Reload this Page >

Old Town Alexandria, VA - Restaurant Suggestions On King Street

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Lynn and John

Hubby and I are planning to visit Washington D.C. and will be staying in Old Town Alexandria. I know King Street is the hotel and restaurant center of the town. We like Italian, Chinese, and Japanese food. Has anyone had a particularly good meal regarding those cuisines? Thanks in advance for any replies

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:31 AM
pete

Some good ones:
Majestic (entrees around $15-$25)
Taverna Kretekou (Greek food, entrees around $20, great outdoor terrace out back with lights etc.)
South Austin Grill (Mexican entrees $10-$15), good atmosphere, margaritas etc.
Ecco Cafe (Italian, about $10-$20 entrees (off King Street))
I don't know of any Chinese or Japanese right in Old Town. For Japanese, I go to Akasaka (in a strip mall in west Alexandria), or Matuba (on Columbia Pike in Arlington), they're both good but not great tourist destinations. There is another Italian restaurant in old town, Il Porto. I haven't eaten there, so don't know if it's good. Try www.washingtonpost.com and search for their dining guide, which will give you reviews for all local restaurants.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:21 AM
tj

There is a Thai restaurant near the bottom of King Street, Thai Old Town, or something like that. I thought it was great, my kids did not, but then they don't like spinach either.

If you want something with a local flavor, The Fish Market is the place to go. Great fish and a real instiution.

My kids AND my parents liked it.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
kam

Two of our favorites are Las Tapas and the Majestic Cafe. First one being Spanish, latter is American, I would say.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:31 PM
Al

IMO, best Italian is Landini Brothers on King Street.

I'd stay away from the Fish Market - very touristy. Best seafood in town is Blue Point Grill (about 6 blocks off King St.). A bit pricey though.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:33 PM
Dee

The Fish Market is touristy, thats the charm!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Stephanie P.

When I use to live a few miles away from Old Towne Alex I remember an Italian restaurant about 1 or 2 blocks from the Potomac River on King Street that was good. It was small but the food was good. If you walk from intersection of Washington and King Street, down toward the water, it should be on your left.

There is also the Gatsy Tavern just a block or two off King Street. If you want some fun in your nightlife, stay on the left and about 3 blocks before the Italian place, still on your left is an Irish Pub, that has entertainment. It is in a small shopping area off King. Maybe others on this thread can give you directions.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:02 AM
pete

The Irish pub the previous poster is talking about was Ireland's Own, and is gone. The only Irish Pub I know of on King now is Murphy's, near South Austin Grill. Also, thought of another restaurant, Union Street (on Union Street, one block south of King). Busy bar & restaurant with good pub type food (burgers, sandwiches, etc.). Fishmarket is very touristy. Blue Point Grill does have best seafood, but is expensive, and about a 7-8 block walk down S. Washington from King Street. There is also a Chart House (part of the chain) right on the water at the bottom of King Street. They have an outdoor bar area, that's fun for drinks & a crabcake sandwich. The restaurant inside is expensive (like all other Chart House restaurants). Outside Old Town (in the Commonwealth/Mt. Vernon Avenue areas--called Delray) is the Evening Star Cafe. Nice bar and small restaurant with good food. Very popular, so it will have a longer wait. By the way, the Majestic is also very popular, so be prepared for a wait.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Ann

I think Stephanie's refering to Ecco, which was mentioned earlier. It's a good place, as it Landini Bros. I also like Geranio (Italian), which is very near Las Tapas.

South Austin Grill is fine for drinks, but the food is very Taco Bell. The Fish Market is a lot of fun, particularly up in the piano bar, but you go there for the atmosphere, not for the food.

Haven't made it to the Majestic yet, but I've heard very good things. Right near there is Cajun Bangkok. Great place, and you can get things like Crawfish Pad Thai.

There is no good Chinese restaurant in Old Town. There's one very bad one at the corner of King and Washington. Avoid.

There's a Japanese steakhouse on the river on the outskirts of Old Town, but it's very Benihana-like, so that may not be what you're looking for.

My favorite OT restaurant is also right on the outskirts. It's called Cafe Marianna. You'd need to ask for directions from your hotel--it's not really walking distance, but it's not very far, either. Wonderful place that I wish I had known about years ago.

Ireland's Own is now Pat Troy's. It's truly horrific. There's never a good reason to go there. The food, music and atmosphere are all very bad.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Stephanie P.

Ann:

In 1984, when it was Ireland's Own, there was a narrative singer there named Kennedy and boy was he a fun entertainer. Unfornunately the place had to close down. I had fun there.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Connie

I know it isn't a restaurant, but check out the Torpedo Factory if it is still there. It is an art "mall" with lots of little shops by different types of artists.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
crys

I live in Old Town, and so am familiar with its restaurants. Forget Chinese here--there are no good Chinese restaurantts in Old Time. There is, however, a wealth of good Thai restaurants as well as a good sampling of otheres. In my book, the key is to get ABOVE Washington St. Many of the restaurants below Washington St. tend to trade more on proximity to the river than on quality. There's a few notable exceptions--Santa Fe East comes to mind as something good on the lower side. But my favorites are the Majestic (theres a reason everyone keeps mentioning it), Le Gaulois, Cajun Thai, Kingfisher, Lite 'N Fare (don't let appearances deceive you---it looks like a dump from the outside but the food is good and inexpensive), and the Hard Times (chili parlor). Also, if you like hamburgers, Five Guys (off King on Fayette) has the best around.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Crystal

I'm from Alexandria! You'll love it! La Portas on King Street has great Italian food. The Fish market is fun and the food is good. You're a tourist, go and do the tourist thing! If you're venturing over the bridge at all into Washington D.C., DC COAST is the restaurant to go to! The food is outstanding (one of the top in the country). It's on the corner of 14th street and K street. Have a great time.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Alex

Il Porto and Landini Brothers are down close to the water and right next to each other. My folks (picky about their Italian food) ate at Il Porto and liked it a lot. Geranio is further up the street, but I don't know much about it.

Forget chinese or japanese - I have yet to find a chinese restaurant and the one Japanese place I found was unremarkable. Several good Thai places though (Old Town Thai and Chintana coem to mind.)

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:31 AM
fred

I live in Old Town and can tell you there are no good restaurants in those three categories. Blue Point Grill is about as good as we have - fresh seafood. The others, no. OT is 99% touristy these days, especially all along King Street. You're better off buying a DC Zagat's and going with those suggestions. OT is fun to walk around in and grab a bite, but nothing serious.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Ann

Crys made some great recommendations (particulary Santa Fe East and Five Guys!), but I'll have to differ on Kingfish. I've only been there once, but I can't imagine going back. Food was very average. Actually, it was below average. Could have had better food at Hard Times for 20% of what we paid.

Il Porto's is NOT the place to go for Italian. They bank on their location, and certainly not their food. Chintana's good for Thai, but be on the lookout for ants on the table. Old Town Thai is okay, but Cajun Bangkok is far better.

Stephanie-Ireland's Own became Pat Troys a few years ago (can't remember exactly when).

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Lynn and John

Thank you very much to those who took the time to reply. We're looking forward to our uppcoming trip and trying some of the suggested restaurants listed here.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:47 PM
karen

For just a nice experience, good people, and a great drink, especially if that drink is Irish COffee, Murphy's Bar (King St.)
219 (King ST) upstairs for Jazz & Creole
La Bergerie (Lee ST.) (if is is till there - great cheese souffle!)
Landini Brothers King St (100 Block) great calamari!
La CCosta de Sol-LasTapas - great tapas bar & restaurant!
South Austin Grill!
Union St. Public House - good choice of local/regional beers & lunch specials
Southside 815 (Near Franklin or near Green St. - I am forgetting) but great ribs and real southern cooking
and if you are from an area that does not provide real donuts - Krispy Kreme's along Rt. 1 south (Alexandria)about 4 - 5 miles out of old town - fresh as the day is long, and less then half the price you would pay in the NYC -Metro area!