Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   one day in Newport RI (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-day-in-newport-ri-454229/)

LindaAlbery Jun 28th, 2004 06:48 PM

one day in Newport RI

We only have one day in Newport, RI. What are the "must do" activities for a family of 4 (2 teens)?

lvk Jun 28th, 2004 07:40 PM

If you gave more info, we could really be more helpful. Is your "one day" early morning until night? What time of year also will definitely dictate the responses. What are your teens into? Do they like hiking or would they rather shop? I'm making an assumption that you're visiting in warm weather, so here goes:

1. Start with a drive along ten mile drive. You will see beautiful coastline and some mansions. Link: www.tenmiledrive.com.
2. Park and take the Cliff Walk. Ocean on one side, mansions on the other. Link: www.cliffwalk.com
3. Tour a mansion, if that appeals to you. The Breakers is my personal favorite (Cornelius Vanderbilt) www.newportmansions.org.
4. Drive down to the waterfront, stroll along Thames St. and the wharves, stopping to eat at one of the many restaurants (highly recommend the chowder at the Black Pearl) and shopping at the little shops.

lvk Jun 28th, 2004 07:50 PM

Oops, too quick on the mouse!

There are also great beaches, the Tennis Hall of Fame, and many more historic sites. Again, depending on your timing and your family's interests.

oldmubs Jul 5th, 2004 04:02 PM

Just got back from Newport and loved the 1 hour boat ride on the "Spirit of Newport." Excellent narrator and we saw mansions that can't be seen from the drive and were told the history of them. Actually, the side towards the water is the prettiest. Sprawling lawns etc. Extremely interesting. Such great stories about them all. Fun to see how the rich and famous live.

LoisL Jul 5th, 2004 06:09 PM

There is an information center right next to the Marriott, and they provided many choices. It would allow for the family to discuss options and decide together. I also recommend doing the ocean drive. I found the smallest pkg.for the mansion tours more than satisfactory. The town itself is charming.

vanhayhurst Jul 6th, 2004 07:28 AM

For those of you who are knowledgeable...is parking an issue in Newport during the summer? Any suggestions?

milemarker0 Jul 6th, 2004 07:49 AM

Parking can be a problem, but there is a parking garage at the visitor's center that gives you a discount if you use the trolley's around town. I think you can park there for $2 or $3 if you use them.

Otherwise there are meters and private lots that fill up early or are around $10-$15 a day.

MFNYC Jul 6th, 2004 08:20 AM

There are tournaments at the tennis hall of fame during the summer. If the teens are interested in tennis, it's worth a visit, see www.tennisfame.com.

bigtyke Jul 8th, 2004 03:46 PM

I agree with the parking at the visitor center. We parked in one of the beach pakeing lots for $6 per day (went up to $8 later in the day)

The CLiff walk is very pleasant. Breakers is just off it so you could walk the cliff to the mansion. Breakers is very impressive - it is believed to have cost $3-5 million - equal to about 6 billion in today's dollars!!

LindaAlbery Jul 15th, 2004 06:39 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. We failed to plan early so hopefully, we will get in on some nice options when we arrive next weekend.