Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One Day in LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-day-in-la-317723/)

jacq Mar 6th, 2008 08:59 AM

One Day in LA

My 11 year old daughter and I will be in Palm Springs for Easter break, flying out of LAX on Friday March 21 at 10pm so we thought we would get to LA early in the day and spend the day before we leave. We have never been. Our thoughts after much research on this site is to lunch at Ivy around noon, do some shopping on Robertson after, then get in the car and head up to Hollywood and Highland for some sightseeing. Then take Sunset out to Malibu for dinner at Dukes and some more sightseeing before driving to LAX to return our car and go home. Is this do-able on a Friday with all the traffic. Is it worth it? Should we change any part of the itinerary?

happytrailstoyou Mar 6th, 2008 09:06 AM

Dinner at Duke's may be one thing to many.

jacq Mar 6th, 2008 09:10 AM

would we be better off ditching the hollywood and highland sightseeing so we can do the late afternoon in malibu?

gigib Mar 6th, 2008 09:33 AM

Perhaps. It depends on whether you would rather see Hollywood or Malibu.

The chances of seeing a celebrity may actually be greater in Malibu. There is a shopping center called Cross Creek that is interesting, plus a Ralphs supermarket just up the highway from there where famous people actually do their own shopping.

The Malibu hills are green and beautiful right now, but much of the actual beach front is taken up by homes.

From Malibu, it is an easy drive back down to LAX, the Friday afternoon traffic going that way shouldn't be too bad.

Beware of traffic on Sunset from the Hollywood area heading to the beach. From 4 p.m. or so it can get VERY heavy as you cross the 405 freeway in West L.A.

lvk Mar 6th, 2008 10:39 AM

I, too, think you should choose between Hollywood and Malibu, or you will be sitting in terrible traffic all day (this, after the 2 hour drive in from the desert).

I tried a similar route with visitors on a Friday, and it was really miserable. It took us 2 hours just to get from Hollywood and Highland to PCH (driving on Sunset)

If you decide on Malibu, David Geffen just opened a new restaurant in the Malibu Beach Inn, called the Carbon Beach Club. www.malibubeachinn.com/dining/index.cfm

Enjoy!

jacq Mar 7th, 2008 03:45 AM

She's going to Orlando Disney in June, so I don't feel bad that she's missing it in CA. Plus, I'm not much for going on rides and all that, so it wouldn't be as much fun for her to do it all by herself anyway.... Thanks for the map and tips. I think I'm more confused than ever With only one day to spend, what should we do? We're not all that interested in celebrity watching or touristy stuff as much as just getting a fun, Los Angeles experience. People watching, shopping, eating... a few touristy things are okay, but not the whole day of it. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks so much for all your help!

lvk Mar 7th, 2008 05:50 AM

After your lunch and shopping on Robertson, you could head straight to the beach, rent bikes and ride along the beach, stopping to watch the surfers, volleyball players, hang gliders, etc. There are also shops and restaurants along the way.
www.scc.ca.gov/Wheel/lapage/2_smb/bike.html

I would suggest doing this from Manhattan Beach, so you are close to LAX to return your car. You could have dinner in downtown MB before heading to LAX.
www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com

You could also do this from Venice or Santa Monica.

It would be much better than spending a day fighting Friday LA traffic. :)

thepeters Mar 7th, 2008 06:01 AM

You say she's going to WDW in Orlando at some point -- but Disneyland is very different, and I think that it would be worthwhile.

You say you're not a "ride" person, but c'mon...it's DISNEYLAND! :-D

jacq Mar 7th, 2008 06:18 AM

ivk, very nice suggestion. My husband also suggested Santa Monica. He's been to LA many times and said we should go to SM if we can. Might just be the best way to say goodbye to the west coast on our last day! Lunch and shopping on Robertson, then hop on 10W? Any particular times to avoid? Should we get on the road before 4? Where can we watch the sunset in Santa Monica? Dinner suggestions? If we fly out of LAX at 10pm, what time should we get on the road?

lvk Mar 7th, 2008 07:42 AM

I'm with you jacq, tolerating Disney parks twice in 3 months would not be fun for me, either. (and I love the rides!) Not to mention the Friday night traffic coming up to LAX from Anaheim!

You could either take the 10 west, or Pico Blvd. I'm not a Santa Monica expert, you might want to start another post asking about SM restaurants. The place that used to be called "Toppers" on the top floor of the Huntley Hotel is now called "The Penthouse". It has great views, but it looks a little stuffy -- maybe not so fun for an 11 year old.

Unfortunately, you need to leave yourself about 3 hours to return your rental, catch the shuttle back to LAX, check in for your flight and clear security. The security lines at LAX, both the TSA checked baggage lines and the metal detector lines, can be really ridiculous, especially on a holiday weekend.

mlgb Mar 7th, 2008 08:42 AM

I would not go out to Malibu at the end of the day before your flight because of the horrendous Westside traffic. If you'd like to have a little beach time around Sunset, Manhattan or Hermosa Beach has a nice promenade and you'd be much closer to LAX.