Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

which restaurants do you recommend for a good seafood & steak in Maui? Staying at FS.

which restaurants do you recommend for a good seafood & steak in Maui? Staying at FS.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Maui for 6 nights. We are looking for good seafood & steak restaurants with nice setting, ambience& good service. Some nice view would be good. Please share your thoughts.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Aloha Clear,
Recommend dinner at Humuhumunukunukuapua' next door to 4S in the Grand Wailea Resort. We made a 5:45 sunset dinner reservation for our trip last fall (in October 2003), The Polynesian style huts on a fish pond was an outstanding dining experience for us.

We ordered the combination seafood appetizer which had large fried shrimp, some ahi sushi, lobster pasta, and more served in a yard long oval dish. Thoroughly enjoyed the succulent Kona lobster tails and filet mignon and Tsunami, and my wife liked the macadamia nut crusted dolphinfish. A string duet played and sang at least 1 song at every table, the only one I recognized was Hawaii. The restaurant overlooks fishponds and features a large aquarium with a good variety of colorful reef fish, typical of what one sees snorkeling. The inspiringsunset view reflected radiantly from the horizon to the ocean to the torch-lit fishponds of the restaurant in an endless water effect. Enjoy your stay in Paradise!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JohnD. Anyone else?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM

ttt
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Banyan Tree in Ritz Carlton is a wonderful restaurant. It overlooks the ocean and has these wonderful shutters that can be adjusted to let the wonderful tradewinds in at comfortable levels. The food there was our fav on the island - I got their special 3 nights in a row!

Plantation House in Kapalua is another really good place. It is located high up above the coast and you get lovely panoramic views of the ocean/coast.

David Pauls has terrific food but has a "crowded" sort of feel to it. It also does not have any views. BUT the food there is still worth it!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
bonniebroad

John_D, for heaven's sake, HUSH!

You're making me want to be on Maui SO BAD!

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM

M ahalo bonniebroad,

However I suspect the pot is calling the kettle black, touché.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Very close to the FS is the Kea Lani. Nick's Fishmarket at the Kea Lani was fanstastic. Highly recommend.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Sorento's on the beach. Definitely.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM

I strongly second the Nick's mention. No matter where you go, always call ahead for preferred seating. We went once to HumuHumu and got an interior table away from views and the fish pond and it just wasn't the same as having a table along the outside. It was also very hot and stuffy. Not a big steak place guy...but did eat once at Ruth's Chris with some friends in Wailea. It was good...but typical Ruth's Chris and no view or outdoor seating.

One of my top 5 most memorable meals lifetime (you know the ones, where the food and drink, atmosphere and the people you're with just fall into perfect) was at Pacific O's in Lahina. If I squint real hard.....I can still envision the candlelit beach side table, tropical surf breezes, my bride's sunset eyes with Lanai and Molokai in the background and the best macadamia nut crusted Mahi-Mahi I've ever had to tied me over.

Oh well, back to work.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Sarento's just up the road in Kiheh is what you are looking for. Gorgeous setting overlooking the water. If you need a good lunch place nearby, check out the Maui Onion at the Renaissance Wailea. Nice ocean view and decent food.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM

mmmmm, food is my favorite thing about traveling! Don't know exactly where you're staying, but here are our favorites:

Mama's Fish House (Pa'ia) - simply amazing seafood, fresh & line-caught, nice ambience, make reservations. this place is a must...treat yourself!

Sansei (Kapalua) - great Japanese food and sushi, they had the most delicious butterfish appetizer when we were there. make reservations.

Longhi's (Lahaina) - a well-known restaurant I believe, the quality of food and generous portions made up for the questionable service we had. make reservations.

Beachcomber's Restaurant (Ka'anapali, next to Westin) - half casual dining, half formal dining (make reservations for latter)...we ate here several times in both sections because the menu is great and service fantastic.

enjoy!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:46 AM

When you get to the FS, check out the menu at spago. They had a steak entree that was out of this world, according to my husband the steak lover. We actually ended up eating their twice b/c the food and service was soooo good, not to mention the view - we asked for a table overlooking the water. I got fish each time and my husband got that steak dish and it was fabulous.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
sap

Nick's Fishmarket and Sarento's are exactly what you're looking for.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:29 PM

Sarento's specializes in regional italian food (though it serves a 20 ounce Porterhouse covered in italian spices) and is owned by same folks as Nick's. I'd give Five Palms (next door to Sarento's and recently remodeled) another chance before Sarento's. You may view menus of both Nick's and Sarento's at tri-star-restaurants.com. Mama's is renowned for its seafood and view. No one (save one enthusiastic contributor) has ever heard of the Pupu Lounge. The restaurants at the FS all have very good reputations and meet your criteria.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:33 AM

Well, I have heard of the Pupu Lounge, and even treid it--once. I doubt I'll ever go back there (maybe if everything else is Kihei suddenly went out of business), and I certainly wouldn't send anyone looking for a seafood and steak house there! lol

How about the Waterfont at Maalaea? They are mainly known for their seafood (nine preparations and a huge assortment of daily varieties), but they also have a few local-grown beef selections: surf and turf, a Diane preparation, a filet, tournedoes, ribeye. You have a lovely waterfront, sunset view and the service is superb, but not absurd like found at some of the resort restaurants. (I have no idea why some of these establishments seem to think that hovering equates good service. They should take a lesson from the French, and try to be more invisible to the entire dining experience.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

My best 3 meals (in order) in Maui were:

1. Longhi's
2. Humuhumu's
3. Mama's Fish House

Brunch at the Plantation House was amazing, didn't get there for dinner unfortunately. We also will try David Paul's next time.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:14 AM

Despite the rhetorical flourish of its most enthusiastic devotee, I still am not convinced that the Pupu Lounge is a destination restaurant. Also not convinced there's a need for personal attacks.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM
sap

My goodness, he pretty much makes the case against himself, don't you think? The post positively drips w/spit. Everyone, catch a glimpse while you can 'cause the Fodor sysops should have it put away soon.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Well...the only thing jersey1 has EVER posted about is how great this Pupu place is, so that to me is a little "fishy." You'd think a local would have more to say about other place besides one restaurant.

That last post of his was positively disgusting and I would hope that the Fodors editors would think seriously about his postings from now on. There is no place here for calling people names.

Ugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -