Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One full day in Grand Canyon South Rim - can I drive it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be driving to Grand Canyon from Sedona VERY early one morning and returning home late at night. First time for both places. When I reach the South Rim, is everything seen by walking or can I drive around to spots? Is it better to take a jeep tour or something?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Drive the east rim if you wish, 23 miles to Desert View. Several nice overlooks and wider views here. Also take the free shuttle on the west rim drive (8 miles), or to the popular places close to the visitor center area, like Mather and Yaki Points.

Is it better to take a jeep tour or something?

Take the jeep tour in Sedona (one of the top rated tourist activities in the state), but at the GC skip the jeeps and use the shuttles (west rim) and your car (east rim).
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM

If you can catch a sunrise or sunset would be nice. Unless it is completely not doable try to spend a night. Maybe hike down an hour or two down into the canyon. Helicopter ride is nice, but a little pricey.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM

And walk in! Find the Bright Angel trail head near the El Tovar Hotel and plan to walk down at least an hour. The Canyon from "in" it is so much of the experience. The edge, though cool from many vantage points on the rim is only part of the experience. You can pack a light lunch and take a longer hike, you'll have time. It's not too strenuous on that trail.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try to spend one night at the GC. It is so worth it.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There's no reason to see every viewpoint.

Since you are driving in in the morning and leaving that same day there's no chance for sunrise or sunset. So drop that.

Drive in from the east entrance and stop at the viewpoints until you get to Bright Angel trailhead.

Then hike down doe about an hour just to get the perspective.

Since I was using GC as an overnight pitstop I didn't. I didn't give it a chance.

You should be fine with this.
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM

We have driven to the Grand Canyon twice from Sedona. We left about 10 AM and got back around 7 PM. No hiking into the canyon, just lotsa' leisurely looking from the top! It will allow plenty of time, easily a day trip. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and allow for about 4 hours to look, and visit visitor's center.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Just saying. From the rim only is like having reservations at the best restaurant in the world and just looking in the window and going home.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM

We did the same, our kids were driving, left Sedona early, came back late. It was a great day!!

We drove up, parked the car, walked/hiked around a little, got in the car, drove up to another parking (I think they are free, you only pay the entrance fee) and so on.

We had lunch at the Angel Lodge, drove back for that, and found the food to be very good, and the price not as high as expected.

Another option would be to park the car, and take the free shuttles they offer.

Would staying one night at the canyon to see sunrise/sunset be an option?
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Just a warning about the hiking suggestions ... since you're driving up from Sedona you likely won't be there early enough to hike safely in the summer.

For sure you can "hike down doe about an hour just to get the perspective" but then you'll face a 2-4 hour hike OUT in the middle of the day and in the summer it gets very hot inside the canyon. Each year the Rangers rack up 230 - 300 'emergency assistances' to hikers who can't get out on their own. While most of these involve giving them something to drink or eat, or an IV, many hikers with heat exhaustion are in bad enough condition to require a mule rescue ("dragouts" in the local parlance, costing several hundred dollars) and the more serious cases involve heat stroke, requiring helicopter rescue (very expensive and dangerous).

Most of these rescues are for 'the unprepared dayhiker' (to quote the park brochure) who is seduced by how pleasant the temperature is at the top and how easy it is to walk downhill. But you're at almost 7,000 ft elevation, where the air is thin, hiking steeply uphill in the heat, and a lot of people run out of gas.

In a normal year there are 1 - 3 hiker deaths, almost always from heat stroke. The worst year I experienced saw seven deaths (including a fit 26 year old in the group ahead of us who ran out of water and died), with several dozen helicopter rescues of comatose hikers who barely made it.

In the summer you should only hike down early in the AM and plan on being out by 10 AM if possible. I've hiked over 1,200 miles in the inner canyon and taken around 30 people on backpacking or rim-to-rim hikes and would never recommend that you arrive mid-morning or later in the summer and then hike down for an hour.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

I agree with the "don't hike after 10am" comment -- I'm old enough (and hopefully wise enough) not to attempt that, even in my younger days. I plan to stay and see the sunset - no hurry to get back to Sedona, Myer - any reason we can't stay for sunset then head back to Sedona??

We may stay overnight - still discussing that. My travel companion doesn't have extra funds so it would be difficult. Is there any place to stay there in July that doesn't cost an arm & leg?

Dayenu, I'm glad to hear we can park/walk, park/walk. Didn't know how they handled cars there. I do like the shuttle idea, though. When we drive up from Flagstaff (180 to 64??), does that take you to the 'south' entrance or 'east' entrance?? Are there shuttles there?
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM

I think we drove up to the "west" part of the South Rim, drove w/stops to East Rim, then back to Sedona - but as I don't drive, didn't pay much attention to the road numbers.

The shuttle map is on the Grand Canyon website. There are 2 or 3 routes depending on the season.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I posted a full report of our trip here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...and-canyon.cfm

This is where we were at the Canyon: arrived at Mather point, then Yavapai and Angel lodge for lunch, after that drove East.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM

In the summer unless you are handicapped, you have to walk or take the shuttle west of Bright Angel lodge. Look for a place to park and then walk to the shuttle stop or rim trail. The shuttle stops at several places along the rim trail so you can get on when you tire.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM

We were there last week... and saw some snow! We drove from Sedona I think about 2 hours... It was nice to see the South Rim.. you can easily walk to see the nice views... and even drive to some viewpoints in one day.. the sun set was about 8pm last week.. so that was nice to see.. you COULD see it then head back..
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Hi....A few friends and I are planning a trip mid to late August to the Grand Canyon and Vegas to tie into an event in Vegas. We know it will be hot in Vegas but what we have found so far since the temps are mid 80s in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Does this sound accurate for August if we don't go inside the canyon or on the river? We have been on the verge of backing out given heat during August but for Southern boys, we can handle mid 80s every day and pretty much had decided to spend some time in Flagstaff and Sedona and drive around the South Rim, probably staying one night in the canyon. Thanks for any thoughts, ideas around temperature or activities for two days around the South Rim.

Bruce
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The South Rim is over 7,000 feet in elevation so much cooler than LV or Phoenix. You can't control the weather, so just go and enjoy. Try to make reservations at the GC as soon as possible and keep checking back for cancellations.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Got a spot in Maswik Lodge - I know it'll be rustic, but we don't care... it will be great to be able to overnight there one night and have a bit more time. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM

I'm going to Grand Canyon end of next month (South Rim), I'll be arriving in the evening and spending the night in the park (Red Feather) and I'll have the following day dedicated just in the park before heading to Flagstaff for the night.

Can you please suggest how best to spend my full day there? Which view points should I check out? I will have my camera equipment. I was thinking of doing the 3mile Bright Angel trek, how long would that take (both ways) approximately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -