Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One Day In Maui--Road to Hana, How Long Does It Take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 06:12 AM
Lynn

We wil be taking a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in October. We'll spend days in various ports, but will have one day in Maui. I've read a lot about the Road to Hana on this forum. I'm not sure if the cruise line will offer and excursion here or not, but is this an undertaking we could do on our own? How long does it take? We'll be in Maui approximately from 7 AM to 6PM, but have to allow for time getting on and off the ship. Thanks.

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 06:37 AM
Bart

Yes you can do the road to Hana in the one day. There is a spot near the airport to rent a cassette player that guides you throughout the trip. Make sure you rent it or you may miss some great sites. Get an early start and stop at Mama's Fish House on the way back for a late lunch.
It's too bad you only have 1 day.
Enjoy

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 07:58 AM
Sarah

Well before you waste a day going to Hana read up on the other things to do. It is a LONG ride and I personally would rather bike down the volcano, Haleahkella (Spelling?) and take an hour surfing lesson finishing up with a burger at the awesome restaurant "Cheese Burger in Paradise" in Lahaina. Okay the Road to Hana is beautiful but, in my opinion, not necessary if you only have one day. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE THE ROAD TO HANA... the seven sacred spring don't exist. There are some pools but no scared springs so if that's what you're going for you'll be disappointed.
-Sarah

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 10:51 AM
Neal Sanders

Does the cruise ship dock in Lahaina or Kahului? That may well settle the question. If it docks in Lahaina, then securing a rental car and getting to the east side of Kahului (25 miles, but on two-lane roads through rush hour traffic) may take until 9:30 a.m. or later, making your trip to Hana a pell-mell dash that leaves little time for enjoyment. If the ship comes into Kahului, and if renting a car at the port is feasible, then you've got a reasonable idea on your hands. Traffic over the twisting part of the Hana highway moves about 10 mph during the day, and most people make stops along the way, so three to three and a half hours each way is about right given the time you're leaving. The alternative is to take the road up to Haleakala, about 10,000 feet above sea level, and have a look around there (per the above posting, I believe the only organized bike tours down the mountain are at dawn, but it may vary by time of year). That cruise to Tahiti sounds nice!

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 03:53 PM
Lynn

Thanks all. And yes, Neal, we will be docking in Lahaina, so from what you stated, the trip to Hana sounds even more difficult. We have seen video of the excursion of the bicycle ride near the volcano and that might be our excursion choice while on Maui. Yes, it's unfortunate we only have one day in Maui, but we going to see a lot of beauty on this trip as we begin the cruise in Tahiti where we have one overnight on the ship and cruise to Moorea, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, Kauai, Maui, Hawaii and Oahu.

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Debbie

Neal is right; getting to Hana and back from Lahaina is not comfortably feasible. Rent a car and head toward Napili Beach or spend the day in Lahaina, see the movie Hawaii (not Mitchner's version) at the domed theater in downtown Lahanina, and stop by the Museum - well worth the hour it takes to learn about whales and that area of the world!

Before you die, go back to Maui and go to Hana - and beyond to where Charles Linbergh is buried; one of the most beautiful places this world traveler has ever seen.

Aloha!

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 12:21 AM
Becky

I cast my vote with those who say No Way Hana in One Day. I did it and regretted it. It's a long, grueling round trip for only one day--despite the beauty. And the "seven pools" had way more people per square inch around them than I saw at Waikiki. If you weren't going to those other incredible places, I'd say just drive up to Iao Valley from Lahaina and you can see lovely, lush scenery there. But I am sure you will be seeing really spectacular stuff later in your cruise. Also agree, head up North if you want a nearby beach--we loved DT Fleming Park, north of Kapalua. Lahaina is great if you are interested in the missionary history of the Islands. But if you go during the summer, expect shoulder to shoulder crowds.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 12:22 AM
Becky

I cast my vote with those who say No Way Hana in One Day. I did it and regretted it. It's a long, grueling round trip for only one day--despite the beauty. And the "seven pools" had way more people per square inch around them than I saw at Waikiki. If you weren't going to those other incredible places, I'd say just drive up to Iao Valley from Lahaina and you can see lovely, lush scenery there. But I am sure you will be seeing really spectacular stuff later in your cruise. Also agree, head up North if you want a nearby beach--we loved DT Fleming Park, north of Kapalua. Lahaina is great if you are interested in the missionary history of the Islands. But if you go during the summer, expect shoulder to shoulder crowds.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 02:04 PM
kam

I agree---NO HANA--especially if your boat docks at Lahaina. I think you'll have to drive up Haleakala because the bike tours leave in time for sunrise, but all is not lost because I didn;t exactly love the braking trip downhill---got very tired and dirty. Consider a snorkeling trip over to Molokini Island---beautiful fish and clear blue water. Lahaina has some good restaurants--as noted above--breakfast or dessert at Longhi's is stilll really a treat. Too bad it's just one day--that's the trouble with cruises--you're captive! Have fun.