Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Omigod, did anyone else try to make their online ferry reservations today? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/omigod-did-anyone-else-try-to-make-their-online-ferry-reservations-today-153595/)

nina Feb 1st, 2002 11:06 AM

Omigod, did anyone else try to make their online ferry reservations today?

Whew! If you are a regular user of the Steamship Authority you were allowed to make online car reservations for the ferry to Nantucket and MV starting today at 8:00 am. I was at this computer, in my p.j.s, coffee in hand, fingers poised at the keyboard. When my husband said goodbye to me I jokingly told him I might be in the very same spot when he returned tonight. <BR><BR>It is now 3:04 pm. I just got through to make the reservation! *&^%$#@ Steamship Authority! I need a drink, it's a good thing Nantucket is worth it!!!!!!

c Feb 1st, 2002 11:09 AM

Aahh nina, just think of sitting on that ferry with the wind blowing and the sun shining and MV waiting for you:)<BR>Do you take any pets with you? Last time we were there, the ticks were pretty bad..and I now have a large dog to contend with.

nina Feb 1st, 2002 11:13 AM

No c, we haven't taken any pets, but this year will be the first. After our March vacation I promised the boys we would finally get a dog, so we're going to be looking for a yellow lab or golden retriever. If you'll excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom and get something to eat!

Leone Feb 1st, 2002 11:20 AM

Ferry to Nantucket ... did you say ferry? You mean I didn't have to take that Continental commuter stand-by outta Newark? Good Godfrey Daniel, I was the only one with dramamine. Floyd was passing through. We're sitting on the runway, time is passing ... we're waiting to take off. An elderly lady next to me, snooozing, looks over and asks if we've just landed. God, lady, gimme some of what you took, and be quick about it. Just amazing. Ferry? Wowwee. Ciao

joe Feb 1st, 2002 11:23 AM

Hey Nina - did everything come out ok?

nina Feb 1st, 2002 11:24 AM

Yes, ferry Leone. If you want to take a car then you have to go by ferry. I've taken the little 8 seater flights when I didn't have as much baggage and while fast, you need a strong stomach. It always bothers me when they ask your weight so they can balance the plane properly!

c Feb 1st, 2002 11:25 AM

Leone- you are sooo goofy~<BR>yes it is a big white ferry for cars and everything! And you sit/stand up front and the wind is blowing and there is this little speck and it turns into Martha's Vineyard! then you start to see all those great old Victorian houses along the shore...summertime~<BR>Now I have my pooch-who by the way is at the sitters because we are going upstate this weekend and he is not welcome at the Inn-and I have to consider him when staying anywhere for summer holidays..thus the house hunting upstate this weekend~How are things in your part of the world,L? Cold and rain here, good day to stay in and be warm and dry and chat..Candice

xxx Feb 1st, 2002 11:47 AM

Wow, Nina--you've been sitting at your computer in your p.j.'s since 8 a.m.? You must smell pretty bad by now! So stop stinking up this board with such a ridiculous post! Go take a shower, OK? I can smell you all the way down here in Maryland!<BR>

L Feb 1st, 2002 12:15 PM

Ah, Candice ... one of my alltime (all-time - I'm never sure!) favorites. And Nina there too. Good chaps!! Just one issue with Nantucket: I purchased that pinkish-orange tee (someone said it's the official color of Nantucket ... the thing with those strange three airport code letters, you know the one). I threw it in the wash ... yow, Orange City! I never thought about taking a car on the plane, so naturally they never had an opportunity to steer me to the ferry ... which body of water is Newark on, BTW? I've never understoood NJ, but I know if you ask somebody where they live in NJ, they'll always give you an exit. Anyway, heading upstate, are you. You know, it's balmy here in DC today - and we're still jumping over W's speech Tuesday (he's getting better, I think). If it were me, wow, I'd have to stay in NYC this weekend and find a tango club. Okay, you take care, travel safe, and be happy, and we'll catch you on the upswing. You know what might go with that drive ... some Erroll Garner and Autumn Leaves, or perhaps a bit of Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond, cool on Blue Rhondo a la Turk! Ciao from your nation's capitol. L

Susan Feb 1st, 2002 12:21 PM

Getting better at what, L? You're saying he's inhabiting the sheep's costume more convincingly? Hey, I don't intend to start a political debate here .... you brought it up ;-)

J T Kirk Feb 1st, 2002 12:25 PM

I feel as though I just stepped into a John Cheever novel.

c Feb 1st, 2002 12:25 PM

Ahh,L, my dear..Newark to me is one big scary traffic jam where if you miss the exit to the airport you are doomed like something in Twilight Zone. <BR>And nina, I often sit here for hours in my pj's with absolutely no excuse but laziness and I Like it~~and I love to mention it to my friend who works for attnys and wishes she were sitting around in her pjs also...there were plenty of days when I couldnt sit around in them,so we must all take advantage of those days when we can!<BR>Anyway-NY is fine,but the "woods" are calling to me..I want to go to bed when it is so dark outside that you cannot see a thing!(which is already worrying my city boy husband.."how will we find our way back at night?") and letting the dog out for a run without a leash..not having a neighbor within shouting distance..never dressing up more than a pair of clean jeans..sitting on the grass and listening to a concert at Tanglewood,having friends stay the weekend and having a big bbq,and everybody helping..it seems like it has been a long winter already,doesnt it? Are you imagining your perfect summer yet?

L Feb 1st, 2002 12:51 PM

Business before pleasure: Susan, his speechwriter is almost eloquent at times. Well, Candice/C, take the longjohns with you and enjoy those woods - I hear them calling to me too ("roll up that window, lock that door"). But your vision is a good one, and your words encourage me to think of summer and ... oh, no, another week with all 17 of them in that NC beach town. Local chinese take out. Leftover night. Constant trips to the Food Lion. Searching for teens in Myrtle Beach. Ah, the magic of summer. Where's the stupid groundhog - Pete, if you're listening, shadow, guy, see it? Do have a wonderful time heading back to nature. I did camp and that was enough. I'll work on that perfect summer, maybe. Take care. Ciao

Howard Feb 1st, 2002 01:14 PM

Dare I ask.....why even bother to take a car to Nantucket? Park it at Wood's Hole or wherever and leave it for the length of your stay before taking the ferry. Rent a couple bikes when you get there. That's the way to do Nantucket!

T Feb 1st, 2002 01:23 PM

TTT

nina Feb 1st, 2002 01:31 PM

xxx, Obviously you've never tried to get a ferry reservation for ACK or you'd realize that a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to get them, even if it means staying in one's jammies all day!<BR><BR>Howard, this is our 17th summer renting houses in Nantucket and we stay for a few weeks. With 2 kids, boogie boards, bikes, roller blades, bats, baseballs, skateboards, rafts, wine, food, clothes, etc., etc., and the desire to not take our bikes into town on unlit roads at night, a car is necessary. Also it's rather difficult to go grocery shopping for a family of 4 on a bicycle! Now if it were my husband and I, staying in town at an inn for a long weekend I wouldn't take the car.<BR><BR>Leone, the color is "nantucket red" and is supposed to run! When you first buy the clothing it will be dark red, fading quickly to a pale, pinkish red. Wash it alone for the first 10 or so times, but now you know that.<BR><BR>Have a great weekend all!

c Feb 1st, 2002 01:43 PM

I remember the first time we went to MV, took tents and thought it would be fun to take the little ones camping..then after that, we stayed in a guest house,where you had to take the little ones up the stairs and down the hall to the bathroom.Then there was news that Hurrican Whoever was on its way...we got the hell outta there! Actually, I have never been so happy to have a hurricane...camping is not the life for me.But a nice house on the Hudson with a view,a lake,woods, no neighbors...that sounds like heaven.Especially since it is only 2 hrs from home. And anyway-the dog needs a break in the summer!<BR>PS&gt;Leone, I grew up in NC, and I know about those huge houses on the beach with nothing but visitors all summer,groceries,dishes , yuck...

L Feb 1st, 2002 01:52 PM

Yes, c, Sunset Beach - we rent two, there are so many. Mercifully only one week. This year, I'm escaping south to Savannah for a few of those days. Probably hit some of the transsexual clubs and have a decent meal. If Lady Chablis is in town, not Atlanta. Something wholesome. Yes, a house on the Hudson, no tents. Sounds great. Have a great time. Ciao

L Feb 1st, 2002 02:00 PM

C, from NC - did you ever run into any Duke Betas? And upstate, if you get the movie urge, In The Bedroom ... interesting. Ciao

c Feb 1st, 2002 02:53 PM

L, my cinema fare lately has been running to silly/scarey/thriller..but something about In the Bedroom just does not appeal to me.Perhaps because I have a (young-man) son and I would "relate" too much~but-I did enjoy the new Count of Monte Cristo and managed to be the only one in our group that enjoyed GOsford Park:)<BR>Maybe I am practicing being an old fa*t~I hear it takes years of practice.