Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Old Sacramento (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/old-sacramento-1463190/)

joschwin Aug 6th, 2017 04:13 AM

Old Sacramento

Looking to stay 2 nights in Old Sacramento...like to walk a town with nice restaurants is this a good location for such...it will be Sept 15th headed to Sonoma for Indy race....which hotels would be near the hustle and bustle walking distance to town ?? Or open to any other suggestions ..

tomfuller Aug 6th, 2017 04:35 AM

If you can afford it, the Delta King would be very memorable.
https://deltaking.com/
The other "nice" (but expensive) restaurant is the Firehouse.
Being a railroad fan, I love the California Railroad Museum in the north end of Old Sac.
Try to see the Crocker Museum and check out the Capitol grounds which are both within walking distance.

bachslunch Aug 6th, 2017 06:13 AM

Agree with tomfuller about the Crocker and RR Museum, both very good. The capitol grounds are indeed nice, and the building itself is worth a stop in inside. A little further along are Sutter's Mill and the California State Indian Museum, both good.

MichelleY Aug 6th, 2017 07:13 AM

Embassy Suites is also right along the river. Midtown has some of the best restaurants with lots of variety.

janisj Aug 6th, 2017 07:26 AM

There are many hotels in Downtown Sacramento and all are walking distance to Old Town. The Delta King is the only one in the boundaries of Old Sac but the Embassy Suites is directly across the street. Then just a few blocks up town are the Hyatt, the Citizen, the Sheraton Grand and others. A lot depends on your budget. The Delta King is a fun 'experience' but for comfort -- one of the others might be better. Especially the Embassy Suites since they are all two room suites and many have good either river or city views.

There is some construction going on in Old Sac. They are making the wooden freight platforms (which are basically the entire river front) ADA compliant.

Number one site is the Railroad Museum. Then the Crocker -- fabulous bldg plus a wonderful collection. The Capitol Grounds are a big park and it is not nearly as lovely as it used to be. The Viet Nam Memorial and rose garden are great but the grounds themselves are not maintained as well as in the past. Still a great place for shade and to get out of the hot sun.

As for restaurants -- There are many more than just the Firehouse. There are some very nice places in Old Sac like the Rio City Cafe, and Fat City and some fun chains like Joe's Crab Shack. But if you wander to the upper end of downtown (up J and K to about 15th Street) and anywhere in Mid Town Basically a big square from 15h St - 29th St/I St to R St is absolutely FULL of great/really wonderful places to eat. Everything from Micheline-star-worthy like Ella, Biba, Waterboy or Mulvaney's or Grange . . . to Irish/English pubs like DeVere's and the Fox and Goose . . . and everything in between. Every sort of cuisine you could think of from poke to Caribbean to Mexican to Spanish to vegetarian to comfort to fusion to whatever.

sf7307 Aug 6th, 2017 08:31 AM

Just to clarify, Sutter's FORT is in Sacramento, Sutter's MILL is 45 miles away in Coloma.

janisj Aug 6th, 2017 08:45 AM

OH -- I didn't see bachslunch's post. Good catch. Yes -- HUGE difference. Sutter's <u>Fort</u> is towards the eastern end of Mid Town near or convenient to some great restaurants. Not walking distance from Old Sac - at least not in the heat of September

Sutter's <u>Mill</u> is in the Marshall Gold Discovery State Park - - an hour's drive from downtown Sacramento.

jamie99 Aug 6th, 2017 10:54 AM

I've only stayed at the Sheraton in old Sacramento, it was very nice, we stayed there when visiting family. Also stayed at a Residence Inn but that was in a suburb, Natomas, so not in walking distance.

janisj Aug 6th, 2017 12:17 PM

>>I've only stayed at the Sheraton in old Sacramento, <<

The Sheraton is not in or even near Old Sacramento. It is at 13th and J. 2nd Street is the eastern limit of Old Sacramento.

socaltraveler Aug 6th, 2017 12:29 PM

Friends of ours stayed at the Embassy Suites recently. Thought it was a good location for exploring. I cannot recommend the Railroad Museum enough; we have an annual pass and take our grandchildren there often. Nice eating along the waterfront (Rio City Cafe) and definitely many wonderful places if you walk a bit further into midtown. We had dinner at Mulvaney B&L on Friday night, very nice. Biba is another favorite. 3 years living in Sacramento now, we really like it.

MichelleY Aug 6th, 2017 12:29 PM

Sheraton is considered downtown.

Ten22 in Old Sac has a nice courtyard for a meal.

bachslunch Aug 6th, 2017 12:30 PM

Yup, thanks for the correction on Sutter's Mill vs. Sutter's Fort. My bad.

joschwin Aug 7th, 2017 05:11 AM

thank you all for the suggestions...I am sure we can find lots to do for a 2 night stay.

BarbAnn Aug 7th, 2017 07:17 AM

Another fun activity while in Old Sac is the Sacramento Underground Tour. Not only do you go underground, but you learn a lot of Old Sac history.

http://sachistorymuseum.org/tours/underground-tours/