind losing them. You have about a 50/50 chance of getting by with it, as you have seen from your phone calls.<BR><BR>However, IF they do confiscate them at security, you won't ever see them again. I had a friend who had two very expensive cigar/cigarette lighters (bought as gifts) confiscated never to be seen again.<BR><BR>Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.<BR><BR>

Sara Jul 2nd, 2002 12:58 PM

I flew with cross stitch needles and a thread cutter - no scissors. My recommendation is to give it a try but don't be distressed if they are taken away. If you plan to do any on your trip be sure to pack some in your checked luggage.

kam Jul 2nd, 2002 01:14 PM

I certainly wouldn't care if they confiscated the needles themselves, but would they take my $100+ canvas and expensive threads as well? I think I'll just pack the needles separately stuck in a piece of fabric so they can have them if they want them.

Statia Jul 2nd, 2002 01:25 PM

No, the canvas won't be considered "dangerous." The needles would be the only thing they would take.<BR><BR>Your best bet would probably be to take a set in your carry on, and pack a set in your checked luggage to use on the trip, as well.<BR><BR>

kam Jul 2nd, 2002 01:56 PM

Thanks, Statia, I think that's a good plan! If they want a couple 24 gauge tapestry needles, they are welcome to add them to the collection. BTW, where do you suppose all the confiscated stuff goes? Anyone know? I'm curious about those expensive cigarette lighters. A thousand years ago, we took the train back from Minnesota to Chicago. It was so behind schedule that we decided to get off in Minneapolis and fly NWA home instead. My then 6 year old son had a plastic squirt gun in his backpack (since we thought we would make the whole trip via train). NWA personnel removed it, put it in a manilla envelope and mailed it to our home in Chicago. We told them, don't worry, just chuck it, but they insisted that they would mail it back to him. I'm sure the postage was well over what the five and dime toy was worth. I guess airline service like that is lost and gone forever! I also remember reading in the Trib that the sausages etc. that are confiscated at the customs area at O'Hare go home with the customs workers and are enjoyed by them and their families--one of the "perks" of the job!

Statia Jul 2nd, 2002 02:23 PM

I'm sure that it depends on how much "worth" there is to the item being confiscated as to whether or not it actually ends up in the trash (which is where I see most items go). I'm sure that a lot of the more desirable items go home with the security employees.<BR><BR>I agree, though...mailing back your child's toy gun...wow, times aren't what they used to be.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip, Kam.<BR>

kam Jul 2nd, 2002 03:22 PM

Thanks, Statia. I've packed four needles in my bag and put one in my carryon stuck through a piece of felt so I can find it and offer it up if needs be. If they confiscate it, I hope it will go to a good home! :~) I'll let you know what happens. Kam