Ogunquit, York or Portsmouth (NH)--Can't decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching and searching for nice inns (not Motel 6 style motels) for my husband, me and our dog for our trip next September, 2011. At the moment, I have us scehduled to be driving down from Camden on a weekday , hoping to avoid weekend traffic along the highway. (Staying at the Lord Camden in Camden). We would like to spend 2-3 nights along the southern Maine coast. We would like a town which will offer good restaurants and interesting shops. I'm sure they are all have gorgeous ocean walks. My dog friendly choices:
Sheraton Harborside in Portsmouth, NH
The Gazebo Inn in Ogunquit
1730 Crest Harbor (very expensive and more luxury than we require!)

We do not allow our dog off leash (because she eats EVERYTHING!) and don't require space for her to run and play.

Which base would you recommend? (we would like a day trip to Marblehead, Ma and perhaps one into NH to see the leaves)
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM

Dogs are not allowed on Ogunquit beach May through September. Not sure about York beach but I don't think it's what you're looking for, I find York beach (Long sands Beach) to be kinda honky tonk.
I guess that leaves Portsmouth, though I don't know what kind of doggie-laws they have. Maybe check with the pet-friendly hotel to see what they know regarding that general neighborhood?
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM

You might also consider Kennebunkport.

We stayed here years ago with our hound and liked it alot.

http://www.yachtsmanlodge.com/
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
nlg

Hope you have a great trip. Several years ago we stayed at the Lord Camden Inn and loved it. We have also been to Ogunquit and Portsmouth and both are lovely and are close enough to go to both. We didn't spend the night in either place-just went for lunch and day trip. Portsmouth is wonderful town to walk around in and we loved the Marginal way(ocean walkway) in Ogunquit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM

When are you going? Many places let dogs on the beach when there are no lifeguards, like before 10 AM and after 5 PM. Check out the Old Orchard Beach /Ocean Park area, not fancy OOB is a bit honky tonk, but much less upscale than Ogunquit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

AT the moment, we will be in the Ogunquit area Sept 27-29, 2011. I think I read somewhere that dogs are allowed on the beach in Ogunquit after the middle of September so I think we should be ok.

Since beach walking is so weather related (and we have really bad luck with rain during our vacations), that we want a base which offers a town with shops and restaurants.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

According to the Ogunquit website, dogs are allowed on beaches Oct 1. I could easily move our dates to arrive on Oct 1 (which is a Saturday) but I think it more important to be in this area during the week to avoid more crowded conditions than to accommodate the dog on the beach.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Given the side trips you're interested in taking, Portsmouth would be a good choice. Several beaches nearby -- my favorite in the area is Odiorne State Park, which is a gem. (Not certain about dogs there.) Downtown Portsmouth is a very pleasant place, and the White Mountains of NH are an easy trip away up Rt 16. Marblehead is nice, but you might alternatively consider Newburypost: it's closer (to NH), and has both a great town and beach on Plum Island.

Wentworth-by-the-sea, a few miles south of Portsmouth, is a newly renovated old New England inn -- not sure if it's the type of place you're looking for.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I agree with the suggestion above to consider Kennebunkport. It is a dog crazy town (you should have several inn choices) and even in the summer, dogs are allowed on the beaches in the morning and after 6. I think after Labor Day it is even more lenient. Great restaurants, nice shops, and plenty of beach areas .
I like Ogunquit too, but it seems more crowded to me. I think it gets more daytrippers from Boston. York seems less interesting to me but there are really a couple of different towns there. Not as impressed with the stores or restaurants there. Portmouth is great for food and shopping, but seems more like a great town than a shoreline destination.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I found a highly rated inn called Captain Jefferd's Inn on Tripadvisor. I am not sure I like it better than Gazebo Inn in Ogunquit. Both have dog friendly options away from the main house which is fine with us and each have private entrances. CJ's Inn pet fees are $30 per night vs $10 per stay at the Gazebo.

I have a fine line to walk--we HATE boring chain hotels and basic motels. The quality and charm of our accommodations are really important to me. My husband goes wild with flowered wall paper, antiques and lace. So it may boil down to which Inn he prefers and not the town itself. But it sounds like we should be pleased staying in either Kennebunkport or Ogonquit (I learned that dogs are permitted on the beach in Ogonquit beginning oct 1).
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Just to add to the confusion, you might also want to consider Portland. It is really dog friendly and has a real foodie scene as well as lots of interesting shopping. Not as south as you'd like but a city to consider for another time perhaps.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I live in the Portland area & took my mother, who was visiting from FL, to Ogunquit overnight recently. We stayed at Almost Home, a B&B in Ogunquit but not intown or on the beach. You could, however, walk to both but it was a bit far for us, so we drove. We loved the B&B & highly recommend it. The owner has a sweet rescue dog & I believe she allows dogs. Downtown Ogunquit has a nice choice of restaurants & shops, beautiful beach area, wonderful paved walkway along the water (Marginal Way) off of Perkins Cove & of course lobster. We always bring our visitors to Ogunquit. I'd say stay in Ogunquit, stop in Portland on your way through for lunch on the water & a stroll through the Old Port. You could also drive across the bridge to Fort Williams (about 4 miles) stopping along the way for a sandwich & soda, grab a table up on top of the hill overlooking the islands & the 'most photographed lighthouse in the world'. If you're looking for a good lobster roll, drive South on Rt. 1, heading to Old Orchard Beach & Pine Point. Find Bailey's Lobster Pound (not the restaurant you come to first but owned by the same family). These are the best lobster rolls anywhere around (filled with meat & in big soft rolls & for the best price around)keep on driving out to a parking lot overlooking a small beach that hardly anyone is on & enjoy watching the fishing boats & kayakers padding the inlet. This is another place we take all our visitors. Then drive a mile to Old Orchard, find parking & walk the beach (they have what we call pier fries that are soooo good). Yes, the area is a tourist trap but the beach & fries are worth going for! If you need suggestions about Camden/Rockland restaurants, etc., we lived there too so just holler. BTW, crowds will have thinned out after Labor Day - shouldn't be too bad anywhere. Rt. 1 is always busy around Wiscasset area.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

At the moment, our dates in Ogunquit will be Sept 27, 28 and 29 (midweek). I hope this is a good time of year touring the coast of Maine. Unfortunately Almost Home does not accept pets.

We will be in Camden, Me 2 nights, Sept 25 and 26. Any restaurant suggestions for Camden would be helpful. Thanks for the tip onBailey's Lobster Pound. I love lobster rolls!

I wish we could stay in every town mentioned on this thread. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM

A lot of people choose to visit this area in the late spring. The hidden secret for off season is that Sept, Oct are really wonderful months that also include local produce with seclusion and few crowds!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM

we love the sise inn in portsmouth....lots of good things in portsmouth too: waterfront.... strawberry bank museum... great food...

there are a couple of B&B's in cape netick (sp), just north of york that are very nice overlooking the lighthouse...

wentworth by the sea just south of portsmouth is a grand old dame of a hotel...one of the remaining wooden ones... its a marriott with a fantastic indoor pool and water views from many windows... we love it...

chauncey creek restaurant in kittery, just north of portsmouth is a great lobster place and quite unique...limited parking so go early... closes oct 12 weekend...
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM

one very unique trip is to take the casco bay ferry ride out into casco bay from the waterfront in portland.... parking at the pier on the main street along the harbor... $5 for seniors... the mail boar run daily is partially narrated
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM

s/b mail boat run
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM

stage neck inn in york harbour is older but a lovely place for lunch or to stay...