Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Old Fashioned Italian Restaurant in Manhattan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/old-fashioned-italian-restaurant-in-manhattan-723975/)

Diana805 Jul 26th, 2007 07:21 AM

Old Fashioned Italian Restaurant in Manhattan

I'm leaving July 27 for a vacation in NY.
My husband lived in NY until 1977 and recalls fondly some "old-fashioned" Italian restaurants that are no longer there. He wants a red-sauce kind of place with good food and traditional southern Italian dishes. We used to go to Johnny's in the Times Square area, but it is no longer there. Any part of Manhattan is fine, but we will be in Times Square area and Greenwich Village. Inexpensive to moderate in price would also be good. Sorry for the short notice. Thanks in advance for any help.

JarredK Jul 26th, 2007 07:35 AM

Il Vagabondo is one of my favorites for old-fashion red-sauce italian dishes (62nd btwn 1st/2nd). They have a bocce ball court inside the restaurant. They have a newer addition as well so request to be seated by the bocce ball court for the old-school ambiance.

Diana805 Jul 26th, 2007 10:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Jarred.
Any other suggestions from anyone?

MFNYC Jul 26th, 2007 10:47 AM

Gene's on w. 11th near 6th avenue fits the bill. It's been around forever, very old school style in look, food and even waiters. The have all the usual red sauce dishes and many others. They also have a very reasonable prix fixe menu with good variety - appetizer/main cource/dessert/coffee for about $26.

MFNYC Jul 26th, 2007 10:49 AM

You can view user commets and menus on menupages.com.

BTW, Gene's has great profiteroles for dessert.

curiousgeo Jul 26th, 2007 11:17 AM

Old fashioned Italian in midtown, Gino, 780 Lexington Ave, about as old school as they come. In the Village, Ennio and Michael Ristorante, 539 Laguardia Place just below NYU.

LJ Jul 26th, 2007 12:21 PM

Perhaps your husband remembers Mama Leone's? My family do-very corny,wonderful for taking small children, good food...and long gone, but if anyone else here remembers it, my family would love something similar for an upcoming trip we are taking.

woodysagoodboy Jul 26th, 2007 12:32 PM

Sometimes those 30-year-old memories should be left as memories...have you ever been to a class reunion?

aliced Jul 26th, 2007 12:38 PM

Becco over on Restaurant Row (9th or 10th Ave in mid-40's)-- for classic red-sauce and dont skimp on portions, there is always Carmine's in the Theatre District right off Times Sq.

ellenem Jul 26th, 2007 02:30 PM

In the East Village
John's
on 12th St near 2nd Ave

missypie Jul 26th, 2007 02:40 PM

I don't claim to be a NY restaurant expert at all, but a couple of weeks ago we dined at Becco and it was very nice. It is very convenient if you are trying to see a show the same night.

mp Jul 26th, 2007 02:50 PM

These are good suggestions - I was gonna mention John's of 12th Street (not to be confused with the pizza places on Bleecker and in the W. 40's) - it will probably be the most reasonably priced . . . I used to go there 30 years ago . . . .
You might try Baldoria on W. 49th - pricy but can be popular, mostly because it's related to the famous Rao's in East Harlem. Gino is a real throwback, too (cash only).Other ideas might be Patsy's on W. 56th St. - Sinatra's favorite place - is really old fashioned, I think the food is mediocre at best . . . but the atmosphere is genuine. Check out the menus on www.menupages.com

Diana805 Jul 26th, 2007 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I met my husband in NY when I was attending NYU and I remember Mama Leone's. We'll check some of them out.
The homepage for Il Vagabondo is hysterical.

Pumpy Jul 26th, 2007 06:24 PM

Il Mulino...not cheap

MFNYC Jul 27th, 2007 10:24 AM

There was a mob hit on this season's soprano's at Johns and E. 12th. I have been to John's and Gene's both several times in the past few years. In my opinion Gene's is better (and I even saw Micheal Imperioli eating there once), and only a bit pricier than John's *their prix fixe can't be beat).

I haven't been to Ennio & Michael's in a few years but have had some nice meals there. It is a bit pricier if I remember correctly. It also is a newer place, so it doesn't have the throwback charm kind of ambiance of John's and Genes, but the staff was delightful.

jodeenyc Jul 27th, 2007 11:19 AM

Second Il Mulino - very old school and delicious. Try lunch you might have a better chance to get in.

Aduchamp1 Jul 28th, 2007 05:49 AM

Beware of the bill at Il Molino. There have numerous accounts of the bill being incorrect and never in the dinner's favor.

Gekko Jul 28th, 2007 08:13 AM

The food at Il Vagabondo is compartively mediocre at best (I used to live on the block, two doors down), but the atmosphere is great and it's a good place for "celebrity sightings."

For "old-fashioned" Italian cuisine, you can't beat Volare in the Village, West 4th Street.

ekscrunchy Aug 4th, 2007 11:53 AM

Piccolo Angolo on Hudson Street might be what you are looking for.

GBC Aug 4th, 2007 01:55 PM

This wasn't my post, but THANKS, responders for some great ideas.