Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Official Warning About BART Service Starting Today
Notices

Official Warning About BART Service Starting Today

Aug 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Official Warning About BART Service Starting Today

I just saw this article on the SF Chronicle website and wanted to alert visitors as many of you seem to use BART and also for our Fodorites that use BART especially for commuting.

The first problem could be at 5:00PM today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MA5Q.DTL&tsp=1
Aug 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Topping for anyone that is planning on using BART. Also, the update states that MUNI has or will cancel the Powell St. cablecars as evidently they are concered about demonstrators on them.
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM

A friend of mine was caught in the early July demonstrations at Civic Center or Powell street BART stations, there had been no warning then and BART police didn't make any arrests. After that, they warned that next time they will not be as lenient and would take action. From that experience, I think any future demonstrations and attempts to disrupt service will be mitigated much faster, as now BART police have had more time to plan when caught by surprise.

From my friend's experience, I think commuters are not going to stand for it, and won't be as patient either, especially in light of what just happened in London. I was on the surface of a BART station once when a small demonstration took place, and SFPD immediately stepped in to help the BART police and they had it under control quite quickly.

I would not let it deter my commute or travel schedule.

Search this Thread