Old South - Trip Report: Atlanta, GA

Jul 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Old South - Trip Report: Atlanta, GA

The following is one section of a longer report on our 2-week driving trip from Connecticut covering Richmond VA, Asheville NC, Savannah GA, Atlanta GA, Chattanooga TN, Winston-Salem, NC and Charlottesville, VA. Please click on my name to see other sections of the report.

We arrived in Atlanta at mid-day. Since it was too early to check into our hotel, we headed directly to the Atlanta History Center. This is a first class museum with an excellent chronological history of the Civil War and two interesting homes to tour, the Swan House and the Tullie Smith House. We spent about 4 hours at the History Center and then drove a short distance to the Buckhead Embassy Suites. The restaurant where we had a reservation called me on my cell phone and told me that they would not be open. Since it was the 4th and a Sunday, most restaurants in Buckhead were closed so we opted for room service at the Embassy Suites after taking advantage of their free cocktail hour. At around 8:30 PM we ambled over to Lenox Square for the fireworks. When we arrived there was a band playing so we walked around and listened to the music for a while. At 9:40 PM, the fireworks started, they were fantastic with a grand finale that was the best we had ever seen. We were glad to have been in Atlanta for the 4th.

The next day was the independence day holiday. We spent our first two hours at Zoo Atlanta, enjoying the fairly small zoo's panda and other natural displays. From there were headed to CNN where we had scheduled a tour at noon. The tour was great. I got to read the news off a teleprompter while the others on the tour watched me on a television screen - it is a great tour with lots of tidbits about what happens behind the scenes at CNN and the other Turner news networks. After checking out the fountain at Centennial Olympic Park, we headed for Chattanooga (continued).

Search this Thread