Ohio Antiques & Amish Country Suggestions Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying in to CVG to explore Ohio and love to explore the backroads of Amish country as well as hit the antique shops and malls. We will drive thru most of the state and I have mapped out the little towns between Sugarcreek and Apple Creek. Are there other areas you would suggest that are not as touristy? We like nothing more than driving a little country road past a beautiful Amish farmhouse. What other areas of Ohio would you suggest for that? Also, we will be going to the antique flea market and mall in the Sprinfield area. Any other areas best for antique and collectable shops? Any Ohio "don't miss" suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Drive about and take your time. Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek would be fine for lunch. Heini's cheese in Berlin is fun. Plenty of crafts stores about; most villages seemed to have at least one. Motor gently. Almost yearly a cart of Amish get killed by someone intent on forcing the 21st Century on the Amish.
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM

http://www.visitamishcountry.com/ http://www.experience-ohio-amish-country.com/
You'd likely be better served to fly into Columbus, CVG is IN Ky. I also recall there being some Amish antique places in Galloway & West Jeff, but it has been nearly 20 years since I have lived up there.
Springfield is not the nicest city, but since you'll be in the area make sure & stop here, you'll not regret the side-trip - http://youngsdairy.com/
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
nlg

Last May we went to Berlin Ohio and stayed at the Graystone Cottages-it was a very nice place to stay to see the Amish Country-you can walk to all the shops and restaurants in Berlin.
The cottages were great and breakfast is included.
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Go to Lehman's Hardware in Kidron - there are many unique things in this store and we saw lots of Amish in there. We also saw many Amish people in the neighboring market and surrounding area.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM

I think the Amish country is north of Columbus as has been suggested, BUT southern Ohio around Cincy is antique heaven for affordability!
Springfield--or outside Springfield on I70 has two HUGEEEEE antique malls. It will take a day.
Waynesville, just south of Springfield, is a town full of shops and restaurants. Wonderful.
Lebanon has the historic Golden Lamb for a great lunch, and town FULL of shops with very fine antiques.
You might enjoy the Uber der Rhein portion of Newport KY (I think). The little college town of Oxford (Miami U.) has some really nice shops, and not too far on up is Crawfordsville Indiana for terrrific antiquing.
YOu might google Springfield also for its big flea market market--it is memorable if you are there on that weekend.
Amish country is going to be expensive antiquing. I prefer looking at things I can possibly afford!! Just me.
And for fun in Cincy, go to Jungle Jim's for food shopping.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones wonderful input....I knew you guys would not let me down! I am mapping it all. Keep it coming!
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM
cd

You will enjoy Holmes County, Berlin, millersburg, Walnut Creek, sugarcreek. Perhaps this website would be of interest: http://www.visitamishcountry.com/
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM

To be quite honest, Eastern Ohio has a lot to offer also if you are looking for antiques, ie Zanesville and Cambridge, Ohio. I would suggest looking at AuctionZip.com to see what auctions are happening on your visit. You might be able to pick-up on some great deals. A beautiful drive is through South Eastern Ohio just south of Zanesville, Ohio down to Athens, Ohio.

The historic national road offers many antique and pottery shops, though the most fun comes from the auctions as not only will you find some great deals but the food at the auctions is outstanding, my kids always enjoy the auction food and my wife and I love the deals.

A great place to stay on the National Road is Baker's Motel which was built in the late 30's though their rooms with 2 beds were built in the early 60's, this is a very nice historical place to stay and it is in the middle of the pottery and antiques.