"Old Man of the Mountain" in NH has fallen...

Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Old Man of the Mountain" in NH has fallen...

Most of the Old Man of the Mountain, a natural stone profile that symbolizes the state of New Hampshire, has fallen from the side of the mountain, apparently overnight.

For many years, volunteers have tried to shore up the "Profile", which was one of the most photographed natural sights and appears on our state route roadsigns and license plates.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM

Wow, so sorry to read this. I'm sure many of us native New Englanders have memories of trips up to see "the Old Man" during summer breaks.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:38 PM

I went to college in up country New Hampshire and often heard stories about the profiles precarious position. I am very sorry to hear this.

Jon-Eric, New Orleans
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM

If you go to boston.com (The Boston Globe's site), you can see photos of the Old Man, before and after. Sad.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:40 PM

Wow, that has got to be heartbreaking. In the travels of my lifetime the wilderness of the northeast United States was going to be the last and one of the most anticipated of my destinations. I had planned a trip to Sinclair, Maine, the coast and northern New Hampshire and then Boston next year. I was going to post a question as to what not to miss and I know fodorites would have recommended this! Truly sad.
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Cassandra

Condolences to everyone in the state of New Hampshire or the New Hampshire state of mind.

Seems somehow symbolic, but maybe it's mostly symbolic of the fact that time is relentless, as is gravity apparently, even if you are mountain.

Spent many summers of my youth in NH and met my husband working there one summer. The Old Man always meant something eternal and natural about New Hampshire, and perhaps that will never change.

Old May 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I was saddened when I heard this news yesterday. I grew up in New England and have fond memories of visits to NH and this site. It's been the symbol of the Granite state >>> http://travel.boston.com/places/newe...man_image.html
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:31 AM
JBX

-
Bummer. The perils of waiting too long before having a facelift.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:04 PM
dln

At least they had enough sense to immortalize the grand old guy on the new quarter for NH.