Reload this Page >

One day trips from St Louis

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:49 AM
cd

We will be in St Louis on business for 7 days and will have the weekend free. Do you know of any "one day trips" from St Louis? We enjoy history, scenery, unique sights and good food. Thank you.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
jp

For history, you could try Springfield, IL. About a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive.

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
xxx

Hannibal(sp?) Missouri

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:06 PM
cd

Thank you both. What wonderful suggestions! I had wanted, at one time, to go to Hannibel and forgot about it and it's been years since we visited Lincoln at Springfield! Thanks again.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Holly

There are a couple different places that I can think of. First there is Meramec caverns located near Stanton. There is also the Bonne Terre mines which is pretty interesting tour of the mines. Also for scenery there is Elephant rock national park which is a pretty good drive south but it is totally worth it. It is located south of St Louis in the Mark Twain national forest.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Catherine

You might look into Alton, IL, which is right across the river from St. Louis. I don't know for sure what specific sights to see (if any) , but I do know it has a lot of history.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:46 AM
alex

I am hesitant to recommend this since I have not personally been there but my brother and his fiance are just wild about Hermann, MO. So much so that they are getting married there (I posted about this a while ago). There are apparently several interesting wineries (they are getting married at Stone Hill winery) and some historic sites. Someone else posted that it is very European feeling. I think it is about a 2 hour drive. Anyway, just a thought and here is the website they gave us: http://www.hermannmo.com/index.html

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
cd

Thanks again for such great information!

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM
kkj

Hannibal is fun. Skip Alton. Pretty much a dirty river town. If you like antiques, try St. Charles.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:26 PM
aaron

in no order---here's my picks based on living here for 26 years---most underarted is our large winery country, most fun if you rent a convertible (augusta, hermann---plenty of good restaurants in these two towns, marthaville and many more---at least 15 to see--mt.pleasant is the most touristy...the other mount something else is the best)---pere marquette state park via the great river road and return via st. charles----you'll get a free car ferry ride or two included in the drive and the park is good for light hiking and has a very good dining room---hawn state park for hiking, getting up very early because it's a full day of hiking---you could take a train from kirkwood to jeff city and back, including a tour of the capitol building which is a decent walk from the jeff city train station---this would be my least favorite....this is now a decent list---hannibal and springfield are overrated as day trip unless you're into main stream tourist stuff.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:31 PM
jim

The Botanical Garden is awesome this time of year.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:59 PM
cd

I love all this information! Thanks! Aaron-what is a good restaurant in Hermann?

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Pam

I will second the wine country in Missouri. We were there about a month ago - went to Stone Hill which was very nice - loved the wines and were disappointed to find we could not ship them home. Someone there recommended the Grapevine Restaurant which we didn't have time to go to. Also went to a winery in Augusta - can't remember the name of it - but the grounds were beautiful - so quiet and peaceful.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:38 PM
melba

St. Charles has some unique shops and historic sites. Kimswick is also an old river town near St. Louis. Lot of unique shops. Enjoy authentic Italian food on "The Hill" in St. Louis. I would also recommend Meramec Caverns in Stanton and Stone Hill Winery in Hermann. Union station, Fox Theatre, Muni Opera outdoor theatre, and Grant's Farm are all in St. Louis and are great places to go. I would skip Springfield and Alton.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:21 PM
cd

Thank you! Is Stone Hill opened on Sunday? And where do you find "the Hill"?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:12 PM
melba

The "Hill" is located off I40 and Kingshighway. Just ask for directions at the hotel where you are staying. Any St. Louis native can direct you there. You should probably have reservations at the restaurant of your choice. My personal preferences are Rigazzis (314-772-4990) and Charlie Gitto's (314-772-8898)...but others may disagree. The Hill is a very unique place. I don't know if Stone Hill Winery is open on Sunday...probably not. Their number is 1-800-909-WINE. Hope you have a good time.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:28 AM
cd

Thanks Melba!