Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One more day on Maui or North/East shore of Oahu? Pearl Harbor Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-more-day-on-maui-or-north-east-shore-of-oahu-pearl-harbor-question-170474/)

hl Mar 10th, 2002 02:28 PM

One more day on Maui or North/East shore of Oahu? Pearl Harbor Question

Hi. We are going to Hawaii in September for our honeymoon. We will be staying on Maui for 6 full days (not including travel days) and then be flying back to Oahu for 1 or 2 full days (not including travel days) before coming back home. Any suggestions as to whether it would be better to stay on Maui for one more full day and forego renting a car and driving around the Northern and Eastern coast of Oahu? Would we be better off staying put for another full day on Maui or is the drive around Oahu not to be missed or perhaps saved for another trip? Would also like to visit Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay (am thinking Pearl Harbor in the am and Hanauma Bay for the rest of the afternoon.) Am also interested in visiting Chinatown and possibly the early am fish market. Any feedback on either of these? Finally, everyone suggests going to Pearl Harbor early in the a.m. Is the wait horrible if you don't go until mid-day/early afternoon? What is the latest you can arrive and still get in on a tour and have time to see everything? Any input would be greatly appreciate. Thanks so much for your help!

Beenthere Mar 10th, 2002 02:57 PM

I only visited Oahu, and did go to see Pearl Harbor. I definately would make time to do this! I also suggest going early as possible. When we went the boats broke down after we went out to the memorial & we were out there over 1 1/2 hours. I think the normal time is 15 minutes. The line was huge when we finally made it back in & the rest of the tours out were cancelled for the day. (Run by the Navy - go figure!) I don't think this was normal, but I wouldn't want to wait in the line I saw!! We drove around the island and it took us most of the day. We snorkeled in Hanauma Bay, it was ok, but not the prettiest part of the ocean. If you are interested in surfing you might see if you can find out what time of year the surfing begins on the north shore. We visisted in early December & saw some awsome surfing during the Triple Crown of Surfing. I don't know anything about Chinatown. Hope this is helpful.

lcuy Mar 10th, 2002 03:54 PM

They hand out tickets for the boats at the AZ memorial. You can wander the exhibits on shore till your time. The last boat leaves for the memorial at 3, and it closes at 5. The problem is that they often give out the last tickets at noon or so. I'd go as early as you can to avoid disappointment.<BR>haunauma bay is another one that can be tricky. If you walk up from the bus stop you can arrive any time. If you drive, the parking fills up, and they won't let you line up to go in. You have to drive around in huge big circles down the road. You are best to go very early or gp after lunch, when all the morning people are leaving.

hl Mar 11th, 2002 05:19 AM

Thanks for the information on visiting Pearl Harbor. I'll plan to go in the morning. Any thoughts on the having one more day to explore more of Maui vs. driving around Oahu? Are the scenery and beaches pretty comparable or is Oahu different enought that the drive around Oahu is not to be missed? Again, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.<BR><BR>ps. It may be that we would be visiting Pearl Harbor on the anniversary of September 11th. Any thoughts on this? In some ways it seems like it could be special to be there on that day, but security may also be so tight it might better be avoided. Any thoughts?

Karen Mar 11th, 2002 09:46 AM

Hi Hl,<BR><BR>I would not take a day off of Maui to see Pearl Harbor. It is a moving day at Pearl Harbor but it is hot and crowded . The alternative would be to learn about native history on Maui. Why not explore what can be found on this on Maui? Just remember Maui is not so small that you will feel you know much of it in 4-5 days. The road to Hana alone is 6 hours long and on that road their are numerous trails,pools and waterfalls. I think you would be foolish to cut time here for Pearl Harbor.<BR><BR>I have been to Peal Harbor twice, I lived on Oahu. I think this trip is moving but better done when you are staying on Oahu for a week. Incidently, Iolani Palace tour is equally moving and for many the history is new so IMHO that is more informative. <BR><BR>Lcuy we were not allowed to walk into Hanama Bay either. We were told we could only enter the park if we parked outside the park, down the (Hill)road and then took a limo in for $2. per person. This was at 9 or 10am in the morning. I never wrote the tourist board about this but your post reminds me. <BR><BR><BR>

Linda Mar 12th, 2002 02:05 AM

hl - haven't been to Maui, so can't comment on it vs. Oahu scenery, but CAN say that the drive around Oahu's windward/north shores is spectacular, and well worth a day. More georgous, deserted beaches than you can imagine. We spent several wonderful days just going "beaching": put on the swimsuit and flip-flops, pack a picnic lunch, and just drive, stopping at any beach or beach park that caught our eye. Awesome mountain scenery, and a wonderful variety of different types of beaches to see.

Maureen Mar 12th, 2002 02:46 AM

I would definitely stay the extra day in Maui!! We were just in Maui last year and absolutely loved it.<BR><BR>I've been to Oahu 3 times and been robbed 2 of the 3 times (in Waimea they broke in the windows of the rental car and took a crow bar to pry out the back seat!!!!) I HATE Oahu.<BR><BR>We did do Pearl Harbor on our way to Maui this last trip like you're suggesting. It is worth the stop, but agree with go early. One time we went at 10:00 and all tickets were gone for the day! This last time we got there at 7:30 and had to wait about 1.5 hours to get in. We made a day of it and saw the submarine and the Missouri, too.<BR><BR>The time that we got there at 10 and couldn't get in we then tried to go to Hanauma Bay and also were too late to get in there, so it may not be possible to do both in the same day.<BR><BR>Iolani palace could be a good afternoon thing after Pearl Harbor, but I sure wouldn't add an extra day to my trip to see it.<BR><BR>As for September 11th, I'd avoid it. A lot of other people will probably have the same idea and it'll be packed!!

Annemarie Mar 12th, 2002 04:50 AM

Hi,<BR>We just returned from Oahu. The drive along the north shore was beautiful and the drive out past Hanauma Bay (closed on Tuesday) turned out to be incredible. We had been told that whales had been spotted from shore and sure enough we saw young humpbacks playing right off the shoreline. If you are going to do Pearl Harbor, arrive at 7:30 a.m., first boat departs at 8a.m. We arrived at 11:00 and had a 3 1/2 hour wait, we decided to walk through the museum but not take the boat out to the AZ. We did not have any bad experiences along the North Shore, but then again, it is winter and there were people everywhere, parking lots full.

Nancy Mar 12th, 2002 05:56 AM

Also want to add, lived in Honolulu never robbed. Once in Waianae someone tried to pick our car locks, is that the place you meant Maureen? Waianae on the west coast is poor and known for this kind of problem.<BR><BR>AnneMarie wondering why you would not afford a day at Iolani Palace but you would Pearl Harbor? Just curious. Our tour was great and like the above poster mentioned there is very moving historical information about the last days of a sovereign Hawaii. Not something I learned about in school. I don't remember a dry eye in our group at the end of the tour. I don't know maybe we just had a good guide. I have been 3 times though and each time it was like this. I also am curious as to why people would not seek out the cultural info of the place they are visiting? Pearl Harbor is no doubt moving but we only paid a visit when we learned about Hawaii's history.<BR><BR>I was reading someone say Pearl Harbor was moving and up there with Normandy. I don't know about you but I have been to France several times, Normandy was not at the top of my priority list. Would like to see Normandy but I would not put it abover important French historical sights. I don't hear many other travlers doing that either why do people do it in Hawaii? Just curious.

Nancy Mar 12th, 2002 06:00 AM

sorry AnneMarie I guess I meant those questions for Maureen