Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Omaha visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/omaha-visit-422298/)

sdkch76 Apr 14th, 2004 11:47 AM

Omaha visit

Two friends and I are visiting Omaha during the Berkshire Hathaway weekend (May 1) when the city is crowded. Any suggestions from locals on where to eat and what to see would be greatly appreciated. We will have a car and are a bit familiar with the area. Thanks.

klg42 Apr 14th, 2004 02:01 PM

As for places to eat, you could probably find some in the Old Market area, which is within walking distance from the Qwest Center (where the Berkshire events take place). I don't eat out in Omaha much so I'll leave other restaurant suggestions for others.
As for what to see, the best bet is the Henry Doorly Zoo, which is annual ranked as among the best in the country. Plus, they just opened up a new gorilla facility a week or two ago, to go along with their indoor desert area, indoor rain forest, and many, many, other things. Since you have a car, you could also go to the Strategic Air Command Museum, which is about a 30 minute drive west on Interstate 80.

indytravel Apr 14th, 2004 02:17 PM

If the city is busy then the Old Market will be packed. Too bad I like Delice for lunch, V Mertz, M's Pub, Indian Oven, Passport, and Vivaci for Italian in that area.

The Flat Iron Grill is a find dining restaurant with excellent food that's a little west of the downtown. Since it's close to the Sheraton Aquila Court it'll probably be busy. I like the triangular shaped dining room with all the windows.

Another restaurant I really like is Jams at 7800 Dodge. It's American cuisine with entrees from $15 to $25. The salads are huge. Last month 5 of us split one and had a decently sized salad so we could each have an entree and finish by splitting 2 desserts.

Northwest of downtown a mile or so is Mr. C's. The food is good, not stellar. It's an Italian steak house. Pasta dishes, lasagna, filet mignon with a side of spaghetti. What I like about it is the over-the-top décor. The garden filled with Grecian urns, lots of Christmas tree lights up year 'round and a display case filled with Elvis whiskey decanters that are a superb collection.

I haven't eaten at Bebo's on Birch Drive in ages. It's another fine dining restaurant in the Western 'burbs.

Goldberg's in Dundee has great sandwiches, burgers and onion rings.

Also in Dundee was La Bomba's which is now called (I think) Winston's. I've not eaten there. On the other side of the street from Winston's is another new restaurant that's on the second floor looking on the street. I had a great seared foie gras appetizer and an excellent BLT on olive bread last fall, but the name escapes me.

If you're from the Midwest and remember Godfather's pizza, it's still in Omaha since it's their headquarters.

Recently opened is a Rick's Boatyard. It's in the water front development area a bit east of downtown. It's been a hot spot due to its newness. I wouldn't bother it's a small chain with one in Indianapolis and you can do better.

The Omaha Theater for Young People puts on excellent shows at the Rose downtown. I've seen several shows there and enjoyed them even without kids. The building is beautiful if you can get in during business hours and look around.

The Jocelyn Art museum is worth a look if you like art. The zoo is excellent but usually busy.

If you're into off-beat theater see what the Blue Barn or Shelterbelt theaters are showing.

You need to check, but a couple of years ago the ConAgra Foods headquarters still opened their connecting tunnel system on the first Sunday of the month which would be May 2nd. When ConAgra bought somebody (Swift/Butterball?) many years ago they acquired one of the most extensive collections of Courier & Ives prints in the world. The best-of-the-best are on display in their corridors one day a month for non-employees. ConAgra is across the street from the Old Market area, kinda behind the Embassy Suites.

I don't live in Omaha, but my best friend from 7th grade and his wife moved there in 1991. I claim to spend more time in Omaha than anyone who doesn't live there. :-)

indytravel Apr 14th, 2004 07:10 PM

Oops. I suddenly remembered that it wasn't called La Bomba's in Dundee. It was called Bomba Dias.

Maple Apr 15th, 2004 06:30 AM

Wow! Indy - I am so impressed. Anyone going to/living in Omaha should print this out! This will be a great help for 2004 College World Series fans, too. Thanks for your information.

indytravel Apr 15th, 2004 10:22 AM

You're welcome Maple.

If anyone has more questions please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I can always ask my friends.