Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Off the beaten path wineries in Napa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/off-the-beaten-path-wineries-in-napa-147928/)

Alexsis Jan 7th, 2003 10:22 AM

Off the beaten path wineries in Napa?

Leaving this weekend for Napa and would like suggestions for lesser known wineries in the Napa area. Not looking to avoid the tourists, but would like to find wines that are not readily available in our home state.<BR>Like hardy reds, french-style varietals. Last time we visited Arroyo and although plain, the wine was great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

wino Jan 7th, 2003 10:35 AM

Rombauer is a neat one and a fun drive.

katie Jan 7th, 2003 10:37 AM

Hess Collection, Artesa, Sequoia Grove, Millat, Duckhorn. First two are very scenic others have good reds. Duckhorn does not have tasting room, but you can visit and purchase 1/2 or full bottles.

SA Jan 7th, 2003 10:59 AM

I'll give you some good ones but the majority are in Sonoma or between Napa &amp; Sonoma. BR Cohn (also great olive oils), Ledson, Quivera, Rugucsi, Pride (best Vigonier you'll find) &amp; Preston (lots of unusual Reds). Preston has a great bakery &amp; the grounds of Ledson are wonderful.

G Jan 7th, 2003 12:06 PM

Try Dutch Henry. Wines (really great standard California varietals) are only available via the winery. Tasting room is amidst the barrels. Incredibly friendly staff.<BR><BR>It's in Calistoga on the Silverado Trail. Actually, most wineries along the Silverado trail are a good bet.

xxx Jan 7th, 2003 12:11 PM

Rombauer, Plump Jack, Newton, Robert Sinskey.

Tim Jan 8th, 2003 08:20 AM

You might try William Hill. It is a really neat ride up Atlas Peak and the wines are pretty good. At the bottom of the hill is a small winery called Del Dotto. It's easily missed. I also recommend Duckhorn. I stayed at the Wine Country Inn (also highly recommended) and tasted a few of Duckhorn's wines at the evening tastings. The Silverado Trail suggestion is correct. Lots of great wineries.

Connie Jan 10th, 2003 08:15 PM

Artesia, SW of Napa is a beautiful facility with fabulous views and a deck where you can enjoy your wine. Opus is incredible to see. Reservations are a must. There is only one wine and they charge $15. to tour, but it is beautiful. Jarvis Winery is supposed to be incredible -- caves, waterfalls etc. I have not seen this one though. You must have reservations there too and I think $10. per person.

LilMsFoodie Jan 11th, 2003 02:43 AM

I'm partial to Newton....stunning gardens great reds and very big chards that have lots of fans (not me however, too much oak). <BR><BR>It was started by the original Sterling Vineyard investor but is now owned by Veuve Cliquot I think. Gorgeous place, excellent reds.<BR><BR>The wines at Sterling are also exceptional. The winery is spectacular and you can buy some very special reds that are not available elsewhere. Taking the gondola is great.<BR><BR>I love Cakebread as well, very small and highly regarded.