Ohana Surf- Waikiki- any opinions?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Yvonne

Ohana Surf- Waikiki- any opinions?

I just booked a room at the Ohana Surf for 2 people and myself-studio kitchenette. It says the hotel is moderate, and the photos look decent. We are not looking for anything fancy, as long it is clean. Any opinions both good and bad? Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Yvonne

Anyone? Please!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:11 PM
mary

I think this used to be a Best Western. It's located on Kuhio Av which runs parallel to Kalakau which is Waikiki's main drag. It will take you about 5-6 minutes to walk to Waikiki Beach from this hotel location.

Kuhio Av is a very busy, unscenic street, lots of bus action. But if you are on a budget, I'd say this is a pretty good location.

There are also budget to moderately priced Outrigger Ohana hotels located closer to the beach on Lewers Street. Parking is a challenge here, however.
And the hotels aren't deluxe by any stretch.

If you are 100% firm about your travel plans, you can go to BiddingForTravel.com and check out what people are paying for 3-Star properties via Priceline in Waikiki. I am pretty sure you can get those rooms in the $50 range. (The Ohanas would be 2-Stars, probably.) I have used Priceline many many times in Waikiki. Sometimes we get a real steal, sometimes we get a really crummy room. It's a crapshoot, LOL.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Dianne

I've stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Surf and the Ohana Waikiki Surf East. They were both clean and having a kitchenette is convenient. The Ohana Surf is no doubt similar to the other two. Whoever names these hotels sure doesn't have a lot of imagination though!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:37 PM
lcuy

I've had 5 clients stay in this hotel, some of them staying for several weeks while looking for permanent housing. They all agreed it was pleasant, very clean and fairly spacious. No one had problems with the noise, but a mountain facing room might be quieter than an oceanside (No view anyway).
I've never been in the rooms, but the lobby is pleasant. My only complaint was that the rooms don't have personal answer machines and the front desk is a bit slow, both in answering the calls and taking messages.