One December night in Chicago

Dec 8th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster
One December night in Chicago

I am traveling to Chicago on business with my work partner. We are staying over one night. Our business meetings are in Franklin Park. Our flight leaves late morning so we can stay out late and enjoy the city. This meeting is a last minute surprise so forgive me... I usually travel with everything preplanned.

If you had one evening in Chicago, starting in Franklin Park, what would you do? Hook us up with something traditionally Chicago!

Dec 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Ed -

Getting to the city is a must... If you're driving and starting in Franklin Park you'll be equal distance from the Kennedy (94)or the Eisenhower (290) Expressways - take either one to Congress Pkwy exit. (Google directions to Grant Park South Parking Garage). Wear your long coat and bring your scarf, gloves and hat!!

Millennium Park is a must see (100 North) there is sculpture, ice skating, The Bean - a great place to start. Walk north to the Chicago River to view great architecture and the site of Fort Dearborn (300 North) - 1) Wrigley Building, 2) Tribune Tower, 3) if interested the new Trump Tower, continue walking north on Michigan Avenue to "The Magnificent Mile" (800 North)where you'll find the only building that survived the 1871 Chicago Fire the Water Tower. There are several restaurants along the way from cheap eats to higher end restaurants. I'd recommend Cafe Spiaggia (980 North) for a great meal with reasonable prices.

Have a great trip... offers a great resource for events and restaurant reviews for Chicago.

Best wishes,

Dec 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I'm with Chicago DLH- They've hit the nail on the head. One night, then you've got to do Millenium and head north. The Magnificent Mile is even more so at Christmastime!

Have fun in the Windy City! (Don't know where you are from, but check the weather reports before you come. The trick to staying warm outdoors is layer-layer-layer! A t-shirt under a turtleneck, under a fleece sweatshirt- then add your coat! If you are too warm, take one item off. If the temp is 20 degrees, leave off the fleece. If it is 10, leave everything on and make sure you've got a warm scarf for your neck (it ain't called the Windy City for nothin'!) and hat is imperative (50% of your body heat is lost through your head- so do yourself a big favor and cover it!) Since you're going to be walking (no problem!), you do need to be prepared to stay warm! Good news is that you're more likely to hit the lowest temps in January. It can still be "warm" by Chicago standards in December. Imperative to check the weather before you come to town, so you are prepared and have the right clothes. [Of course, there ARE plenty of places to shop and buy warm clothes on Michigan Avenue!]hahaha

Have a wonderful time. I have no doubt Chicago will become one of your favorite US cities! It is a beautiful place!!!

Search this Thread