Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One month rental near Sloan Kettering in Manhattan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, no need for the usual tirade about illegal short term sublets in NYC, I'm well aware of that. But I do know that one month rentals in some buildings are perfectly legal and there are executive rental agencies for such things. But a friend is asking for help as she needs to be near Sloan Kettering for a month or possibly more. She has checked Affinia and some of the apartment hotels but they are still full hotel prices -- coming out to over $10,000 for the month. I've noticed some posts here in the past specifically regarding Sloan Kettering. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Sloan Kettering may very well have an office that coordinates the housing needs of people coming for longer-term care. She should begin there.

Beyond that, Oakwood has several buildings in Manhattan that offer short-term furnished corporate apartments by the month. These normally begin at about $4K I think for a studio; I think she'd be lucky to find a short-term rental for less than $5K a month in an elevator building. There may not be one right by Sloan-Kettering (the Upper East Side is one of the most expensive parts of Manhattan), but if she's going to the 53rd Street location, there may be one nearby. There are several Oakwood buildings in the east 30s, which I would consider reasonably close to E. 68th.

Does she have to be within walking distance? This is one time when using Airbnb may help. I think she's likely to find something in the east 60s (particularly near York), but it may be in a walk-up, which probably wouldn't be ideal.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:37 AM

There's an Oakwood (corporate housing) on 2nd and the low 60s, which is about 3/8 of a mile from MSK. www.oakwood.com
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Patrick, I don't see any threads that discuss longer term housing near Sloan-Kettering. There was a thread last year about finding a Hilton hotel nearby and another from 2009 about a one-week rental.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug, maybe that's why I could find anything with a search. I just thought I had seen the issue discussed before, but maybe there were very short term.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM

This is from the Sloane-kettering website:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/hos...accommodations
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I think this is in the area. It looks small but adequate, price is $2k/month, is available through October 2013 and gets pretty good reviews. There may be a cat there, if that's a problem. Just tossing it out there as one suggestion. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/848739
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

bluestar, I don't think a cat would be a problem. But this is one SCARY disclaimer:

"In light of the communications with some recent guests, please be informed that random critters may be sighted inside or outside of the apartment. This is very common in an old big city like NYC, be it mice roaches rats or spiders etc,"

So in other words, people have complained because there are rats, mice, spiders, and roaches INSIDE the apartment.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM

I think the list from sf7307 is good. Not the hotels - the price will be huge - but the other options.

For Air BnB is you are going to do a month I would just make sure that the landlord has approved the sublet.

Also - this is a walk-up building - no elevator - so you will want to ask what floor (5th floor walks ups can be very onerous in prewar buildings with high ceilings and often double flights of stairs between floors.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Like the cat issue, I think the stairs would not be nearly so important as the disclaimer, "In NYC you need to expect roaches, mice, and rats in your apartment".
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:08 PM

I don;t think you need to expect all or any of them - depending on certain circumstances.

If there are one or more slobs in the building it's hard to get rid of the vermin.

If there is construction site next door you might well find unwanted visitors.

No guarantee about what you will see on the street.

We are careful to keep our building very clean, regular exterminator visits and - and heavy fine and increasing fines for people who leave trash or dirty recyclables in the incinerator room.

We did have mice - who came in with a new tenant about 3 years ago. Took 2 exterminator visits to their apartment (they had to move out for a couple of weeks) to eradicate them.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

But you're missing the point. The warning was because of recent complaints! Obviously it IS a problem in this apartment. Similarly, bedbugs can happen anywhere but would you stay in a hotel that told you "bedbugs may be present"?
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Yes, I would be concerned and not rent this apartment. But it's certainly not true of every non-luxury building in the city. If the OP wants to stay for a month - they may be able to find a sublet - but I wouldn't reco this one for several reasons.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Of course it isn't true of all. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I thought I was being clear that I was only speaking of this one apartment.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM

"cute bathtub with a hot tub". Yeah, right. This is why airbnb is full of hot air. Caveat emptor.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM

In case your friend opts out of an apt. rental, MSK offers reduced patient/family rates on several hotels (Courtyard Midtown East; Affinia Gardens; Fitzpatrick; Fitzpatrick Grand Central; The Carlyle; The Kimberly; The Franklin; NY Presbyterian Guest Facility).

Check on Chelsea Pines too. It's convenient to MSK.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM

You really have to work your way through airbnb to find the right place that has many reviews from diverse visitors.

Here's one which is practically on top of Sloan Kettering, but it's five floors up and has a beautiful cat (in case your friend is allergy). Price is only $70 a night.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/801387

Here's another one on E66 and really close to MSK. Ground floor, $99 a night, Strick cancellation policy, but no reviews.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/755719

Here's another one that is really close - 65th & 1st, $850 a week, flexible cancellation, 3rd floor, but again no reviews (you get a feel for the apt from the reviews. Then you click on the reviewer to make sure this is not some friend who is giving a good review)

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/826141

airbnb takes patience and work, but your friend will be rewarded if she searches diligently. ~$3,500 a month is a lot better than $10,000! Move the map on the left around and click the box saying you want updates as the map moves around.

Tell her good luck! What she wants is out there, she just has to look!
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:11 AM

What is the time frame, what is the budget limit, and what is the longest distance your friend would be willing to travel to reach the hospital? Forgive me if these were posted above.

I have friends in the city who decamp for the coast in season; one or two might consider a rental, but none are in the immediate vicinity of Memorial.

Would your friend, for example, be willing to take an apt in Brooklyn with good subway connections to the hospital?
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:25 AM

There is no way I would pay $3500 a month for a BnB apt when you can get one at a corporate short-term rental building for essentially the same price. The latter is professionally managed, is reliably cleaned, in decent condition and - most of all - definitely NOT a scam.

If the BnB were significantly less money - and one with a lot of good reviews - that would certinly be worth consideration. But not otherwise - esp a high-floor walk-up. (Brownstone buildings often have very high ceilings and you can have 2 flights of 10 steps each between floors - so a th floor apartment can have 80 steps to get there.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 04:50 PM

http://www.suttoncourt.com/ on east 57th rents by the month and is pretty close.

I assume on the link provided from the hospital it talks about their OWN hotel across the street that's set up as a suite hotel. Is that not an option? I've had friends stay there and were very comfortable. The connection with the hospital makes it feel more secure should the patient become unwell.
The Bentley hotel is nearby and a nice place.
The Affinia Gardens should have a special rate forMSK patients.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -