Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One Day in San Diego - Zoo or Wild Africa Park (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-day-in-san-diego-zoo-or-wild-africa-park-205846/)

Rich Apr 25th, 2002 11:50 AM

One Day in San Diego - Zoo or Wild Africa Park

I only have day free to myself, first weekend in May. Love animals, which is a better choice, the SD zoo or the Wild Africa Park. I have a car so location is no problem. Have been to the Bronx Zoo, is SD Zoo bettr?

Mo Apr 25th, 2002 12:15 PM

The San Diego Zoo is right on par with the Bronx Zoo. The big advantage to the Zoo right now over the Wild Animal Park is that the pandas are there.<BR><BR>We took our kids to both places in November. They both love animals and I would call it a toss up between the two. Maybe a slight edge to the zoo because there were a wider variety of animals. <BR><BR>If you've been to a world class zoo like in the Bronx, you might want to opt for the Wild Animal Park to see animals in a pseudo-habitat.

travellyn Apr 25th, 2002 12:31 PM

I liked the WAP better because there were more exhibits in which there was some interaction with the animals, such as the lorakeet area where they would come down and feed, having butterflies land on me in the rain forest area, etc. It also seemed like a more relaxed place overall.

sher Apr 25th, 2002 01:54 PM

The zoo is VERY special.<BR>Try not to miss it.

karen Apr 25th, 2002 01:55 PM

Definitely the zoo. It's great.<BR><BR>Karen

gloria Apr 25th, 2002 03:06 PM

I went to both this past Feb, I would vote for the Wild Animal Park. It is so different from a typical zoo. Loved the train ride, and walking the trails to see the animals in a more natural habitat.

Boots Apr 25th, 2002 05:37 PM

We went to both places - Zoo and WAP- in late March. For our family of 5 (kids ages 11-14) the SD Zoo won hands-down for all of us. We got there early and caught the first tour bus around and then just meandered everywhere by foot the rest of the day - leaving only when it closed. Just incredible.

Sue Apr 25th, 2002 05:53 PM

Been to both, with kids and w/o kids. While I found the WAP fun and interesting, I found the zoo FAR more entertaining.<BR><BR>I could sit in the Polar Bear exhibit for days! Pandas are in town too and that makes it a must for the zoo.

xxx Apr 26th, 2002 08:47 PM

We went to both the Zoo and WAP. I found the Zoo more enjoyable and saw more animals. Seeing the Pandas and the Koalas was a real treat. WAP of course is a more natural setting but you may not be able to view animals since their habitat is larger and more private. Didn't get to see the cheetah, lions or tigers. Can't say I blame them I'd stay away from people too.

wendy Apr 27th, 2002 05:31 PM

For the record, the SD Zoo blows the bronx zoo to shreds. I was really bummed by the Bronx zoo...I actually saw a giraffe INSIDE an exhibit. Poor thing. I lived in SD for 8 years, and never tired of the zoo (now live in NY). But...shortly before moving to NY, I spent the day at the Wild Animal Park and went home cursing myself for not spending more time there. It's a far more unique experience than the zoo...much more authentic. <BR><BR>Whatever you do, you will be happy. The WAP is a trek from central SD...a good 40 minutes northeast. Don't know if that factors in to your decision, but SD Zoo is downtown..and surrounded by Balboa Park, a beautiful area filled with museums...and restaurants and close to downtown.

jim Apr 27th, 2002 09:52 PM

If its the first time, and you only have one day, definately the San Diego Zoo. The WAP is excellent as well but it is a long drive, and you will spend half the day getting there and back. Also, the Zoo is right next to Balboa Park, which has TONS of stuff to do (museums, organ concerts on Sundays, restarurants, etc.) if you get tired of the Zoo.

Owen O'Neill Apr 28th, 2002 03:56 AM

My daughter and I went to WAP one day and the SD zo the following day. WE both preferred WAP despite the smaller number of animals. Reason was the simulation of natural environment - much more engaging experience for us. If you've never been to a first rate zoo before then perhaps the zoo should be the choice for your first visit but otherwise do the WAP.

Candace Apr 28th, 2002 04:27 AM

If you want to see a lot animals the zoo would be the place to go. It was hands down the best zoo I have ever been to. If you choose the WAP check and see how hot it is that day we went on a day it was over 100 degrees and that lowered our enjoyment. There's a lot of hiking and it is interesting but you don't really see any animals close up they are always in a distance.

Patty Apr 28th, 2002 11:08 AM

WILD ANIMAL PARK is a must. Because the Zoo is a zoo. THe WAP is a different experience, there are very few places you can see the animals roaming. We were disappointed in the zoo after it had been soooo hyped for us.

Mary Apr 28th, 2002 06:27 PM

Living just behind the hills of the Wild Animal Park, I will give my vote for the Wild animal Park as a choice over the San Diego Zoo. Get there when the WAP opens and you can jump on the 55 min open air tour tram. After that you will be able to hit every show in the park like clockwork. the animals are a joy to behold early in the morning, like all of us. The heat of the day drives them to shade and away from close view. The Zoo can be tiring with all the walking and exhibits scattered around the park. The WAP is enjoyable.

Miss/Mr X Apr 29th, 2002 04:26 AM

Rich, as you've noticed by these posts, it's really an apples/oranges thing. I've also been to both, but would have a hard time choosing. (Because of the koalas, I lean towards SDZ.)<BR>

xxx3 Apr 29th, 2002 04:31 AM

What's the koala exhibit like nowadays? When I saw them many years ago, they were just two furry lumps high up in a eucalyptus tree. Certainly not a deciding factor for a visit. <BR><BR>OTOH, when the koalas visited Boston last summer, they were in a building with a ten-foot ceiling, so they couldn't go any higher than that. It made them much more visible, and it certainly made them more accessible to visitors, but they didn't look too happy about their loss of privacy. Does the zoo have an exhibit like that now?

Rich Apr 29th, 2002 07:10 AM

I want to thank everyone for there reply's. I think this is a great forum because you can get honest comments from people who have been there. It really is a tossup, I've heard lots about both places. I'm leaning towards the Wild Animal park because it is different from the normal zoo enviroment and I have been to the Bronx and Denver zoo's. I just wish I had time to see both.

travellyn Apr 29th, 2002 08:16 AM

If you choose the WAP, it's nice to get there as soon as it opens for the train around the park. My family brought a picnic lunch and we sat around for about 45 minutes in the shade at midday to take a breather. A hat and water bottle are necessities.

xxx Apr 29th, 2002 08:43 AM

re jim's post above...you wil not spend 1/2 the day getting o the WAP. it's a enjoyable drive and only takes about 40 minutes if that. agree the animals are best seen early in the morning. it is inland so will be warmer then san diego.