Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   One day in Key West,should I take the plane to Dry Tortugas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/one-day-in-key-west-should-i-take-the-plane-to-dry-tortugas-319093/)

kathyva Mar 8th, 2008 08:04 AM

One day in Key West,should I take the plane to Dry Tortugas?

We'll be in the Keys for a week: 4 nights just south of Key Largo, 2 nights in Big Pine Key, and one night in Key West. Too late, I might have done this a little different but we are mostly interested in snorkeling, kayaking etc. Anyway, I think we might "bag" the local Key West scene and take the half day airplane ride to Dry Tortugas. Has anyone take this plane ride; how was it? How good is the snorkeling there?

WannabeinaMontserrat Mar 8th, 2008 04:02 PM

What are you going to do in Big Pine Key ? There is nothing there except the No Name Pub. If you've never been to Key West, it seems a bit of a waste to not even spend the day there, at the very least you'll get a feel as to whether or not it is someplace worth returning to.

GBC Mar 8th, 2008 06:03 PM

I've taken the high speed boat to the Dry Tortugas. I've seen the planes. I guess you know that it is a small pontoon plane. If the weather is great I imagine that the plane trip would be great too.

There is some snorkeling in the Tortugas. There are some limited but interesting areas to explore near the beach. It is better farther out where there was a marked area when I was there. This is good for coral and for marine life but you will need to be a pretty good swimmer. It is about two hundred yards off the beach in water that is around fifteen feet deep.

Are you going to Big Pine to fish?

kathyva Mar 8th, 2008 07:30 PM

We're staying in Big Pine Key to be closer to Bahia Honda State Park and Looe Key Reef. Primarily, we're interested in snorkeling and kayaking, hanging out in nature, birding etc but not fishing.

As for Dry Tortugas, The plane trip sounds really fun but it's a gamble about good weather. I've snorkeled way out before but don't know if it was two hundred yards. I was also interested in the spring bird migration out there. If we did this trip we'd be gone from 2 to 6pm. Thanks for any and all advice!

GBC Mar 9th, 2008 09:28 AM

Hi again,
I don't want to mislead you about how far out the snorkel area is at Dry Tortugas. I was thinking of two football fields but it is probably less than that - say between one and two. More important will be how calm that water is. It sounds as if you're very active. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. We wanted to fly down but there were four of us so the cost discouraged us. Enjoy the Keys.

kathyva Mar 9th, 2008 11:13 AM

Thanks for your response! I suppose I could wait and see how water conditions are by calling that day, and then make a decision. Anyone know how booked up the seaplanes get in mid April?

SusanCS Mar 9th, 2008 05:23 PM

I'm wildly partial to Key West and suggest that you stay in Key Largo 1 or 2 days at most. All the keys have good snorkel/dive opportunities, and Key Largo is probably the best. Having said that, it doesn't have much else to offer.

People who take the seaplane to Dry Tortugas absolutely LOVE it, but if you're only in Key West for one day, I'd suggest you enjoy the island, and not spend the whole time away from it.

If you want a true, natural experience in Key West, try dangercharters.com. It's not "dangerous" and is very ecological-friendly.

kathyva Mar 9th, 2008 06:42 PM

Thanks so much for your advice. I've heard this enough now about Key Largo, that I'll see what I can do to juggle some reservations so we only spend a couple of nights in Key Largo. If we spend at least two nights in Key West then we can do the plane trip to Dry Tortugas.

Peter_krynicki Mar 10th, 2008 06:24 AM

The trip to the Tortugas by seaplane is a great trip, but not for one day in Key West and not the 1/2 day trip as there isn't enough time to enjoy the island. There's two good places to snorkel, one off the beach clock-wise around from where the plane lets you off and another around the old pilings.

For a better trip for 1/2 day in Key West, go out with Danger Charters on their snorkel and kayak 1/2 day trip. It leaves a little later in the morning and gets back sooner, and costs much less than the seaplane.

http://www.dangercharters.com/

Pjk

Peter_krynicki Mar 10th, 2008 06:31 AM

I'm nor sure if tis will work...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/MemberPho...554-w4#1089884

Pjk

kathyva Mar 10th, 2008 09:44 AM

Wow, your photos are wonderful, thanks! I changed our reservations so we'll have two days/nights in Key West. Still thinking about that plane trip... which would leave 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs on the island. I don't think I could take much more sun than that. And the later afternoon trip would be easier. Are you saying that this snorkle/kayak trip with Danger Charters is a lot better snorkeling than on Dry Tortugas?

Peter_krynicki Mar 10th, 2008 10:02 AM

IMO any of the snorkel trips to the reef are better than the snorkeling at the Dry Tortugas.

You can do it quicker, but I think you need three loops around the fort to enjoy it; Once around the inside to learn about its history and construction, once around the top of the walls just to see the views in every direction, then once around on the moat that surrounds the island. And a visit to the gift shop.

Then you can snorkel around the pilings, which isn't too bad, and once off the beach, but I found just swimming off the beach with a mask to be fun.

If you have a full day IMO the Danger or Sebago Island T'Ing are better deals. Both board at approx 9:30 and serve brekfast as you leave Keyt West. They stop to snorkel then while everyone is drying off, they make a great lunch. After this they sail to a mangrove island and kayak around it.

It's nice because you are with a bunch of people, but Sebago, on a bigger catamaran, limits its trip to 40 people. And Danger, on the smaller sailing ship, limits to 20 people.

Sebago only goes out 3 times / week so that make help make a decision. FWIW I do both of these every trip. And if you do a half day flight to the Tortugas, the 8:00 a.m. one fills up most quickly.

Pjk

Bigdawg108 Mar 13th, 2008 06:33 PM

My wife and I have been on both the Danger tour and the flight to Fort Jefferson. Both are great trips! My thoughts are this since you have expanded your trip to two days. The snorkeling is great at Ft. Jefferson, as is the historical tour that is given. We loved the flight because of the scenery and the speed that you arrive there. We have also taken the "fast cats" and have had more time to snorkel. The water is great and much less crowded then most snorkeling trips.

As far as the danger goes, it was also wonderful. The kayaking was very nice. We saw sand sharks while we were there. Also, we had time to snorkeling and the guides/crew were very helpful.

You are not going to go wrong with any of the trips. Enjoy your trip, friends!

kathyva Mar 14th, 2008 12:54 PM

Thanks, everyone! Key West is planned after four days of snorkeling/kayaking in Key Largo and Big Pine Key. We're going to wait and see how we feel at the end of our trip (and how sunburned we are). The plane trip to the Dry Tortugas sounds awesome, but also a bit hurried. Too bad this charter doesn't give one more hour on the island.

Also, I'm interested in checking out Fort Zachary Taylor State Park right on Key West. I read there can be some fun snorkeling there. Has anyone snorkeled or swam there? Also, there is going to be a Conch Independence celebration at Fort Zachary on April 18. Sounds like fun.

Peter_krynicki Mar 15th, 2008 06:05 AM

I've never snorkeled at Ft Zach but the majority of opinion is that the conditions are not good - rocky bottom so you generally need something on your feet, and very little to actually see there.

IMO if you can manage it, be on the water for Conch Independance Day for the water fights.

Pjk

kathyva Mar 15th, 2008 07:42 AM

Water fights? Sounds like fun! Tell me more! And how can I find a way to be on the water, any ideas?

Peter_krynicki Mar 15th, 2008 08:57 AM

Book, in advance! one of the boats that would normally go out on a snorkel or sunset sail - the Jolly II Rover if you can, but any of the Sebago, Fury, or Floridays. If they are still allowed, even the Coast guard gets involved. It has to be on the exact day of Independance.

Pjk

kathyva Mar 15th, 2008 09:50 AM

Thanks, I found the celebration website and it looks like we'll miss "the battle" by one week. Looks like it will take place on Friday, April 25. Thanks for the info anyway. Very appreciated! We'll show up for the opening fun on April 18 at Fort Zachary.

zeealwave Mar 20th, 2008 06:50 AM

YES!! take the plane ride even if only for the view of the water from the low-flying plane. We did this a couple of years ago and loved it. Fort Jefferson is interesting. Take money and water with you. There is a gift/book shop there. Usually they leave you there for a few hours and come and pick you up when leaving the next group. It is worth it.

kathyva Mar 20th, 2008 05:20 PM

Thanks, I'm still considering it!