Search

Mendocino

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mendocino

My Aunt has suggested Albion River Inn when I am visitng Medocino. While she typically has no idea what she is talking about, I am hoping this time will be the excetion. Any thoughts about good food in Mendo?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Moosse Cafe in Mendocino is great
as is 955 Ukiah, also in Mendocino.
Albion River Inn is good, the atmoshpere
can be lively and fun.

R5
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM

What kind of food do you like? We ate at the Albion River Inn many years ago and thought it was terrific.

I agree with R5 on the Moosse Cafe. I also like the Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino and Chapter & Moon in Ft. Bragg. Sharon's by the Sea (Ft. Bragg) has a good reputation, but we found our lunch to be good, but not special.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for helping! Primarily, I am looking for GOOD local fresh catch of the day. Thoughts?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:32 PM

I don't know about local fresh fish. I don't think of the area as a big fishing spot, but I could be wrong (they do have a harbor - where you'll find 2 of the restaurants I mentioned in my earlier post.) You can get some good smoked salmon at Roundman in Fr. Bragg. Another good bet, IMO, is Tote Fete in Mendocino. My husband and I like to get an assortment of salads, etc. and have a picnic lunch on the headlands.

Have fun! I love Mendocino.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Just returned from Mendocino. I had my best meal at the Moose Cafe. I also ate at Cafe Beaujolais (good) and 955 Ukiah (fair). I hope you have great weather as I did; in any case, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Such a unique place.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Oh, you are a brat, Kim! You knew that I would be checking to see if you logged on to this terrific site. I told you that these GREAT people would help you out. See, there have been TWO votes for Albion River Inn. We ate there twice during our week stay. Since this is for your birthday, be sure to mention that when making a reservation. If they still do what they did in the past, your table will be party-ready when you arrive.

I am sure that any of these suggestions will be wonderful. The fodorites have helped us out on many vactions.

Love, Aunt Pam
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Another vote for the Moosse. My husband's clams were the best he's ever had, said he. I was really underwhelmed with dinner at the MacCallum House. I had vegetarian lasagne and it was dry on top and too heavy/salty. Isn't the Albion where they have the piano player? Or was that the Little River Inn? We went there once, it was good and really fun...help! We loved our dinner at the Mendocino Hotel- very good food, service and very romantic!In town, the Mendocino Cafe is a great little lunch spot. Full of locals. For a good picnic, there's a tiny little place called Lu's Kitchen where you can pick up great wraps and go out to the Headlands or to one of the state parks. And by all means, drive north to Pacific Star Winery. It's the best picnic spot anywhere! Absolutely breathtaking!
www.pacificstarwinery.com
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM

I too, am looking for input on Mendo...thought I'd stop there for the night on my way moving down to San Francisco. I am alone, with my dog and need a good, clean, reasonable hotel to stay in. Also looking for good food recs. I've heard good things about Cafe Beaujolais but is it too fancy/romantic for only me? Any places on the water or with outdoor seating so I can take the dog are major bonuses!!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Has anyone been to see Dr John Gray's (men from Mars Women from Venus) Wellness Center featuring oxygenated pure water treatments?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I ate at Cafe Beaujolais on my own. I felt comfortable there, though I think it is overrated. I had two fantastic meals at upscale restaurants in Lodi recently. Nothing in Mendocino can touch it! That said, as a quaint community, Mendocino is lovely. I thought my lunch at the Moose was the best meal I had there. The setting is a bit more casual. It has outdoor seating, but you'll have to ask about bringing your dog in.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM

The MacCallum house was dog friendly, but not cheap. The two places I mentioned above, Lu's and the Mendocino Cafe allow dogs. Here's a list of dog friendly places in Mendocino:
http://tinyurl.com/hyb82

watercolor, I'd be interested in your Lodi experiences. Could you post a thread about the restaurants and things you did? We've been twice and think it's the best kept secret in CA.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM

LLinda-- You are right. Lodi is a well-kept secret. Amador county, in my opinion, beats Napa or Sonoma areas for quaint wineries. And none of them charge for wine tasting. That's true of the wineries in Lodi, as well.

I had two of the best seafood dishes I've experienced anywhere in/near Lodi. In Woodbridge, adjacent to Lodi, there's an upscale hotel and spa called Wine and Roses. Lovely rooms and suites and the restaurant (in a Victorian house on the property) was first rate. I had the best salmon dish of my life there, and my sister said the same. The same people own Rosewood bar and grill in downtown Lodi. Excellent food there, as well.

Hope this helps
WT