Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ok, I Want To Move To Spain.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ok-i-want-to-move-to-spain-481963/)

ninalou Oct 22nd, 2004 03:54 PM

Ok, I Want To Move To Spain....

...at least for a little while. I am an American and (obviously) a non-EU-er...terribly unfortunate. I do not want to live here in the US anymore for political, social and philosophical reasons. I haven't for years now, but have been daunted by the ability to make a living in Spain.

My story is (you may skip this part if you deem it trivial):
I grew up in the DC area, moved to NYC (all by myself) at the ripe suburban-girl age of 17 to model...ich. Needless to say, being a model, for me, was empty, depressing, and ridiculous. I got an undergrad degree at Hunter College in NYC in Anthropology...studied film and Spanish also. Got an internship that led to full-time employment with the documentary film team who created Brother's Keeper, Paradise Lost, and the new Metallica doc. A great job! Bartended weekends for extra dough. Moved to New Orleans in 2000...I was sick of NYC after 10 years...to write my own documentary about the red-light district once here called Storyville....and bartended. Met and married my true love (he's a jazz musician who wants to live in Spain too). Now, I am working on a Master's in Spanish here in New Orleans and still bartending. I have been to Portugal, Italy & London for at least 2 weeks at each spot as a traveler...stayed with friends or rented a house. Just came back from a honeymoon in México....Playa del Carmen and Punta Maroma in Quintana Roo (Yucatan Peninsula).

So, I desperately want to move to Spain! Could I finish my Master's there, teach English, bartend, write for travel mags/books, work as a translator...all, some, or one of these things as a non-EU-er??? I know my new husband could work the jazz "circuit" there. We're far from rich with poor relatives and friends.

What CAN we do? Do we have other comparable options? Please be honest, but not mean :).

Thanks for enduring or listening,

Tara

LoveItaly Oct 22nd, 2004 04:58 PM

First thought - go on the Europe board.

GoTravel Oct 23rd, 2004 09:19 AM

Please, be my guest.

Dreamer2 Oct 23rd, 2004 09:41 AM

Why don't you try to set up some sort of study-abroad with your Master's Program? At least you'd have some sort of support system starting off.

Little_Man Oct 23rd, 2004 10:32 AM

The great thing is that you are young (sounds like it anyway)and have no kids!
Now's the time to try it!!! You only live once, do some research and have a great time :)!

Good luck to you.

travleis Oct 23rd, 2004 11:16 AM

I'll honor your request not to be mean.
But can you expand on your comment that you are unfortunately an American and not an EU-er?

Anonymous Oct 23rd, 2004 11:26 AM

If nina were an EU-er, the whole undertaking would be simpler because there would not be any immigration-type obstacles to her working or staying in Spain. It's a statement about bureacracy, not politics.

cher_cher Oct 23rd, 2004 11:27 AM

Probably because it would be easier to move to an EU country if one were native EU?

Why so touchy?

ninalou Oct 23rd, 2004 11:33 AM

Yeah! Thanks Anonymous & cher__cher!

patg Oct 23rd, 2004 11:34 AM

A member of my immediate family is a US citizen living in Spain. It's not easy being an outsider, and right now Americans are not held in high regard. There are job opportunities, but you are going to need connections. I would encourage you to do a study abroad semester as part of your schooling, and see what opportunities develop.

A couple of caveats: there are many British citizens in Spain, and British English is more highly valued than American English. Translators and teachers are in pretty good supply, which keeps the salaries low. There are a number of private language academies because the English taught in public schools is very poor. However, you won't be able to work in the public schools because you aren't a citizen.

Health care is nationalized for Spanish citizens, so you would be in a difficult position if you got sick; you'd have to deal with either the health bureaucracy, or the high-priced private market.

None of this is meant to discourage you, but to make you think more deeply about your options. You know what you are running away from, but what are you running to? Good luck with your efforts.

easytraveler Oct 23rd, 2004 11:36 AM

It sounds like you've got itchy feet and just want to "move on".

Why not try a cruise ship or a resort in, say, Mexico? Cruise ships routinely need good entertainers. Cruising the Caribbean or the Mediterranean or work for a singles-oriented resort like Sandals.

Wherever you end up - good luck and have fun!