Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Omemoneygirls Short San Fraincisco Trip Report

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived in California all my life and have been to San Francisco countless times... not to do to
touristy things (for example... I've yet to tour Alcatraz) but just to do fun things like shop, Giants games, museum exibits... that sort of thing.

Work called me to the city and I was determined to do a few things I hand't tried before. So here goes!!

I flew in on wednesday afternoon and taxied to my hotel... it was $35.00 from the airport to the Serrano Hotel on Taylor Street.

I am staying at this hotel because my meetings were being held in the hotel and I wasn't interested in swithing hotels. It is clean, comfortable and very reasonable at $127.00 plus tax per night.

(That being said, I would not choose this location again. It's fine duing the day to walk but I would not feel safe at night on my own.) Next time I would priceline USE and take my chances to be a bit closer.. or stay up in Cow Hollow closer to the shops on Union Street.

My meeting reception was held in Ponzu,the restaurant at the hotel and the food was just so-so.

On Thursday morning, I had an appointment in the historic Flood Building at 870 Market Street. If you haven't been before, I should mention that this is one of the only buildings that survived the 1906 fire and it is beautiful. You can enter on Ellis Street or on Market and the main lobby has several historical artifacts and many photos of the building before and after the earthquake/fire. The building has been renovated and in celebration of it's 100th birthday in 2003, there was a 15 minute video made which you can view for free in the lobby.

I greatly enjoyed each of the small exibits... truly a testament to what hard work and a little ingenuity can do! The stories of the Flood and Fair families and how they made their fortunes in the early days of California is facinating to me.

At 6:00 sharp Easytraveler picked me up and off we went to The Koi palace in Daly City for the most amazing dinner! ( Easytraveler.. how can I ever thank you? I WILL thank you with that wine tasting tour we spoke of... let me know when your group is coming!!)

This restaurant was incredible. Easytraveler ordered for us and the food and wine just kept coming!! My favorites were some spiced peanuts with anchovies and the pork mini-pot stickers. several duck dishes were very tasty and the steamed fish were exquisite.

After dinner we went into the City to the Marriott on 4th street and up to the 39th floor to the bar with beautiful views of the city. We smartly ordered coffee, because we'd already each had about a bottle of wine and enjoyed the view and wonderful conversation.

Friday evening my friend and I walked to Perbacco on California Street. This restaurant was great..I highly recommend it! We shared scallop ceviche as an appetizer and greatly enjoyed it..both said we could have ordered more and had that for our entree! I hadshrimp risotto... my favorite comfort and my companion greatly enjoyed his rabbit meatball, tenderloin and the drumstick! The BEST part of the entire menu was the cheese we ordered as dessert. Some kind of hard goat cheese with truffles... it was amazing. Go there.. try it and order it.

On Saturday we walked to North Beach.. had breakfast at Caffe De Lucchi on Green and Columbus. My eggs and bacon were perfect, great orange juice and the breakfast potatoes were the best I've ever tasted. You can sit outside but we didn't because it was too hot!

To be continued....

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Fun! I have been to Koi Palace and truly enjoy going there for Dim Sum....but I have never thought of going into the city afterwards. I guess it really is only a few minutes away. Thanks for the rec of Perbacco. Haven't tried it and will do so asap!

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM

hi, onemoneygirl!

First off, congratulations on a great success on the business end of your trip!

We had a great time and we talked so much!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Koi Palace, even when they brought out the fish with head and all, you didn't blink an eye! Very courageous!

I figured that you'd find your own way around Italian and French restaurants and you did! Perbacco was a terrific choice!

Yes, we'll absolutely take you up on your kind offer to arrange a Central Coast wine tour!

Looking forward to the rest of your report! More please!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM

I ordered up the fantastic weather just for your trip. When we dined a Yoshi's on Sat night, it was still in the 70s when we finished dinner.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Stu, we dined at Yoshi's Saturday night, too. We went to the 8:00 show and had dinner about 9:30-9:45. How about you?
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Stu, forgot to say, I'm sf7307 fka dmlove. (sorry, onemoneygirl, for the hijack).
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM

We didn't go to the show - just dinner at 8

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

eAfter breakfast.. we enjoyed walking down to get ferry tickets for the ride to Sausalito.

Had to stop at the GAP to buy tank tops for me because I was ROASTING!! The day was hot and crystal clear... the views were incredible. It was so warm that no jacket or sweater was required for the ferry trip... even on the way back as the sun set.

We were VERY tempted to check to see if Inn Above Tide had a room for the night and just return in the morning by ferry..but decided to go back and do a return trip just to Sausalito. Great place to sit with a glass of wine and people watch! The ride home on the ferry was very crowded with happy people enjoying the beautiful day.

I did want to purchase a bread alligator at the Boudin Shop but apparently they run out of those early in the morning... never did make it back. My boys would have loved it!

We taxied back to the hotel and ended up at an Irish Pub...maybe on Geary Street for dinner. I will have to look for the name... "something" and sons...lol!!

I had a great week and was going to "celebrate" a little that night... in fact I had informed my friend that I was goin to be the designated drinker that night... but by about 9:00 PM I was ready to head back to the hotel. onemoneygirl is NOT a partygirl.... apparently...

to be continued...

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Kal

Most excellent..all that AND easyT too!
No linomcello???

Perbacco salumi plate....and double ditto on the cheese plate for dessert!

As for Yoshi's...if anyone goes again, have dinner a few doors down at 1300 on Fillmore.
Pretty darn good.

As for being a bit warm in SF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXmW...eature=related
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I will have to try 1300 on Fillmore, but I have to say, we LOVED our dinner at Yoshi's - the room is great looking, the service nice and the food delicious! Not too expensive either - we shared 5 plates and 2 desserts, and 2 Saki flights, among 4 people. The total bill, all in, was about $160.00.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Kal

Make you a deal...I'll try Yoshi's and you try 1300??

http://www.1300fillmore.com/
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Okay... it was Foley and Sons.. great potato cheddar soup with scallions and garlic and the fish and chips was good too. Truthfully, I was too tired to pay much attention..lol.

Sunday morning we checked out at noon and tried to set out to try Mama's at Washington Square for breakfast... the wait was over an hour so we walked up the street just a block to Green and Union and had lunch at a small cafe... Cafe Divine. The ham and cheese quiche was wonderful and my friend raved about his mushroom/fontina cheese pizza. We were glad that we were too late for breakfast!

I think a big part of the fun in SF is to "find" places that look good... we sure had good luck that way. The only planned meal was Perbacco... where the service was excellent. I forgot to mention earlier that we sat upstairs and were very happy we weren't downstairs where it was quite noisy... that's fun too... but not what we had in mind. If you're going there for the first time... decide where you want to be and choose accordingly.

We were supposed to meet friends at the Cliff House but their luggage was delayed at San Jose'Airport so we went to "Plan B" and met at Santana Row... some italian restaurant... and booked our room at Hotel Valencia for the night in december that we're flying out of SJC early in the am to go to Portland.

It was a wonderful trip in a wonderful city... thanks for all of the great recommendations!

Kal... great link!

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Kal

Perbacco's can get loud at times.
But as you found out upstairs is a bit quieter.
The service was getting a bad rap but Mrs Kal's been there 3x and me 2x and never had a prob.

As for 1300, great fried chicken.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm putting 1300 on my list for my next visit! LOVE good fried chicken! Are there biscuits too?

I had planned to complete my Christmas shopping over the weekend and it was SO HOT that I accomplished nothing. I just couldn't bring myself to go into the stores and look at sweaters and holiday things!

Each time I go to The City I find myself saying I should make the effort to go more often....so I may have to sneak back before the holiday.