Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Off the Beaten Path Ideas for travelling with a toddler?

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone might have suggestions for a March trip that would be fun, relaxing, and interesting for both ourselves and our 2-year-old? Before having children we traveled all over the world with backpacks, and somehow since giving birth, we've only mustered a couple of trips to Europe, Mexico and Hawaii. I'm feeling bored with these predictable, safe options, but am fully aware that we need somewhat predictable and very safe options for travelling with our son. Oh, oh, oh!

Does anyone have ideas for off-the-beaten path travels (around 1 week) either within the US or internationally that might quell my need for excitement, but that are also appropriate for a toddler? Cabins in remote areas? Safe beaches where no one speaks English? Unknown vacation rentals where winter tourists are few and far between?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Does the beach need to be warm enough for swimming? If not, (or a maybe is okay) I have a great suggestion.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

We're up for anything! Swim, no swim...whatever is fine.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
GoTravel

Beaches where few speak English would be Miami.

Miami is very culturally diverse and you can take day trips to the keys and the Everglades.

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Well, this may not be "exciting" enough, but the forgotten coast of Florida is my favorite getaway. There is "civilization" on St. George Island with lots of restaurants, etc. to choose from, but I like the more ... remote?... can't think of the right word... beaches of Indian Pass and Cape San Blas Florida. There's a state park on San Blas with rental cabins. That beach was ranked #1 in the US by the guy who rates beaches every year. If you like to kayak, there are gorgeous rivers that feel like you are in a Tarzan movie. You could rent a pontoon boat for the day on St. Joe Bay, or take a ferry over from Indian Pass to a deserted island. There are LOTS of rentals in the area. Check vrbo.com or local rental agencies. I'll find the link for the state park cabins. One B&B option that is all by itself on a turtle beach is the Turtle Beach Inn. Not your typical B&B. Great breakfasts each morning, but each room has outside entrances off the wide porches. You will feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, on a gorgeous beach and may not see 10 other people on the beach all week.

http://www.turtlebeachinn.com/
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/

Here's the state park page (with cabins)

Either, both, well, really all of the above would be great for an "off the beaten path" trip with a toddler.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for these suggestions. This is exactly the type of thing I was getting at....just can't seem to say what I want right now. Thanks again!

Jodi
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM

You are more than welcome. There ARE some places to eat on San Blas. There's an ice cream shop. Just not much of anything. THE place to eat in the area is an old general store that sells the best (and cheapest) seafood you will ever have. www.indianpassrawbar.com

It and the Pink House in Savannah are my two favorite restaurants in the US - although they are worlds apart in decor, atmosphere, etc. If you want yuppieville you can drive over to Seaside (although there ARE some nice shops there) but St. George Island is closer. My BF and her family rent a big house with pool each year for a multigenerational vacation each year. There are 4 little granddaughters younger than 5 and they LOVE the SGI vacation. I just like the remoteness of Indian Pass/ San Blas more. Apalachicola is a neat little town and there's a good seafood restaurant on the marina in St. Joe. But, other than that, nary a strip center with tshirt shops to be found.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!!! If you need suggestions for the Oregon Coast, let me know. I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Have a great weekend.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Great! I may take you up on that. A good friend from TX days now lives outside Beaverton. Need to go for a visit "some day". I've driven up to Crater Lake and dipped down to Portland from WA, but that's about it. Hope it works out. Other Fodorites have vacation places in the area and I bet they'll chime in too
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM

We really enjoyed Vancouver island (we stayed in Tofino on the "wild" west coast) and the Southwest (primarily Monument Valley, Mesa Verde and Santa Fe) with our toddler. Lots of good hiking and exploring options that are also suitable for young ones.

Tofino is known for winter storm watching (though I don't know what it is like in March). I understand the Southwest is just gorgeous in the winter under a blanket of snow (we were there in May).

As to your other considerations... English spoken in both places but Tofino felt pretty remote as did parts of the Southwest. Both were extremely beautiful (in very different ways).
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Does your child have a passport? If not, March is cutting it a little close to do international.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Oooh, Tofino is a great idea. I've always wanted to go there and this could be a perfect time. We are hoping to do a Springtime trip to the SW this year, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, our child has a passport, so international is no problem. Any additional suggestions?