Old Alexandria Town worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in DC in mid March. Would it be worth our while to visit Old Alexandria Town. We only have 4 days. I'm concerned about weather. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:51 PM

Worth it? It depends upon what you want to see/do in the Wash DC area. You could spend a week just in Washington.

Old Town Alexandria basically consists of several blocks on King Street with lots of restaurants, pubs, and shops, and some antiques. I would say it would be worth a Saturday afternoon for several hours, including lunch. Walk down to the river and tour the old Torpedo Factory which is converted into lots of arts & craft shops. Stop by Murphy's a couple blocks past Washington Street in the opposite direction of the river for a pint.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:15 AM
jon

I agree. It's a worthwhile trip to soak in the history of DC's surrounding areas. To learn about the area, take a ghost tour or historical tour to get an appreciation of the area in a short time. It's definitely a great place to unwind after whirlwind days of sightseeing in DC.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM

Elaine, this description was done a few years ago, but it is still accurate. In short, Old Town is more than just restaurants along King Street; it is definitely a place to visit. Here's trhe thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

I thought it was a fun place. Great restaurants. We took the Ghost tour and learned some interesting things. Make it an afternoon/evening after a visit to Mt. Vernon.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:22 PM

That depends, it this your 1st visit to DC or your 5th? Do you plan on returning soon? As someone already noted, you could spend a whole week and still not see half the city. Weather should not be too bad - all snows will have melted and it will be cool (40's-50's). I would suggest 3 days for the museums/galleries/monuments** (just a taste) and one day "off the mall" seeing U st, Dupont, G'town, Capitol Hill (including Eastern Market), zoo, arboretum, waterfont, parks, etc.

** for museums/galleries/monuments I would suggest FDR, Holocaust, Nat'l Gallery of Art (eat there), Capitol, Lincoln, Hirshhorn, Vietnam, Amer. History, Fred. Douglas House (taxi), Botanical, Nat'l cemetary (walk from Lincoln), Nat'l Catherdral.

btw, what neighborhod will you be stayig in?
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:42 PM

We like Old Town very much-- In fact, the last time we visited Washington, we stayed in Old Town -- It's a great town to come back to after sightseeing in DC all day -- Nice place to walk at night - great restaurants -- relaxing.....
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish we had more time than just 4 days! We'll probably wind up visiting Old Alexandria Town....
Bardo, we're staying in Dupont Circle...Anyone have any input on the Eastern Market or the Georgtown Flea Market?
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:20 AM

I like Eastern Market http://www.easternmarket.net/ - the flea market is open on Sundays. While at Eastern Market you MUST plan a meal at Montemarte http://www.montmartre.us/
although there are many less expensive restaurants on the block.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Bardo, thanks for the link to the Eastern Market. The Montmare looked great...One question-will we be able to use the subway and walk to the Eastern Market and to Montmare, or should we take a taxi?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Take the subway to the Eastern Market stop and cross Penn ave. - here's a map. If you are coming from the Capitol, the Supreme Court, or The Library of Congress - it's avery pleasant walk (about 5- blocks)
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:47 AM

http://www.montmartre.us/directions.htm
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Bardo, thanks for all your help. Are you a "native DC'er"?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:14 PM

No. Only the last 20 years.....
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM

I second the recommendation of Murphy's, not for the beer which I have never tried, but for the best fish and chips I have had this side of the Atlantic.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:34 PM

If you're choosing between Eastern Market and Old Town Alexandria, I would recommend Old Town. I like farmer's markets and flea markets but I don't think Eastern Market is anything special.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
emd

Hello Elaine. I see you have posted on the forum in the last few days w/your dining questions, so I guess you will be checking this thread as well. I wanted to add that if you going to come to my neck of the woods and go to Old Town Alexandria, I would second the ghost tour or the regular walking tour- they leave from the little stone cottage across the street from City Hall (just ask and people will guide you to that corner of King St.) They take you by the oldest pharmacy in the U.S. and the place where George Washington drank his pints, etc. Also, we like the Torpedo factory as the other poster noted. If you had a car and could drive down to Mount Vernon, George's house, that's a great day- but I get the sense you might be using metro w/only a few days in D.C.
In the evening on the weekends there is street entertainment on King St, esp. down by the waterfront area. It's different than D.C. and worth it. I agree that 4 days isn't much in D.C. and maybe you'll end up coming to Old Town on your next visit, but don't forget it...
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM

You can visit the church where George Washington and Robert E. Lee worshipped.

And do have a meal, or at least a pastry, at Bread and Chocolate. I had a custard tart with fresh raspberries on it last fall the taste of which still lingers in my memory. My daughter had chocolate chip pancakes.