Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oh what a wonderful flying experience this week! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oh-what-a-wonderful-flying-experience-this-week-646252/)

Neopolitan Sep 13th, 2006 08:39 AM

Oh what a wonderful flying experience this week!

With so many of us often posting about our nightmarish flying experiences these days, I thought I'd post about my wonderful day yesterday.
We flew from LAX to Miami nonstop on AA, then with just a 45 minute layover, took the American Eagle from Miami to Ft. Myers.

Originally we booked to go LAX to DFW, change, and then DFW to Ft. Myers, but a change of schedule made them change us to an earlier flight. Since we had to drive up from San Diego I called and they let us rebook the later flight we took.

Because this coast to coast flight was a very recent change of equipment to a wide-body 777 from something much smaller, it was only about half filled. What's more it has a huge business class as well as first class and we were easily able to use some of our upgrade credits for a free upgrade. While I've flown coast to coast on American a couple times in First Class on their regular domestic planes, this was one of their International configured planes -- in fact apparently the same plane that had just come in from Tokyo to LAX. It was indeed luxurious and more comfortable than 1st in those other planes.

So we dined on chilled poached salmon on a bed of linquini with mango and jalapeno, tossed baby greens with a parmesan/peppercorn dressing, choice of nice breads, ice cream mounded with fresh raspberries and drizzled with some liquor. We drank very nice wines. An hour later they served hot, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and milk. We had individual TVs for movies or TV.

The best parts? When we got to LAX at about 9:30 for our 11:50 AM flight, there was no line and we checked right in. We went upstairs to clear security and there was NO line. I mean, there wasn't even anyone telling us what to put through the belt. Finally I asked someone on the other side if we were to remove shoes or not, and she said yes. When I said, "no one's yelling out what to do" she said "that's because there's no one to yell it to and the others are taking a break". We literally walked right through. So much for tight security.

I had been worried about the 45 minute change in Miami. I needed worry, as our flight came in about 15 minutes early. We casually strolled to the American Eagle gates, and within 10 minutes they started boarding the bus to the Eagle plane. Our Eagle flight arrived in Ft. Myers about 15 minutes early as well.

Gee, if regular flying were as nice as this, you couldn't get me off the plane. Incidentally, since we usually fly AA business class to Europe I felt like at the end of our 5 hour flight we should have been in Europe. But this new plane seemed even nicer than the ones we've flown to Europe on.

Neopolitan Sep 13th, 2006 08:41 AM

I realize that my talking about 1st and Business class got a little muddy. The plane we were on had both 1st and Business. Yesterday we were in Business Class -- not first -- but my comparison was that this Business class was far nicer than 1st on the regular domestic planes.

highflyer Sep 13th, 2006 08:53 AM

Sounds lovely and there's nothing like arriving early! :)

TheWeasel Sep 13th, 2006 09:08 AM

Please, post this on the Airlines forum so all the AA haters see it. They'll have a conniption. :)

GoTravel Sep 13th, 2006 09:14 AM

Neopolitan, wake up! Wake up!

You are having some dream about domestic air travel being peaceful and serene and are talking in your sleep about fine wines and good airline food.

missypie Sep 13th, 2006 09:20 AM

Yes, everyone is going to think you're a plant from AA and that it isn't really true. (I have my doubts myself...)

OO Sep 13th, 2006 09:29 AM

LOL, GoT...that is <i>exactly</i> what I was thinking. Too funny. :)

Thanks so much for the <i>good</i> review Neo. More often than not..it's the other we hear and this was refreshing.

GoTravel Sep 13th, 2006 09:33 AM

Just had to poke fun a little....

Yes, it is very refreshing to hear good airline stories.

I know on a flight a couple years ago from Chicago to LAX we were ahead of schedule so the Captain got clearance to circle the Grand Canyon for us. To give both sides of the planes good views, he did Figure Eights over the Grand Canyon.

Wow what a view!

LoveItaly Sep 13th, 2006 10:13 AM

Welcome home Neo!!! A wonderful flying experience, will wonders never cease, lol. Glad your flights all went so well and the food sounded fantastic. Take care!!

missypie Sep 13th, 2006 10:34 AM

You know, earlier this summer, I was going to post about a wonderful flying experience on BA from Gatwick to DFW...then our luggage arrived about 30 hours after we did, so things didn't seem so rosy anymore?

Neopolitan Sep 13th, 2006 01:14 PM

Well, I must admit I always fear the worst and I kept thinking the whole time something was going to turn this around -- like we'd miss our connection in Miami, or they'd lose our luggage, but actually I can't think of a single complaint.

By the way, our flights out (Ft. Myers to Dallas to SFO) were also both early. What in the world is happening with AA? Although I must admit that they have lengthened the supposed travel time so they can be a bit &quot;late&quot; and still arrive early than scheduled. But still. . .

AnnMarie_C Sep 13th, 2006 01:25 PM

lol, about Neo's experience being a dream...I'm picturing Cher slapping Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck...&quot;snap out of it!&quot;. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed a great trip home, Neopolitan! Icing on the cake after all the traveling you've done this summer!

rkkwan Sep 13th, 2006 01:34 PM

There was just an article on yesterday's Wall Street Journal about delays and such. In summary (along with my experience):

- Summer flight delays are actually better than last year because many airlines have been cutting back flights. [Main problem were summer thunderstorms in the NYC area in June/July.]

- Flights were very full June/July, so you do have a problem if you get bumped or the flight get cancelled.

- Since August, passenger traffic and load factor have decreased significantly due to security, slow down of economy, early start of many schools, and the high fares.

And the experience of my own and close relatives (whom I book travel for) confirm this. Airports have been quiet since August. Security lines are short in the US and flights are leaving on-time.

It is a far cry today from June/July.

tinah Feb 8th, 2008 06:53 AM

Must be a different AA from the one I used. I flew from San Juan to Dallas in coach and did not even get offered a bag of peanuts!
One soft drink per person and begrudgingly a second one if asked.
Oh well! If the flight arrived on time and my luggage was not lost, should not ask much more than that from AA.

NeoPatrick Feb 8th, 2008 07:36 AM

Too funny. I read the original post (not realizing it was a year and a half old) and kept thinking -- &quot;that's happened to me too&quot;. It wasn't until I started reading responses that I realized -- Oh, that WAS me!

I really have to start looking at posting dates and posting names! I was ready to respond to myself! I'm not sure why tinah revived this old post.

kansasmom Feb 8th, 2008 08:28 AM

Despite the fact that it is an old thread, it was still interesting to read, especially since my all-time worst flying experience was on American. It is interesting that we really don't even expect good service from airlines and in airports anymore, and we are shocked and incredibly pleased when we are actually treated like paying customers and human beings!

jamierin Feb 8th, 2008 08:40 AM

Patrick - that is funny!! Nothing like talking to yourself!!

NeoPatrick Feb 8th, 2008 11:19 AM

The only reason I don't talk to myself very much, is that I usually don't like the answers I get.

FainaAgain Feb 8th, 2008 12:56 PM

:)

ElendilPickle Feb 8th, 2008 03:07 PM

My mother always said she talked to herself because there wasn't anyone else around who was interesting enough to talk to. :-D

Lee Ann