Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

OK... We've Chosen Charleston for New Years.... Now What?? We Need Advice.....

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone for helping us choose btwn CHS, SAV & HHH.

First of all, we are staying at the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina in Mt. Pleasant. Anyone have any input on it? We were looking for a quiant B&B in historic downtown, but this was literally the only place we could find to stay at such short notice close to downtown. If anyone knows of a better, more charming place to stay outside of downtown that may have rooms, please let us know since this is not set in stone yet. We like the larger, B&B or Inn feel.

We will have a car, and are wondering what we shouldn't miss... Boone Hall Plantation looks stunning. Anything else we should check out? We are in our thirties and love natural beauty, moss covered oaks and historic or interesting places you can't see anytwhere else in the world.

Also, where should we be for New Years? I heard there is a rooftop bar in Charleston... Do we need reservations? Is there somewhere we should book for dinner? Might be too late, but we like a laid-back atmosphere and fun... but not too fun, we are getting too old for the club/party scene!

Thanks!
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Since you are over at Mt. Pleasant I suggest eating one night at the Boathouse between Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms. Great food and if it is warm enough to sit outside you can see the dolphins playing in the changing tide.

The roof top lounge your are referring to is the Vendue Inn in Charleston.

Jen. Where are you from. What are your interests?
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Be sure to visit the Straw Market and you can take a trolley tour. For years, we passed on the trolley tours, and then we finally went on one, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
They give a great overview of the city. They are located right in back of the Visitors Center.
Be sure not to miss an area known as The Battery. The homes are exquisite and you have beautiful water views of Fort Sumter.
This last time, we visited Fort Moultrie and it was wonderful.
Make sure to go to the visitors center across the street and see the movie.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Another roof top bar is the Pavilion Terrace.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 06:24 AM

For historic and interesting, try Drayton Hall. http://www.draytonhall.org/
The original family sold it to the National Trust in the 1970s and it's been beautifully preserved. No furniture, china, paintings, etc. just outstanding architecture (the house never had electricity or plumbing installed, so it's very much what it has been from the beginning).
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!

We are from Milwaukee, and being so, love the more upscale, laid-back, bar/restaurant thing. The kind of place you can wear jeans and a nice sweater, but not tee-shirts and cut-offs. Some of the best restaurants in Mke are micro-breweries, so we've become accustomed to that style.

I think we will do a tour in town, and go to a plantation. I'm feeling partial to Drayton Hall.

I can't wait! We're leaving on Friday. Thanks all for the advice!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM

I would second Drayton Hall for your plantation tour - it's very authentic, historical & interesting.
If you like history, the civil war submarine "Hunley" is also worth viewing, although it has limited times for tours. In Mt. Pleasant, we enjoyed a fine meal at the Old Village Post House, as well as a delicious lunch at Zeus Seafood Restaurant (they had the best Greek chicken!) We also enjoy the view/ambiance from the rooftop Pavillion Bar (order the scallop appitizers - sooo good!) Have fun!