One day trip from where you live?

Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

One day trip from where you live?

I love one day trips. Even when I travel I try to set aside one day for a day trip. Some of my favorite travel memories are from these one day trips.
I am interested in documenting your favorite trips for my future travel dates. I have about 12 more US trips this year.

Here's the general 'rules'.
-You need to be able to leave in the morning and return to the same place you started by bedtime.
-The trip can be a driving tour or a destination. I suppose it could even be a scheduled tour.
-I need it to be an inexpensive outing. Of course you can write anything you want but I hope you have at least one idea for your area that is not really an amusement park type place.

Here's a few of my favorite day trips from Sachse, Texas (NE of Dallas)
1. Canton First Monday, about 70 miles east of Dallas. http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/history1.html
You can spend a whole weekend looking at everything. We go for a day and try to hit our favorites. You get filthy from the dust and it can be hotter than H*** in the summmer. We prefer to go in the cooler months. I also take my dog and she wears a backpack and carries stuff for me
2. Glenrose, Texas and Dinosaur Valley State Park. This is SW of Dallas and takes about 2 hours from Sachse.
http://www.glenrosetexas.net/
Another trip I reserve for Spring. Good wildflower viewing in March/April but in the summer it is fun to play in the Paluxy and Brazos Rivers.
3. Jefferson Texas with a picnic at Lake O The Pines. About 2 hours NE of Dallas.
http://www.jefferson-texas.com/
This destination is great anytime! It has a very interesting history.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:47 AM

I am lucky to live in Pinnacle, NC. It is relatively rural but close enough to Winston-Salem for shopping, etc. My favorite day trips include
1. The New River Trail, great converted rail trail for cycling along the river.
2. The North Carolina Zoo, a fantastic facility.
3. Blowing Rock, NC more the area than the town which is very overbuilt and getting worse hourly.
4. The Blue Ridge Parkway

Come for a visit!
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:55 AM

From here my favorite place to go is probably Sedona. http://www.visitsedona.com/
It's so beautiful there, great hiking, food, etc. And while I'm by no means into "new age" I do feel that there's something special up there

For a driving trip, we love the Apache Trail
http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/apache_trail/

It goes by 3 lakes and along a beautiful mountain roadway. It's some rough terrain though, so for comfort I'd say SUV only. We usually bring the dog and wind up swimming at Roosevelt Lake.

Since we live in suburb hell, I like my day trips to be more about being outside.

HTH

Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM

1)Since I live in New Jersey, my favorite and frequently taken day trip is into Manhattan. Usually it is a play and dinner but can also be special museum shows, shopping or whatever.

2)Another day trip for me, as a birder, is a visit to Edwin Forsythe Wildlife Refuge in Oceanville, NJ...a great place to see birds any time of the year. I try to stop at Allan's in New Gretna for seafood.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM

For people who have never visited Colorado, I always recommend a day trip to Estes Park and the driving tour through Rocky Mountain National Park. You can make the full loop through to Grand Lake and back to Denver in a day. It's a long day, but one I've done with visitors several times.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
LHS

From Rapid City, SD

Within the Black Hills:
Spearfish Canyon to Roughlock Falls & the abandoned mining town of Tinton, still had houses the last time I was there, though they were being vandalized.

Deadwood for gambling and historical wild west

Mount Rushmore, the boardwalk hike around the base is easy, also history & museum

Crazy Horse monument, the volksmarch the first weekend of June when you can hike up to the outstretched arm

Sylvan Lake, easy hike around, it is also the base of the hike to the top of Harney Peak, tallest mountain in the Black Hills. Hikes to Cathedral Spires and Little Devils Tower nearby.

Custer State Park, hiking & wildlife loop, we've driven through the middle of the free range buffalo herd and the prairie dogs & donkeys are always active.

Lake Pactola, swimming, boating, scuba to see the flooded town under the water from before the dam was built

Bear Butte, holy area for the Lakota. Trees & bushes all the way to the top are hung with prayer bundles. Gorgeous view of the plains to one side and mountains to the other.

The Badlands, hiking, scenic

Wyoming, Devil's Tower

Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM

We like to take long day trips to the beach and/or coastal towns. Living in Massachusetts there's lots on offer...

My favorite would be Cape Cod (not on a weekend in summer though as the traffic turns this beach trip into a road trip!) If we don't feel like a long drive we stop off in Plymouth before we get to the Cape.

Portsmouth, NH. Take a boat trip.

Newport, RI. More boats and the mansions...

Providence, RI. Try to see Waterfire in the summer. The river is lit up by braziers and this is accompanied by entertainment (music etc)... and it's free!

Rockport, MA is lovely for a day at the beach and can be combined with other nearby towns... so we have lunch in one town, an afternoon on the beach and dinner somewhere else before we head home. Other towns we've enjoyed include Newburyport, Gloucester, etc.

Aside from the beach we've also enjoyed daytrips to the Berkshires for Tanglewood and New York (long day!)but prefer to overnight.

We're within range of at least half a dozen ski places for winter day trips in MA, NH and VT.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:30 AM

I live near Albany NY. One of my favorite day trips is a drive up the west side of Lake George to Ft. Ticonderoga...especially if there reenactors putting on a mock battle.
They like to reanact episodes from the French & Indian Wars which always involves french speaking reenactors from Quebec. That adds a realistic touch to the event.

Here's what something like that looks like:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/18437506

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/18437402
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
yk

I live in Dallas. Last May, I did two one-day trips to Austin and Kansas City. Both involve flying - it was $78 r/t to both cities. This was when AA was having a fare sale against SouthWest from Love Field.

Austin Daytrip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34808787

Kansas City Daytrip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34808796
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

From San Miguel de Allende, Gto., we can get to colonial Dolores Hidalgo; Guanajuato; San Luis Potosi; Queretaro; Tequisquiapan; Bernal; the Sierra Gorda; Mexico City and the adjacent historic areas; Zitacauro and the butterfly sanctuaries in E. Michoacan; Morelia; Patzcuaro: Uruapan, and Guadalajara.
M
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM

When we spend a week in Maine we typically do day trips. Say you were staying in Wiscasset, you could drive up to Lincolnville (just north of Camden) for a wine tasting, take a picnic lunch to the top of Mt Battie overlooking Camden Harbor. Or you could take a short hike to the Owls Head lighthouse but then head to Waterman's Beach for steamed lobster by the water (not sure if that meets your inexpensive rule but it's reasonably priced).
In NH we like to visit the Musterfield Farm Museum in Sutton during Old Farming Days. You could bring a picnic lunch (we usually do). Stay all day (tractor parade at 2pm) On the way home you could drive up Mt Kearsarge and do a short hike. We have not visited the Indian Museum but have heard it is very good.
It could be a day trip but it's more fun to spend more time in the area of northern VT. The Great Vermont Corn Maze in Danville requires admission but is worth it. Work up an appetite, enjoy the view at the top, head over to Littleton NH for ice cream after dinner at the Miss Lyndonville Diner.
There are some very poorly advertised events in the New England area but the folks who put them on don't really want too many people. There are free concerts on Sunday evenings and you are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch. One small concert venue is a gazebo on a small island so some people let their children play in the water (there's a pedestrian bridge to the island). One time we went to a fiddlers' picnic, sort of a potluck church supper outdoors. The fiddlers ranged in age from young beginners to gray haired folk who are mostly self taught. I think this event is in August and you have to watch the community news listings for that town to see an announcement. Another inexpensive outing is to attend an Old Home Day celebration. In our town it begins with a small parade at 10am followed by games in the park for the kids. The old folks visit (purpose of the event) and enjoy a picnic lunch. A band plays old time favorite songs in the pine grove. We try to get the relatives together for a picnic. The older kids go swimming in the river and climb a rock on the opposite shore so they can jump in. When you are 12 this is very exciting. When our son was 15 he and his friends won the greased pole climbing contest. Norman Rockwell couldn't have painted a nicer day. Very important for young teen boys to invite a couple of cute girls to help them climb the pole.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM

What a fun thread!

I live in San Jose, CA, so our day trip options are endless. Here is one of my favorites though:

San Mateo Coast - Get up reasonably early and head over to Half Moon Bay for breakfast at the Main Street Cafe - it takes about an hour or so to get over there, maybe a little less from my house.

After breakfast, buy a picnic lunch for later from the grocery/deli across the street and head south on Hwy 1 toward Pescadero.

I like to stop at the beaches along the way, do some beachcombing, watch the waves, try to spot whales, and so forth.

If I am in the mood for a hike in the woods, I will go to Butano state park near Pescadero. There is also a marsh at Pescadero for some terrific bird watching.

Then late afternoon, I head home. Makes for a really nice day. And if I am in the mood for another restaurant meal rather than the picnic, I will go to Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

Flew to Kauai, played two rounds of golf, back that night.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Wow, from here I could do a day trip to Chicago.

Or a day trip to Madison.

I could to go Horicon Marsh, or the north kettle moraine, or maybe the south kettle moraine.

I could drive up to Kohler and spend a day at Teri Andre state park right on Lake Michigan.

Or I could go to Tower Hill state park. I loved camping there as a kid.

I could take a day trip to Lake Geneva.

If I were really ambitious, I could take a trip to the Dells, but it's a 3.5 hour drive.

I could spend a day poking around the antique shops in Cedarburg.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I cruised the internet I'd find lots more to do.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM

I live on Long Island, and we make lots of day trips to Manhattan (30 minutes away)
Other great day trips we enjoy: North Fork wine country (50 minutes away), Montauk (2 hours), Sag Harbor (1.5 hours), Shelter Island (1.5 hours plus a 5 minute ferry ride), and Atlantic City (2 1/2 hours)
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM

I love living in Park City, UT! Fortunately for me there are many, many day trips. Some of my favorites:

Winter: skiing at any of 10 ski resorts within 5 - 60 minutes of my home

Fall: The Alpine Loop to see the aspens in all their glory, can easily add lunch or dinner at Sundance - yum!

Summer: drive up to the high Uintas, hike, fish, picnic. Lots of people even bike the main road. For toughies only - it goes up to over 10,000 ft.!

Summer: mid-July - mid-Aug, the Albion Basin at Alta for thick carpets of wildflowers just like on the calendars

and on, and on, and on
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM

My favorite (and only) daytrips from Seattle involve hiking or snow sports.

In winter/spring, we drive up to Snoqualmie Pass (one hour away) for a day of snowshoeing with the dog.

In summer, we head up to Paradise at Mt. Rainier (note to Dayle---this is the only place I know that rivals Albion Basin for an outrageous wildflower display). Hopefully, the flood damage will be rapaired and the road opended again in time for this summer's hike. The trip always involves a stop at a bakery in Ohanapacosh.

In late summer or fall, the destination is Cascade Pass, off the North Cascades highway. Incredible fall colors, with hanging glaciers and peaks all around. This daytrip always includes a stop at the blueberry farm for ice cream on the way back.

Other great hikes within a day's drive (out and back) are the Olympic Mountains, Dungeness Spit, and the wilderness beaches in Olympic National Park. Lots to choose from---each with an associated bakery or ice cream stop!
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

For a day out on the lake and back.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM

From my perch in Sonoma County, CA:

South:
San Francisco, for sure,for theatre, a museum, or a Giants game
where the drive is only in to Marin
and the rest of the trip is by ferry.

North:
Lunch at the Jimtown Store before a
winetasting trek around the Alexander
Valley
or
Lunch at Willi's before treking and sipping in Dry Creek & Russian River areas

West/North:
Pt Reyes/Bodega Bay/Salmon Creek Jenner/Gualala-all kinds of cominations for dining and/or hiking.

East/North:
Calistoga, with a stop or two for winetasting before a spa
stop.
Clear Lake for boating in the summer.

I want to try J Correa's day-trip sometime !

R5

Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM

Enzian, I love the way you travel...including a stop for bakeries and ice cream!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO