Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One girl in Seattle in December...what the heck, eh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:11 PM
lynette

Hi everyone,...I note that most people posting are asking about weather in Seattle in like July/Aug/Oct and about hotels in the $100 range...I'm a student going to Seattle alone in December, for some bizarre reasons unknown to myself, so I have lots of questions.

1. Does anyone know what the hostels around downtown, like the Green Tortoise, are like?
Is it better/safer if I actually stay further from downtown? I'm considering the Seattle Inn also, how is that?

2. How's the weather in Seattle right now? Am I going to knock myself on the head for subjecting myself to Seattle in December for TEN DAYS?!

3. I know this is a looong post, but I really need the help because it's the first time I'm travelling alone to the US. Any other bits of advice would be TOTALLY APPRECIATED. Thanks so much!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:49 PM
xxx

Not the best time of year to visit Seattle, but it's still one of my favorite cities. It's been rainy alot lately and probably going to be pretty much the same during most of the month. But that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy this wonderful city. Just pack a rainjacket and hit the streets with the idea of having fun.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:21 AM
pj

We wre climbing Ranier in July. Two of my friends stayed at Hostels. One was Green Tortoise I would not recommend it very seedy!!! Really! The other International Hostel very clean and safe!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Wendy

Lynette, I'm not sure about the hostel but the reviews on the seattle inn arn't too hot. See http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/10787532/

It will be rainy and chilly in Dec. but if you have an umbrella and a warm jacket you will be just fine!!

Seattle can be very pretty at the holidays with all the lights up and around the city. There are some wonderful plays at the Rep and Intimen theaters also. Have fun!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:51 PM
BTilke

A while back, I spent a few nights in the Pension Nichols, near Pike Place Market. If it's still around, you might want to check it out. It's fairly inexpensive and the comfortable living room/lounge area had a beautiful view of the water (I *think* the living room had a fireplace, but don't remember exactly). Many of the guests were from Europe and it was quite a social scene at breakfast and in the afternoons. The bathrooms are shared (but there are several and I didn't have to wait). The rooms are small and most are NOT for the claustrophobic--they only have skylights, not windows. But I liked it for what it was--simple, inexpensive accommodation and a chance to get to meet some other Seattle visitors.