Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One-day trip to Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-day-trip-to-kauai-259978/)

yvette Sep 22nd, 2002 01:11 AM

One-day trip to Kauai

My girl friend and I are taking a five-day vacation in Hawaii. We will mostly stay on Oahu, but would like to take a one-day trip to Kauai. We're not experienced outdoors people, but would like to go on an scenic excursion on foot. Any suggestions?<BR>Also, would it be possible to do this trip without staying overnight on Kauai?<BR>

BBB Sep 22nd, 2002 04:25 AM

If you are going to Kauai for only one day why spend it doing a scenic excursion on foot? You will end up seeing only a very small part of Kauai, and when you get home you will not be able to tell people "what Kauai is like". Spend your one day on Kauai by taking a quick look at as much of Kauai as you can see. Do your hiking on Oahu.

Duane Sep 22nd, 2002 05:34 AM

More power to you. With a 5 day trip I wouldn't go to Kauai for just a day. Nothing against Kauai, I spent 2 weeks there and loved it. Kauai is just too beautiful to spend a day there. <BR><BR>Besides, there are enough cool spots on Oahu to keep you busy. Plenty of places to hike, ride horses, go surfing, etc. Why run yourself ragged just to visit the island for a few hours? <BR><BR>If you decide to go, I am sure you'll like it. I have talked to a few people that have gone over and back in a day. Very hurried and very tired afterward. But, they had over a week to recuperate where you have 5 days total.<BR><BR>Whatever you decide, enjoy!<BR>Duane

Duane Sep 22nd, 2002 05:35 AM

More power to you. With a 5 day trip I wouldn't go to Kauai for just a day. Nothing against Kauai, I spent 2 weeks there and loved it. Kauai is just too beautiful to spend a day there. <BR><BR>Besides, there are enough cool spots on Oahu to keep you busy. Plenty of places to hike, ride horses, go surfing, etc. Why run yourself ragged just to visit the island for a few hours? <BR><BR>If you decide to go, I am sure you'll like it. Take a helicopter tour - you'll see the heart of Kauai in the timeframe you have available. I have talked to a few people that have gone over and back in a day. Very hurried and very tired afterward. But, they had over a week to recuperate where you have 5 days total.<BR><BR>Whatever you decide, enjoy!<BR>Duane

aloha Sep 22nd, 2002 06:40 AM

I agree with the above posts--there is plenty of scenic walking on O'ahu. I do think it's possible to go to Kaua'i and back to O'ahu in a day; there are inter island flights about every half hour.<BR><BR>To plan a day in Kaua'i I would shut my eyes and envision what it is that made me decide to go there. Then research where that is on the island and make a beeline there, soak it in for a few hours, and fly back. (You'll probably have to rent a car.) The most recommended guidebook is the Ultimate Kaua'i guidebook. I'm not aware of any organized day trips from O'ahu to Kaua'i.<BR><BR>If I could only be there one day, I would go to Ke'e (end of the road on north shore), stop at Tunnels, and just walk on the beaches for as many hours as I could squeeze in.

jeff Sep 22nd, 2002 07:07 AM

I agree with other replies, hike on Oahu. But, why don't you consider a helicopter ride over Kauai, lunch at A Pacific Cafe or Gaylords in Hanalei and a couple hours on a semi secluded beach.

yvette Sep 22nd, 2002 08:10 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice! I guess the hiking on Kauai should wait. Now, what would be a scenic hiking trail on Oahu?

aloha Sep 22nd, 2002 10:00 AM

Yvette, you might want to post a new message asking about hiking on O'ahu. You have the attention of the Kaua'i enthusiasts on this thread, and we may not know too much about O'ahu. You can search this site also or just go thru previous posts to find info.<BR><BR>A classic hike would be Diamond Head. The view from the top is panoramic. I have hiked to Manoa falls but all I can tell you is that it is at the back of Manoa valley; I was with someone who knew the area. Most guidebooks (for example Frommers) will give you some ideas of resources. I think the Sierra Club and the Hawai'i Nature Center do guided hikes. Enjoy your trip!

kt Sep 22nd, 2002 05:03 PM

Check out www.hawaiitrails.org for a comprehensive list of hiking trails for all the islands. I really like the Makiki/Tantalus hikes, which are just outside of Waikiki (noted in the box on the Oahu page). The Manoa Falls Hike, for example, takes you through a rain forest to a waterfall. From the Manoa Cliff Trail you can see waterfalls at the back of the valley and Diamond Head and Waikiki as you look to the ocean. Just because you are on Oahu does not mean you won't have great scenery.

yvette Sep 23rd, 2002 01:03 AM

Thanks again. The Na Ala Hele Trail and Access System site is really helpful. We're picking out some trails we may want to do. I can't wait!!!

Patty Sep 23rd, 2002 11:46 AM

yvette,<BR>If you're still interested in hiking in Kauai (what's wrong with spending the day in Kauai hiking anyway?), you can rent a car and drive to Ke'e beach on the north shore and hike the Kalalau (sp?) trail for some beautiful views of the Na Pali coast. You can hike just the first 2 miles - plan about 2 hours roundtrip with stops for photos, etc. Enjoy!