Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oh Goody I'm going to Memphis for 4 days. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my 12 and 16 year old daughters. Staying at the downtown Marriott (priceline 80 bucks!!) Oldest daughter will be at a fencing tourney at convention center, so there will be no blues clubs on this trip.I need some restaurant suggestions, please. Yes, I used the search engine here, but I need to be specific:
1. Kids hate barbecue
2. I don't eat meat- fish on occasion
3. We can't tolerate smoke

So, Italian is fine, basic American, they even like Thai and Japanese. I like upscale restaurants, too. They will behave and I don't minding spending the bucks, you live once! Thank you for any help and suggestions!!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM

You might try Owen Brennan's if you like New Orleans (where the original one is/or was) style food. Good fish and my 14 year old daughter can even find something good on the menu. I'm sure its a bit of a drive from the convention center, but not sure. Or you might try Napa Cafe - the herb salmon is terrific.
Good luck to your daughter!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM

I'll top my July trip report for Memphis
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that mah! I think my youngest will love the ducks at the Peabody. My husband brought her the whole duck outfit when he stayed there about 7 years ago, so she will like to see that in person. I do want to stay rather close during the tourney and taxi if I must, but I am no fan of driving in a strange city.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Hi LLindaC,

We were in Memphis last year, and stayed at the Peabody. Right across the street from the Peabody was a fun restaurant called "Automatic Slim's". We are vegetarian, and they had a menu that was very accommodating to us. They prepared a special dish for the both of us that was very good. The cheese plate was good too. It was a nice sit-down restaurant with an upscale look, but we felt totally comfortable with jeans.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:02 AM

For fine dining in downtown Memphis - Felicia Suzanne's, Stella, Chez Philippe at the Peabody. We also like Lolo's and the restaurant at the Madison Hotel, Grill 83. You probably can access these menus online.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I have several decisions to make now!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Oh Linda, no BBQ. It's such a shame because Memphis just has the best!!

Anyway if you are out East of downtown, try these 2 restaurants:

We always enjoy Jarrett's. It's a great little bistro.

http://www.jarretts.com/

Also, try Mr. B's, it's cajun. Great food. Try the gumbo!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Chez Phillippe has a grand High Tea if you and your daughters like to treat yourselves. You need to make reservations.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM

I live in Memphis. You mentioned Thai food, and my favorite restaurant is Bhan Thai on Peabody at the Bellevue intersection. Taxi to this spot from downtown shouldn't be ridiculous as it is maybe two miles away. It is in a remodeled home and is lovely. You won't have to spend a fortune, but it has an upscale feel with cloth napkins, tablecloths, etc. I agree with earlier post about the misfortune of not liking BBQ. If your crowd likes sushi, Sekisui has several locations, including one near downtown. I believe closest is on Belvedere at Union Ave, but phone book or concierge should be able to verify. Also nearby is Huey's, a local favorite, and while they are famous for burgers (which I understand you don't eat) they have other things you might like and the teens would enjoy it. A tradition is to ask for toothpicks to shoot into the ceiling through a straw. Onion rings are homemade and fantastic. Most any place will have a choice of non-smoking, particularly those I have listed.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I haven't eaten red meat in 30 years and gave up poultry 10 years ago. Still indulge in a touch of fish. Now, what's really crazy, is my 16 yr old has now decided to adhere to my kind of eating! Her father (my ex) is ready to kill both of us, LOL! I think it's going to be slim pickings near the Convention Center, so I'm writing all this info down! Thanks again!