Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

OK to take 14 year old to New Orleans for Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've never been to New Orleans and are considering going there over the Christmas holiday. Would it be appropriate to take a 14 y.o.? We're avoiding Mardi Gras for the debauchery, but wanted to know whether taking a teenager to a city that promotes adult-centric activities was a good idea.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Every parent will probably give you a different reply, but we took our children to NO when they were younger than that and we all had a great time. In my opinion, how much your child enjoys it will depend totally on how you respond to it.

We went to fine restaurants - which they loved - and my young son was so impressive with the waiters at Commander's Palace they gave him (and us and our daughter) a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar.

Don't gasp, but we also walked down Bourbon Street in the cold light of day, so they saw placards in the windows of strip joints. It was no big deal.

Unless you're very uncomfortable with the idea of nudity (in which case you only need to stay off Bourbon Street), I'd urge you to take your child. There are lots of kid-friendly activities, too
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, SusanCS. Your response is very helpful. We're not prudes, and we're not scared off by random nudity partly b/c we live in a major east coast city, so we've seen craziness before. (Unfortunately, I'm assuming it's women who are the objects of nudity, which in that case, my daughter has seen it already.) When she was 12, we went to Paris and walked to the famous Moulin Rouge not realizing that the street was full of sex shops, nudity, etc. She didn't bat an eye, and neither did I. I just wasn't sure whether NO would be comparable to this, or a whole different level of aggressiveness because of the open alcohol container law there. Public alcohol consumption and drunkenness usually encourage bad behavior.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:19 AM

I haven't been in a decade or so, but my recollection is that, at least early in the evening the crowds are more or less comparable to any major St. Patrick's day parade in a major city.
As the evening goes on, people may get more demonstrative and you'll catch stranger sights: I've seen folks dressed up as ninjas, a group of young men in diapers, just odd things.
The police seemed to allow a little fun, but would quickly crack down on violence and/or disrespect (to them, at least). Someone else can chime in if my observations are too dated/wrong.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 07:01 AM

Happy Ninja Christmas? Do we have the wrong holiday?
NO, like other major cities, has a few kids in its population.
Most of their parents will be doing things other than taking them to strip clubs or places where debauchery is common.
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...onal/cnos.html
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM

We've taken the kids - teens -- to NO and had a GREAT time, and so did they! Agree on the recommendation for jazz brunch at Commander's Palace, and take them to Cafe du Monde, of course! Don't forget the somewhat new D-Day museum. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM

While we don't have children, we always see lots of all ages when we're there. Stay away from Bourbon Street near Canal after about six at nite and I doubt they'll see anything you don't want them to.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! Your responses have been extremely helpful. Sylvia3, thanks for the link. It's full of great info. Bakerstreet, nice to get the perspective from someone who took teenagers to NO. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Bitter and dwdva, thanks for the heads up about steering clear of Bourbon Street at night. As strange as it seems, I actually want to see a group of guys dressed in diapers! Hilarious!

So I've made up my mind -- we're going! Thanks for all the information.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Check out Papa Noel for New Orleans. The tourist commission really puts out a good pamphlet( papa Noel) for Christmas. They have papa Noel price packages for hotels, reveillion dinners at great restaurants, etc. You can do the bonfires on the Mississippi River by boat or car or bus. Lots of fun things to do.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM

(Unfortunately, I'm assuming it's women who are the objects of nudity, which in that case, my daughter has seen it already.)

In NO, you may think it's a woman, but probably actually a man.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 05:08 AM

>

I hope you understand that this is only a SMALL part of Mardi Gras. For the most part (away from the FQ) - it's a VERY family-oriented time of the year.
----------------------
>

Yup. Somehow I managed to grow up there without having any (major) adverse effects!
----------------------
There are wonderful things for teens in NO. From the Aquarium to the Zoo to Mardi Gras World. Lots to see and do. And if you have a car, check out Celebration in the Oaks at City Park.

http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/ce...on-in-the-oaks
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM

We live in the suburbs of New Orleans and take our 4 teens (ages 13-16) to New Orleans often. There is so much more to New Orleans than what the media portrays. There is no reason at all to go on Bourbon Street. That really is a very touristy area that can attract tourists looking for a party. Just avoid it.
Our teens favorites:
1. City Park Celebration in the Oaks (end of Nov. - Jan 2) - This park is very beautiful and full of things to do during the day also. Also on the grounds is New Orleans Museum of Art and Morning Call (like Café du Monde)
2. World War II Museum
3. Do a cemetery tour. My teens loved this! Do one with a real guide that is historically accurate, not a creepy tour. We used http://www.tour-new-orleans.com/. Our guide was Joyce.
4. Aquarium
5. Try to get tickets for something at the newly reopened, historic Saenger Theater. It is stunning! I now that Sister Act and Moscow Ballet Nutcracker will be here in December but the website is: http://www.saengernola.com/calendar
6. Try a Segway or bike tour of the French Quarter or surrounding area. They have different ones with different themes.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM

I think you need to open these kids up to a really interesting and historic city--on many levels. Pay attention to World--she knows the city--and values the city for its totalness--think about that. It IS a great city.