Reload this Page >

One day visit to Magic Kingdom - staying at Dolphin hotel and other Qs

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We are planning to be in Florida in April 2014 staying in the Fort Lauderdale area for 5 days. We are thinking of adding on two nights to spend a full day at WDW - specifically at the Magic Kingdom (MK). We have two girls (7 and 9). We have been to Florida numerous times but have never done WDW.

We can use our points to stay at the Dolphin Hotel. I know it is not a Disney property per se but apparently you can still take advantage of the free shuttle to the park and extended magic hours. If we paid money to stay at the closest hotel to MK it would be $700/night at the Polynesia or Contemporary?!?!

Does anyone have any advice to share on the following:

1. Does the free shuttle from the Dolphin run early enough to take advantage of the 8 a.m. extended opening at MK?

2. Tip for the best way to see MK ine one day (il.e., what specific attractions to hit first or hidden gems). My kids are early risers so 8 a.m. start time is fine -- my youngest would likely not make it to the fireworks (and that is ok).

3. Should we plan dinner back at the Dolphin (maybe Bluezoo or Kimono's?) or is it worth it to eat at the "Be our Guest"?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM

The distance advantage of Polynesian or Contemporary is not significant. If you leave 20 minutes earlier you are in position.

Numerous web sites specialize in park visit strategies. All Ears and Dis Net are a couple. Birnbaum has an entire book on how to visit MK.

I have not eaten at Be Our Guest, but all the blog commentary is positive.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would assume the bus runs early enough. You are within easy walking distance to the Yacht and Beach Hotel complex and you can always get the shuttle from there.

Depending on what you and the kids like you might also consider eating at one of the restaurants there or over at the Boardwalk Hotel which is also within walking distance of the Dolphin/Swan.

IMO the Beaches and Cream ice cream parlor at the Yacht/Beach is one of the best offerings of its type anywhere at Disney.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shuttle will pick you up right in front of the Dolphin. The hotel will be able to tell you the schedule.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Your girls may enjoy Cinderella's Royal Table more. That is a character dining experience (Cindy comes to the table and takes pictures and interacts with the kids). Be Our Guest does not have characters interacting at your table like that: you are just eating in the Beast's Castle. The Beast does make periodic appearances and then you can take pictures with him off to the side in the library. The theming is fantastic, though! However, if you are looking for the "Princess" experience... this isn't it.
Bluezoo is a great place to eat, but it's more of an upscale dining experience. Not so much on family atmosphere. If it were me, I'd stay in the park! Or do like the above commenter mentioned and go to Beaches and Cream! Order the Kitchen sink! Yummy! I also love the philly cheese steak sandwich.
It's a good idea to get there early, get a lot done, and maybe take a break back at your resort. Maybe you could go to Beaches and Cream for a late lunch, let your little ones rest, and go back for the firework show!
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I couldn't find any info about what time the shuttle buses run from the Dolphin (other than they run every 20 minutes or so). I think the savings for us in using our points and not shelling out $500/night to stay at the Contemporary or Polynesian warrants staying at the Dolphin. I presume worst case scenario if there is no shuttle bus that will get us to MK for 8 a.m. early opening time we can just take a cab?

I checked out Beaches and Cream and it looks neat! Definitely on our itinerary!

I like the idea of coming back for a rest/swim and then heading out again for dinner. Since we are staying two nights we could spend late afternoon/evening at another area on our first day.

What would you recommend for walking around and dinner the first day (we arrive at the hotel at @ 3pm). We don't want to shell out money for a park pass that day -- should we walk around the boardwalk or downtown disney? I am sure the girls will also want to take a swim as soon as we arrive (since there is likley to still be snow on the ground where we live in Canada in april!).
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM

LOL I was going to say Boardwalk or DD! Be aware that DD does have some renovations going on.

DD Favorites:
If they like Dinosaurs, go eat at T-Rex! Or Rainforest Cafe. Touristy, cheesy fun.
The Lego store is pretty cool. You can take a boat to Port Orleans and back, which is fun.
The Splitsville bowling alley could be an option, or if you add the "Water Parks and More" to your tickets you could check out Disney Quest.

I'm also throwing out some ideas that do incur a small cost, but are much less expensive than park tickets and very memorable:

Something else that is less expensive but really fun is the themed minigolf on property. You would be within walking distance of the one right in front of the Boardwalk Hotel- Fantasia Gardens! It's themed after the movie Fantasia and is a lot of fun. There is also Winterland/Summerland minigolf that you could access by bus. It's on the same grounds as Typhoon Lagoon (basically in front of the water park). It's minigolf Disney style- very interactive and a lot of fun!

They also have a variety of rentals, from Surrey Bikes to personal watercraft (mouse boats). They girls are old enough to drive themselves, but you could rent 2 and they could each ride.

The Dolphin has really nice pools. My favorite is the one with the rocks and waterslide.

Oh! You know something else that is really cool? You can go to Animal Kingdom Lodge (by bus via DD) and watch the animals on the plains with night vision goggles! While you are there, you could eat at Boma: Flavors of Africa. It's my FAVORITE! Great stuff for kids as well. First I was freaked out at the mention of "African food". But it's fantastic, and not crazy stuff. Check out their menu on Disney's website if you think your family would be interested.

One of my other favorite places to eat is O'hana at the Polynesian Resort. If you get a 8:30 reservation, you can see the fireworks at 9:00! The entire back wall of the restaurant is glass, and it overlooks 7 Seas Lagoon and Cinderella's Castle. They pipe in the music from the show into the restaurant. Before dinner, you can relax in the hammocks and let your girls play on the beach. Also, they have an Electrical Water Pageant on the lagoon. It's like a night parade on the water- it's really cool! It runs several times a night. You can find more info here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...water-pageant/

You could also check out what is going on at other resorts on property. Did you know they have a Chip & Dale Campfire singalong at Fort Wilderness? Speaking of cool places to go and explore- Fort Wilderness is really neat!
They also have movies on the beach at the Yacht and Beach Club. That's within walking distance of your hotel. Just check the schedule online when it gets closer to your trip.

Hopefully this will inspire you with a few ideas!

Also, you should check out Lou Mongello's podcasts series: WDW Radio! They are really informative and entertaining. They will definitely help get you ready for your trip!
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow! This all is incredible -- an embarassment of choices! Now I get why people spend a week at WDW and go repeatedly! (DH is very skeptical and could only convince him to try two nights added on to an existing FL vacation).

Thanks again, all.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Update - unfortunately the hotel on points is no longer available to us. DOH!

so this leaves us with three choices: 1) paying for the Dolphin/Swan (@270/night); 2) staying at the Hilton Buena vista in DTD (same price as Dolphin/Swan); or 3) staying at the Port Orleans FQ or Riverside (Disney "moderate" hotel). These hotels are all about the same price. We coudl also look to one of the value hotels (slightly less than $200/night).

Any views?
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 02:15 AM

Personally, I'd go for Port Orleans. The theming is lovely, and while the rooms aren't super-deluxe the service is great and the pool is really nice. And they have the boat to DTD. What week are you going? There are often hotel deals on Disney's site, but they will NOT be available right around Easter, and they may not have the April promotions up yet.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 04:15 AM

With regards to the shuttle, will you not have a car? Why not just pay the $14 to park and not worry about the shuttle?

Since you're probably going to spend all day at the park, why not stay at some place like Homewood Suites Lake Buena Vista. You get a separate bedroom, free breakfast and it's about a 20 minute drive to MK parking. It's certainly not a themed resort, but does have a decent pool and is plenty comfortable.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM

I would definitely stay at Port Orleans. And I'd take the bus. If you drive yourself, you have to park and take the transportation to the Magic Kingdom, though parking is free if you are staying at a WDW hotel (not so if you stay at the Hilton, which is a Non-Disney hotel on Disney property and has a vastly inferior shuttle service).

If you take a WDW hotel bus, you are dropped off at the Magic Kingdom gates, which saves as much as 30 minutes on travel time. If you take a Non-Disney Hotel bus, you are dropped off at the transportation center and then have to take a boat or monorail into the Magic Kingdom.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Personally our favorite moderate hotel was the Coronado. Great pool and slide, frigs in the room, didn't share a bus to the MK and the ride was relatively short. Haven't been in 8 years though, so my info may be out of date. Having stayed at both moderate and deluxe Disney resorts, I would stick with moderate, especially for a short stay.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Doug: I had not realized that the Hilton shuttle is different than the WDW shuttles. We definitely want to take a WDW hotel bus to be dopped off at the MK gates (I had read if you drive and park yourself it is quite a bit further to walk).

I know that we are paying extra $ to stay at a WDW hotel but since we only have the one day, (and we are a family of early risers), I really want to take advantage of the 8 a.m. extended magic hour opening.

so that leaves a WDW hotel (either moderate or value) or the Dolphin/Swan.

Doug: Would the Dolphin/Swan also use the same WDW bus?

I think I am now leaning towards the Port Orleans. Do you have a preference between the FQ or hte Riverside (they are about the same price).

We will be staying there Tuesday april 15-thursday April 17. Even though Easter is on the Friday I guess the week before/after are still high season....
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM

I don't know personally about the Dolphin/Swan bus issue. But they are also non Disney hotels on Disney property.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:42 AM

If you were planning on visiting EPCOT, I would advise staying at the Swan/Dolphin because you can walk to the park. But, since you are only going to the MK, I would stay at Port Orleans (French Quarter). POFQ is the smallest of the Disney Resorts (easy to navigate) and has a nice pool with a slide. PO Riverside is also very nice, so either way, you are good. You can walk from one to the other.

Have fun!
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have stayed at the Dolphin and YES...they do use the WDW transportation system.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:12 AM

I like the Dolphin because it is a short walk (or quick boat ride) to the Boardwalk, Disney Studios and Epcot. Although it sounds like you are only going to MK. Buses do leave early enough for you to get there before opening.

We love the Boardwalk and always stay in that area - fun to walk there at night and lots of good restaurants. Flying Fish is our favorite.

If you do stay up for the MK fireworks, be sure to book the dessert buffet - one of the highlights of our trip - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...dessert-party/

This is our favorite guide book - we buy a new one everytime we go (a tradition that started with my dad buy one for our first trip 25 or so years ago). Lots of insider tips, photos,talks about every ride/restaurant/attraction in detail and helps you plan - http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt.../dp/1423152271
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 05:10 AM

I like Riverside but I have a friend who prefers French Quarter. Rooms at Riverside have been refurbished in last couple of years and are nice. Splurge for a "Royal Room", especially if there is a discount offered to the general public during your dates. The headboards light up with an LED "fireworks" display w/ the push of a button.
Lovely grounds and a pretty nice food court (small). Boat to Downtown Disney, too.

Your girls are the perfect age for disney world They are going to love it.
Re. Be Our Guest, you can have a "quick service" meal for lunch. The entrance hall is gorgeous.
Dinner with Beast character is still very hard/impossible to book. You'll have to line up for the lunch but it moves quickly in my experience.
Although character meals are fun, they are expensive and relatively time-consuming. With just one day at the MK you might stick with something quick. We love the waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow.
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/1...sleepy-hollow/

Check out "Easy WDW" cheat sheets for an itinerary. This guy is GOOD.

If you book at a WDW resort you should, by April, be able to use FastPass+ and book a few Fastpasses online before you leave for your trip. They have rolled out a billion-dollar new system. Park admission is via "Magic Bands" which are RFID wristbands that serve as your room key, charge card, etc. Should be amazing.

Have a great time!

P.S. You are going during VERY high season. It will be PACKED the week before Easter, which will make things difficult. You should ask your girls what their must-dos are (get them a book or have them look at the website). You should PLAN your day, but stay as flexible as you can
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! These are terrific tips.