Off-the-beaten Path NYC?

Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:13 AM
Diane

Off-the-beaten Path NYC?

We just had a nice weekend in NYC. Well, actually the purpose of the trip was to see our daughter in Staten Island, so we combined it with a return to a part of the city I really never spent much time in! We left the car in SI, and took the ferry over. Something I'd never done before. We had taken a $129 weekend-rate room at the Holiday Inn Wall Street. What an incredible deal! The room was super. We grabbed a map after getting off the ferry and decided to hoof it (it wasn't but a 10-minute walk). I was surprised to see how many tourists were in the Wall Street area. Everyone wants their picture taken with "The Bull." (Yes, me too, I have no shame.) We checked in around 5PM, and I restrained myself from taking advantage of the offer for 24-hr internet surfing on the T-1 unit on the desk. (My husband would have killed me if I'd logged on, this was supposed to be a week-end off!) The room was huge by NY standards. We touched up our dinner clothes, showered and had a beer from the mini-bar while we waited for Holly and her friend to meet us. Grabbed a cab to the Village, and wandered around a bit before we decided to try a little Italian place - Cuchina Pesce - which turned out to be inexpensive and not bad at all. After dinner, walked around some more before stopping for coffee. Took a cab back to the hotel (and sent the girls on to the ferry in the cab -- it was sprinkling a bit). Next AM the sky was bright, so we walked over to the South Street Seaport and had breakfast at the Sea Port Cafe, looking out at the tall ships and skyscrapers. We walked over to City Hall Park, which was blooming and beautiful, the World Trade Center, Trinity Church, really, you don't need to be an architecture buff to enjoy the variety. Back to the hotel to check out by noon and catch a (free) ferry again. It is a lovely ride in beautiful weather! Spent the rest of the afternoon in the Silver Lake section of Staten Island. I'm going to like having an excuse to zip up to the city for fun. It's different than going up on business, and we'll have a chance to do a lot more exploring. I haven't lived there in 30 years, but everytime I do go up I'm impressed at how nice the city has become.

Search this Thread